Singapore Expats

My PR application experience

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Max88

My PR application experience

Post by Max88 » Wed, 21 May 2014 4:02 pm

Hi all,

Just to share my PR application experience.

I starting working in Singapore back in November 2011. Hence after 2 years working, I have decided to apply for permanent residence on December 2013.

After waited exactly 5 months in pending status, the on-line enquiry was changed from "Pending" to "Rejected"

I felt discouraged, totally moody to work the whole day. Come to think of it after waiting and waiting, the Rejected word has left strong emotion.

Letter arrived, stating I can resubmit after 6 months and they would be happy to reconsider the application.

Now I know there has been several version in the content after browsing in the forum.

A) Resubmit again in 6 months
B) you and your family can continue to reside here on your respective valid passes.
c) Resubmit in 2 years time

PR rejected, but life still go on. At least I still can work in Singapore and it is not the end of the world.

Life's too short to think about unhappy things. ^^

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 May 2014 4:23 pm

Yep, this is what we have been telling folks for several years. As long as you get the 6 months or 2 years letter you are okay. But if you get the you can stay here and work on your respective employment pass, it's a sorry but we don't want you. At least the first two indicate that there is still hope (although I've seen them rejected as well - but not often).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Wed, 21 May 2014 4:28 pm

Does this apply for SC application too? i.e. do people get rejection letters with them being asked to try again after x months/years?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 May 2014 4:49 pm

I think they are just rejected and you are welcome to stay here on PR. That way, you will either give up your PR and move on, or if they really get into trouble with the opposition, they can just refuse to renew your re-entry permit. You can still stay in Singapore a long as you want, but the first time you leave the country without a valid re-entry permit, that all she wrote. You just lost your PR and when you try to re-enter you will be given a bog standard SVP for 30 days or 90 days depending on where you are from.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Wed, 21 May 2014 4:49 pm

OP - ya at least its an optimistic reject. u will get it sooner or later.

Btw, when people get PR, it states that one can apply for citizenship after two years. Is this thing a generic message or are there cases where this invitation to apply for citizenship is not there ??
mystic_river wrote:Does this apply for SC application too? i.e. do people get rejection letters with them being asked to try again after x months/years?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 May 2014 5:12 pm

As far as I know, it's a standard PR letter of acceptance. However, there is nothing there to indicate whether you stand a snowballs chance in hell of succeeding. It's just like the online EP qualification for application tester on the MOM site. It only tells you if you meet the minimum qualifications "to apply" for a pass. NOT if you will be successful. Somehow people always seem to gloss over that fact and then come whining on the site how they were already "qualified" for the pass. The various Ministries of the Singapore government are extremely good at giving themselves a backdoor "just in case".

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Wed, 21 May 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks, thats reasonable.

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As far as I know, it's a standard PR letter of acceptance. However, there is nothing there to indicate whether you stand a snowballs chance in hell of succeeding. It's just like the online EP qualification for application tester on the MOM site. It only tells you if you meet the minimum qualifications "to apply" for a pass. NOT if you will be successful. Somehow people always seem to gloss over that fact and then come whining on the site how they were already "qualified" for the pass. The various Ministries of the Singapore government are extremely good at giving themselves a backdoor "just in case".

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 22 May 2014 2:15 am

In the early days (1990's) the PR letters did not include the sentence about SC. I think it was added to differentiate PR from SC as some idiots assumed PR gave them voting rights etc.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 May 2014 6:58 am

Yeah, I remember seeing some of those kinds of posts as well back then.

Max88

Re: My PR application experience

Post by Max88 » Mon, 22 Jan 2018 7:45 am

Hi all,

I applied for the 2nd time in April 2017.
Less documentation required by officer for 2nd application (Apparently they keep your physical papers for 5 years)

Checked via ICA website and approved in January 2018.
Checked my work pass status and it is invalid and work pass renewal has been withdrawn. O:)

Heng HR never ask me to pay :wink:

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 22 Jan 2018 10:48 am

Max88 wrote:Hi all,

Less documentation required by officer for 2nd application (Apparently they keep your physical papers for 5 years)

Checked my work pass status and it is invalid and work pass renewal has been withdrawn. O:)

Do you mind to share a bit about your profile?

Max88

Post by Max88 » Mon, 22 Jan 2018 2:05 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:

Nationality: Malaysian Chinese
Salary: around 50k
NOA 5 years

:)

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 22 Jan 2018 3:07 pm

Max88 wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

NOA 5 years

Your application should have been straight forward. Everyone on this board will agree with me on this :)

cittakaro

Re:

Post by cittakaro » Mon, 22 Jan 2018 5:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep, this is what we have been telling folks for several years. As long as you get the 6 months or 2 years letter you are okay. But if you get the you can stay here and work on your respective employment pass, it's a sorry but we don't want you. At least the first two indicate that there is still hope (although I've seen them rejected as well - but not often).
My PR applications were rejected, I think three times with that note "welcome to work with valid pass". But finally I got the PR in 2017.

Just improve your profile and keep trying.

Max88

Post by Max88 » Mon, 22 Jan 2018 10:29 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Max88 wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
NOA 5 years

Your application should have been straight forward. Everyone on this board will agree with me on this :)
Thank you for your kind words. I did not intend to apply 6 months after 1st rejection, probably same result since lack of profile improvement. My work pass journey has ended from Work Permit > S-pass > EP.

To other applicants, do not give up. Keep trying =)