Singapore Expats

New to Singapore - Advice Needed

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Wowwow

New to Singapore - Advice Needed

Post by Wowwow » Mon, 19 May 2014 5:55 pm

Hi,

We are relocating to Singpore in December and currently looking at schools. Can anyone please tell me if International Schools in Singapore are open to those children with learning difficulties, or some conditions e.g. diabetes, epilepsy? How are the schools handling the situation? I have tried searching but no success, so any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

dandamakem

Post by dandamakem » Mon, 19 May 2014 7:28 pm

I'm applying for both of mine to go to AIS (Yr 4 & Yr 9) but when they sent me the enrolment stuff boy oh boy they wanna know ABSOLUTELY everything!! A gf said that they ust slug an extra 20K if a shadow aide is needed - why does that not surprise me given their already exorbitant fees. Yikes!

Out of interest what Country are you coming from?

D

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: New to Singapore - Advice Needed

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 19 May 2014 8:57 pm

Wowwow wrote:Hi,

We are relocating to Singpore in December and currently looking at schools. Can anyone please tell me if International Schools in Singapore are open to those children with learning difficulties, or some conditions e.g. diabetes, epilepsy? How are the schools handling the situation? I have tried searching but no success, so any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.
They're very poor at it IMO and there's no subsidized support of course.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 19 May 2014 10:25 pm

I've heard anecdotally some of these International Schools rejecting kids with learning difficulties eg dyslexia, but have not looked that closely myself as my kids are younger. I would search hard for a school that puts education values first and is not too business/ profit oriented.

Wowwow

Post by Wowwow » Tue, 20 May 2014 7:46 am

We are coming from Korea. My child is attending an International School and she has epilepsy. We have searched a lot but could not find conclusive information on how the schools manage students with epilepsy. Do they normally reject the application? Hope not.

Has anyone out there had any experience?

Many thanks in advance.

jk21
Regular
Regular

Post by jk21 » Tue, 20 May 2014 10:04 pm

Trying to figure out what schools can and will work with students who need different supports is tricky in Singapore. I am a fellow frustrated mom.

At a social event, I met someone who worked for 'live and learn.' I wish that I had paid for their consulting support prior to figuring out schools on my own. She had a good overview of different schools and how willing they were to work with families.

I have NOT used their services, but based on my perception from a social interaction, I would suggest contacting them and seeing what kind of guidance they are willing to provide and what their fee structure is. Good luck.

dandamakem

Post by dandamakem » Wed, 21 May 2014 10:15 am

Ahhhh see it's brilliant posts like the above that remind me why these expat forums are such a great resource. Thankyou for posting the above counselling service - will ensure in final package they pick up the tab for this, be the best money spent by the sounds of it. Thanks again!! x

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Wed, 21 May 2014 10:47 am

Most of the International Schools in Singapore are for-profit and as such they tend to have lean or non-existant resources when it comes to more holistic support of children with learning disabilities. And you are correct, they can and will reject applicants they feel they can't support (or require you to have/pay for additional support). Good luck.

jk21
Regular
Regular

Post by jk21 » Wed, 21 May 2014 11:07 am

I agree with everything posted so far on these posts, that it is a challenge to get proper support for kids at the International Schools in SG. Original poster asked about support for epilepsy. Would that entail more learning support or medical action plan?

I know of one large for-profit school that is not very welcoming of kids who need learning support BUT has a significant nurse's office that seems professional and proactive when it comes to dealing with medical needs. Don't know if that is common among the schools.

I don't think that I have seen any other posts that triggered a conversation about nursing support / medical action plans.

Wowwow

Post by Wowwow » Wed, 21 May 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks all for your reply.

I want to know if any International Schools have "capability' of having children with certain conditions e.g. epilepsy, diabetes. It is important for us to know that children who happen to have illness can still go to normal schools and the school are equipped to provide children good quality of life.

I found one school "Integrated International School" that looks quite welcoming, but I would very much appreciate it if you could recoomend any other schools. Please pm me if approrpriate.

Thank you.

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Thu, 29 May 2014 9:06 am

I'm pretty sure most schools have a school nurse, even the smaller ones.
If your child requires learning support you may be rejected at profit, or not for profit schools.

TryingTBBMom

Special needs schools…experienced

Post by TryingTBBMom » Sat, 31 May 2014 6:04 pm

Singapore has a limited amount of schools that actually deal with Special Needs. Prepare yourself for the reality that your child will be rejected by a few schools. I would be applying right now and quick!.If there is no learning issues and he or she is at grade level, then thats a positive. If its just epilepsy then you must disclose all medical info to best serve your child.
Your correct with mentioning IIS,Winstedt and Dover Court.
Of the 3, Dover is the only that does have true mainstream.There is usually a long wait list. IIS is a "special needs school located in a few rooms above a strip mall with no facilities. Do not believe their website. Indeed they can tailor an ILP but for a medical condition that mostly can be handled by the school nurse or medication it would be sacrificing his or her education and self esteem. There are no facilities at IIS and the School are located above a Cold Storage in a strip mall. IIS is not just small its more along the line of home schooling. I am not saying that IIS is a bad school, just be sure to check it out in person before you commit. Many schools advertise they have LR but will take your non refundable application fee and then not accept your child. Look towards a not for profit
When I looked at IIS as an option for my child with ADHD he would have been in a room with ages ranging from 6-13, all with a range of learning, physical, developmental and emotional issues.
If you can get into Dover then that would be ok. I have heard both positive and negative about Dover and I do know it serves both streams in a correct fashion. I cannot comment on Winstedt, but have heard it is has Learning Support Stream and another post said it was ok..As many parents in your situation you will get desperate and feel hopeless.
If you are open to a small school you may want to look at Avondale. It's a NSW curriculum and a small mainstream school but do sometimes depending on the child have been open minded. The Admin is extremely helpful and will be straight up if they think they can work with your child/children.
The school is small but growing, they have facilities, they have play fields a small theater and offer art music tech PE and language. They have sporting teams and a nice community feel. It is mainstream but they have with been known to work with kids other schools have rejected for no Special Needs just ADHD or minor LR, and with great success.
Every situation is different, the best advice is to lower your expectations, be flexible, DO NOT believe the schools websites. You need to do school visits. You should gather the most positive of school and doctor reports and apply to at minimum 4 schools. REMEMBER
Many of the schools websites say they serve Learning Resource or Special Needs, but you must apply and pay first. You will not get a For-Profit school to even look at an applicant to see if they MAYBE and a big maybe even consider accepting your children. A Not- for-Profit or Christian school may advise prior or give you an indication but still there is no guarantees.
There are great resources/therapists outside the school structure but they will be expensive. Best of Luck!