Singapore Expats Forum

Torrents

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
User avatar
LoneRanger
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 02 Feb 2014
Location: Singapore

Torrents

Postby LoneRanger » Mon, 19 May 2014 3:15 pm

Hi,

My wife and I moved in here about a couple of months ago and have fairly settled in. :)

Had heard a few horror stories on torrent downloads here, so just wanted to know what would be, if there is, a safe size limit for downloads, let's say, per month.

Do they monitor bandwidth usage? If they are clamping down, don't want to really risk it.. :o

Thanks.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34666
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 May 2014 5:55 pm

Word is that Singtel and Starhub throttle you speeds. ViewQuest and MyRepublic do not so I'm told. There is several discussions in the Internet/Electronics Forum on this board. Do a search up there using the excellent search facility that can be found at the menu across the top of the page under the logo.

User avatar
LoneRanger
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 02 Feb 2014
Location: Singapore

Re: Torrents

Postby LoneRanger » Fri, 23 May 2014 9:34 am

Emergency123 wrote:
LoneRanger wrote:Hi,

My wife and I moved in here about a couple of months ago and have fairly settled in. :)

Had heard a few horror stories on torrent downloads here, so just wanted to know what would be, if there is, a safe size limit for downloads, let's say, per month.

Do they monitor bandwidth usage? If they are clamping down, don't want to really risk it.. :o

Thanks.


Torrents do seem to work here with good speeds ( according to me :D ) obviously depending on seeders.I am on a 100 MBPS Starhub cable plan.I get download speeds of unto 4 MBPS .

However,I've heard of plans to actively block torrenting in the coming days :cry: :cry:


Thanks for your replies. What I am concerned about is a fine for downloading. I have read on this forum about somebody being slapped with a fine. But that is an old post, so wanted to know if something like that has happened in recent times.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Fri, 23 May 2014 9:55 am

From what I know (I could be wrong though), they make an example of somebody every now and then, but that's about it. Pray that you're not "it".

User avatar
LoneRanger
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 02 Feb 2014
Location: Singapore

Postby LoneRanger » Fri, 23 May 2014 9:57 am

Emergency123 wrote:Do you have a link to the topic where the TS was fined ?


sutra494301.html

And, check out the 11th post here:

ftopic98233.html

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3188
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Fri, 23 May 2014 12:56 pm

Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

formula1fan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu, 10 Jul 2014
Location: Singapore

Postby formula1fan » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 2:20 am

yeah i am new to sg so im very curious how aggressive they are cracking down on p2p sharing and torrents. In the u.s they do attempt to make an example out of someone by fines upwards of 10,000 USD but anyone else have any recent information? The post and links on this thread dates back to the stone ages..well not really but 2010 haha

User avatar
LoneRanger
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 02 Feb 2014
Location: Singapore

Postby LoneRanger » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:05 am

formula1fan wrote:yeah i am new to sg so im very curious how aggressive they are cracking down on p2p sharing and torrents. In the u.s they do attempt to make an example out of someone by fines upwards of 10,000 USD but anyone else have any recent information? The post and links on this thread dates back to the stone ages..well not really but 2010 haha


On asking around, found out that some do share P2P without fear and some have discontinued. So, it is a very gray area. I am staying out of it... :?

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:17 pm

Considering some ISPs (MR) have specific packages marketed towards BitTorrenting, I don't think you have much to really worry about.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 2:15 pm

I proudly torrent every six months and it's not illegal.

Linux distros.

Kahu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 09 Jul 2014

Re : Torrents

Postby Kahu » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 9:38 pm

Hi,

you can use a VPN connection if you fear a fine.

User avatar
LoneRanger
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 02 Feb 2014
Location: Singapore

Postby LoneRanger » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 9:58 am

nakatago wrote:I proudly torrent every six months and it's not illegal.

Linux distros.



How does one explain the fines, then?

User avatar
LoneRanger
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 02 Feb 2014
Location: Singapore

Postby LoneRanger » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 10:09 am

zzm9980 wrote:Considering some ISPs (MR) have specific packages marketed towards BitTorrenting, I don't think you have much to really worry about.


Yes, you are right.

https://support.myrepublic.com.sg/entries/22853523-Does-MyRepublic-throttle-BitTorrent-P2P-traffic-

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9294
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 11:53 am

LoneRanger wrote:
nakatago wrote:I proudly torrent every six months and it's not illegal.

Linux distros.



How does one explain the fines, then?


Torrenting is not illegal. What may be illegal is copying of the content (software, movies etc.) and this, if illegal would be illegal regardless the protocol/approach.

Another possibility is that there are some ISP contract based restrictions. For example, Starhub used to have restrictions on running typical Internet services from home (mail, www etc.). Take a look at your contract conditions to see if there is anything about the torrents.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34666
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 9:46 pm

http://www.techspot.com/news/55443-thes ... affic.html

Of all the countries, Singapore is 3rd for th
e highest percentage of throttling.


Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest