Singapore Expats Forum
 

GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
lanuchiba
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun, 09 Sep 2018 1:05 am

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by lanuchiba » Sun, 09 Sep 2018 5:39 pm

I'm moving to Singapore in a couple of months and I need advice regarding what area would be best to rent a place. Kindly help. Thank you.

Priorities:
- budget: S$ 1500-2000
- workplace: Outram, preferably within 2 stops away from Outram Park MRT station
- size and/or type of ‪property‬: studio (partially furnished will do too), preferably with gym and pool facilities
- will you have a car here? No
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post: MRT/bus within 5 mins walking distance
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? No
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? Yes

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? I may not cook too often, so around a place to get sub-S$10 lunch/dinner.
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? Not necessarily
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? No
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) no

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? Both are fine


Lanu

Singapore Property Search

 

shibaandcat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 3:54 pm

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by shibaandcat » Fri, 19 Oct 2018 4:10 pm

Priorities:
- your budget: around 2500 - 3000
- your workplace/s: CBD, Downtown
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking: 2 bedrooms, no less than 650 square feet
- will you have a car here? No
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). : LESS THAN 10 MIN walk to the MRT
- I would want a 30 minutes or less commute to work

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on?
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities?
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? Yes, two dogs
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) No

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? Flexible

Thank you for the help!

User avatar
Maverick2011
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 12:43 am

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by Maverick2011 » Sat, 20 Oct 2018 12:59 am

Priorities:
- your budget (approx range): Upto 3K per month
- your workplace/s (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood): Cecil street, Near Tanjong Pagar MRT (100m) & Telok Ayer MRT (600m)
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc): Min 2 bedroom, 1000 sq ft plus, open space and facilities for 1.5 year old kid
- will you have a car here? No
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). 500-600m access to Bus or MRT to work
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? Yes, after few months. 1.5 year old child
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?): Private (international)
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'?: Out of Pocket
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? Nope
- have you identified any such schools yet? Nope

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? Would like Indian store nearby
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? Park etc. for child. Indian community of similar families - young professionals
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? No
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) No

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? Peace and quiet, but not too far from city
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? Floor in Landed house at home, 2500 sq ft
- what are any current commute times like? 1 hour each side, but want to limit my commute time to 30-35 mins

Kronhollis
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 9:18 am

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by Kronhollis » Tue, 04 Dec 2018 9:30 am

Hi, moving to Singapore early next year. We have a family of 5 with children aged 10-7. Not sure what schools we would go with.


Priorities:
- your budget (approx range): 9-12k per month
- your workplace/s (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood): Queenstown area
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc): 2500+ sq ft with 4 bedrooms. A pool would be great!
- will you have a car here? Yes
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). Close to subway would be convenient
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? 3 children (10,9,7)
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?): Private (international)
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'?: Employer funded
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? Nope
- have you identified any such schools yet? Nope

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? Walking to local shops and restaurants would be fun.
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? Yes, kids would be participating in soccer. My wife would want a gym nearby.
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? Yes. 1 yr old dog needing regular exercise.
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) No

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? No, we currently live in a rural area so definitely want some privacy but city life would be fun
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? Floor in Landed house at home, 2500 sq ft
- what are any current commute times like? 1 hour each side, but want to limit my commute time to 30-35 mins

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2010 11:37 pm

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by The Ref » Tue, 04 Dec 2018 11:22 am

I would look around the Faber Green / Terrace / Hills area. Not close to MRT but really handy for UWC / Tanglin / Dover / Canadian (senior) International Schools. Not good if you want the French or Australian school, but they are nowhere near easy to get to Queenstown.

But please - dont pay 9-12K per month as that just ruins it for everyone. Even if your employer is paying, the old days the owners though we could all afford that and it was terrible. Look at what actual prices are going for in the area and pick a middle value, but negotiate.

Second, dont underestimate how expensive having 3 children is in Singapore.
Kronhollis wrote:Hi, moving to Singapore early next year. We have a family of 5 with children aged 10-7. Not sure what schools we would go with.


Priorities:
- your budget (approx range): 9-12k per month
- your workplace/s (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood): Queenstown area
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc): 2500+ sq ft with 4 bedrooms. A pool would be great!
- will you have a car here? Yes
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). Close to subway would be convenient
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? 3 children (10,9,7)
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?): Private (international)
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'?: Employer funded
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? Nope
- have you identified any such schools yet? Nope

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? Walking to local shops and restaurants would be fun.
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? Yes, kids would be participating in soccer. My wife would want a gym nearby.
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? Yes. 1 yr old dog needing regular exercise.
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) No

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? No, we currently live in a rural area so definitely want some privacy but city life would be fun
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? Floor in Landed house at home, 2500 sq ft
- what are any current commute times like? 1 hour each side, but want to limit my commute time to 30-35 mins

vaanyramani
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 2:26 am

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by vaanyramani » Thu, 17 Jan 2019 3:19 pm

Hi, I going to located in Sg soon. I needed a room nearer to airport. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Friso97
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 9:07 pm

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by Friso97 » Wed, 12 Jun 2019 9:16 pm

Hi, I might be starting an internship this September in Singapore for 3 months. I'm currently in University and would like to live together with other students around my age but still have a private room. I would like advice on where to search for student housing.

Priorities:
- your budget (approx range): 1000-1500
- your workplace/s (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood): Changi Business Park
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc): Student complex/house
- will you have a car here?: No, I will look into getting a bicycle.
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). : 10-15 Minutes walk/bicycle ride
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s?: No.
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) : No.
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? : Maybe
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? : No.
- have you identified any such schools yet? : No.

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on?: 10-15 minutes walking distance would be nice.
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities?: Currently I cycle 20 minutes to the gym, so this doesn't matter much.
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise?: No.
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?): No.

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet?: I currently live in a busy city-centre.
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? Student house with 9 roommates
- what are any current commute times like? Very short.

Sunshine99
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 02 Jul 2019 2:36 pm

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by Sunshine99 » Tue, 02 Jul 2019 3:26 pm

Dear all, I'm a Malaysian and recently my husband has just received an offer to be transferred to Singapore. Being the closest neighbor to Singapore, we'd like to live as a local but still enjoy a reasonably comfortable life. Appreciate your advice/ suggestions for us. :) :)

Priorities:
- your budget SGD2500-3000
- your workplace/s Suntec City - circle line
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc) condo, 800sf, 2-3 bedrooms
- will you have a car here? No
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). Max 10min to MRT station, preferably circle line
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? Yes, 1 year 7 months
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) Private preschool (anchor operators)
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? Will be funded but we want to keep it to max SGD800 a month
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? No
- have you identified any such schools yet? Yes. Sparkletots, Eton House and My First Skool.

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? Yes, preferably within 10min walking distance to: Food court/ eateries, supermarket and clinics.
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? No
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? No
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) No

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? Currently staying in a suburb but we have car so commuting to work is easy. Once in Sg, would prefer to stay within 10min from any of the circle line MRT stations.
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? 3300sf
- what are any current commute times like? 8am, 6.30pm.

Thanks in advance. :) :)

tdm51
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 4:58 am

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by tdm51 » Mon, 26 Aug 2019 5:11 am

Current Manhattan dweller.. looking for something nearish to my current situation but obviously will be open minded :)

Priorities:
- your budget SGD - $4000-$5500
- your workplace/s - One Raffles Place
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc) - condo, 700sq ft (give or take), 1 or 2 bed (dont need 2) -- would like a high rise with amenities
- will you have a car here? Probably Not
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). - Would prefer to be walking distance (if it even makes sense) or 20 minutes with MTR
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? No
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) No kids
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? Havent negotiated but assuming they will pay for my apartment.
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? No kids

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? Yes, preferably within 10min walking distance to: Restaurants/Bars/Stores/etc.
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? No
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? No
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) No

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? I currently live in Manhattan, so very used to and prefer a dense urban environment with lots within walking distance -- I realize it will be an adjustment :)
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? 700sf
- what are any current commute times like? I walk 10 minutes to work.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 2:44 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by Pal » Mon, 26 Aug 2019 10:29 am

tdm51 wrote:
Mon, 26 Aug 2019 5:11 am
Current Manhattan dweller.. looking for something nearish to my current situation but obviously will be open minded :)

Priorities:
- your budget SGD - $4000-$5500
- your workplace/s - One Raffles Place
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc) - condo, 700sq ft (give or take), 1 or 2 bed (dont need 2) -- would like a high rise with amenities
- will you have a car here? Probably Not
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). - Would prefer to be walking distance (if it even makes sense) or 20 minutes with MTR
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? No
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) No kids
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? Havent negotiated but assuming they will pay for my apartment.
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? No kids

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? Yes, preferably within 10min walking distance to: Restaurants/Bars/Stores/etc.
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? No
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? No
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) No

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? I currently live in Manhattan, so very used to and prefer a dense urban environment with lots within walking distance -- I realize it will be an adjustment :)
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? 700sf
- what are any current commute times like? I walk 10 minutes to work.
Do you want us to recommend an agent for your house hunting? Agents recommended are on our panel with good service testimonials.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property
Image

kazi6830
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 10:10 am

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by kazi6830 » Wed, 18 Sep 2019 10:17 am

Hello! I will be studying at the National University of Singapore Jan-May 2020. I'm looking for a living space, like a studio apartment (wifi, kitchenette, washer/dryer, A/C, etc.), for myself and my partner. I've tried looking on .. Does anyone have any agents they would recommend connecting with? Thank you!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37456
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Sep 2019 11:59 am


Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 2:44 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by Pal » Wed, 18 Sep 2019 12:05 pm

kazi6830 wrote:
Wed, 18 Sep 2019 10:17 am
Hello! I will be studying at the National University of Singapore Jan-May 2020. I'm looking for a living space, like a studio apartment (wifi, kitchenette, washer/dryer, A/C, etc.), for myself and my partner. I've tried looking on .. Does anyone have any agents they would recommend connecting with? Thank you!
Jan to May is 4 months lease. It will be difficult to find a private apartment for such short lease unless you go for Serviced Apartments.

Try send in an enquiry to ALL the providers in this page:
https://www.singaporeexpats.com/singapo ... tments.htm

Then select one that suits your requirements and budget.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property
Image

Ozziemum
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 4:57 pm

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by Ozziemum » Thu, 03 Oct 2019 6:31 pm

Priorities:
- your budget (approx range) [u]Max $4K per month[/u]
- your workplace/s (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood) District 19
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc)[u] 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, would like a pool/play ground [/u]
- will you have a car here? No
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). Either walkable to school or close to transport. Have 2 young kids
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? Yes school age
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) International
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? Funded
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you?
- have you identified any such schools yet? Yes, AIS

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? Would be nice
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? No
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? Yes. A cat. Under discussion at the moment.
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) No

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? Happy to be involved in the bustle and culture of Singapore.
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? 3 bedroom house with pool, 3 bathrooms. Not expecting this in Singapore.
- what are any current commute times like?
We both have cars and takes less than 10 minutes. But again, we don't expect Singapore to be like Queensland.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 2:44 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by Pal » Thu, 03 Oct 2019 10:42 pm

Hi, do you want us to recommend an agent for your house hunting?

Our panel of agents are very experience with good reviews and records.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property
Image

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests