Singapore Expats

GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by JR8 » Mon, 19 May 2014 10:02 am

As mentioned here > http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... highlight= 'This question is coming up often enough that I'm wondering if we could jointly build-out the above list of considerations into some form of template list.
So rather than the at times unanswerable question (i.e. not enough input), from step#1 people are cued to provide as many useful data points as possible. '

I wasn't sure if this would fit better in the 'Relo/Moving', or 'Staying/Living' section. But maybe if we make any headway on this template, any final version can get posted in the appropriate place, and any prelim discussion here might perhaps be better moved/deleted (so it's not a distraction, and/or draws the actual question being asked in this prelim topic?).

--------------------------------

'The below are a basic set of criteria that will help determine the answer to the subject question. The more points you are able to answer, the better able people will be to interpret your situation and guide you.

If you are at an early pre-relocation stage, you might not yet know specifics (precise budgets, whether you’ll have a car, and so on), but answering as much as possible below is a good starting point, and the input data can be refined and added to later on.

Priorities:
- your budget (approx range)
- your workplace/s (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood)
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc)
- will you have a car here?
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one).
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s?
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?)
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'?
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you?
- have you identified any such schools yet?

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on?
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities?
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise?
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?)

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet?
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home?
- what are any current commute times like?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: It can be best starting by casting a broad net. I.e. if you answer that you need to be able to walk to the shops, this alone might exclude several areas/options that otherwise could work well for you if say taking a taxi/bus/MRT to the shops once or twice a week would suffice.

MOD NOTE: Made sticky, made title more obvious as a guide.

Search By

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by the lynx » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:46 am

Yes North East line (purple line) will be suitable for your children if you don't mind a bit of traveling to Beach Road. Unless you're very sure about the International School location, staying within East West Line (green line) would be easier to reach Beach Road either via train or bus network.

Post by 00132987 » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 3:03 pm

Priorities:
- your budget: $4500
- your workplace/s: Seletar Airport
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking: 3-4 bedroom. Facility with pool/playground, family friendly
- will you have a car here? No
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one): preferably within 10-15 minute walk of MRT station
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? Yes, Pre-school
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) Either
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? Out of pocket
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you?

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? Would be nice to be able to walk to market/restaurants.
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise?
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) No

- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? Prefer more peace and quiet.
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? 3000 sq ft suburban home
- what are any current commute times like? 35 minute drive
Thank you very much in advance!

marcs

Post by marcs » Wed, 16 Nov 2016 11:14 pm

HELLO. I am moving to SG as a single profesional. So I am looking for a Studio/1BR. Currently I am staying at The Sail, Marina Bay but I do need an area that has a bit more live in it, i.e. cafes, outdoor restaurants, neigbourhood, maybe some shops etc. I have no car and am happy to commute on the MTR or Bus for up to 20mins. Gym and Pool inside the complex would be nice.
Where can I move to? Any tips much appreciated.
Marc

Priorities:
- your budget 3000-4000pm
- your workplace/s MBFC
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking 1br or studio, gym, pool
- will you have a car here? NO
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post YES
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? NO
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) NO
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? OWN PAYMENT
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? NO
- have you identified any such schools yet? N/A

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? local shops and cafes, restaurants in walking distance
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? outdoor running
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? NO
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) NO

- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? BOTH IS FINE
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? FLat
- what are any current commute times like? 10mins

txya

Post by txya » Tue, 20 Dec 2016 9:56 pm

hello Marc, would think location is an impt factor. singapore is relatively small and well connected by transport nodes.

CazzaSing

Post by CazzaSing » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 6:12 am

I'm enjoying reading these threads. I arrived last week and am currently looking for accommodation. It's hard to know where to start!

ButtheadE

Post by ButtheadE » Tue, 20 Jun 2017 5:55 pm

00132987 wrote:Priorities:
- your budget: $4500
- your workplace/s: Seletar Airport
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking: 3-4 bedroom. Facility with pool/playground, family friendly
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one): preferably within 10-15 minute walk of MRT station
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? Yes, Pre-school
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) Either
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? Out of pocket

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? Would be nice to be able to walk to market/restaurants.
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) No

- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? Prefer more peace and quiet.
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? 3000 sq ft suburban home
- what are any current commute times like? 35 minute drive
Thank you very much in advance!
Seletar is really a good place. Quiet and easily accessible to all parts of Singapore. The best part is their roti prata!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Jun 2017 2:23 pm

ButtheadE wrote:
Seletar is really a good place. Quiet and easily accessible to all parts of Singapore. The best part is their roti prata!
Quiet? NOT when they are testing jet engines on the test beds. Accessibility is good today (not like when I lived there for 15 years - I moved out in 1999). Roti Prata? NOT. They've not had good Prata in Jln Kayu since Thesavi was a single griddle located in a corner of the Chinese Kopitiam that used to be located smack in the middle of the now Seletar Expressway. Since he bought the shophouse and the adjoining shophouse and all the other restaurants moved in, his quality has gone to crap. What used to be the best Prata in Singapore (large and fantastic - written up in the ST - they still keep it on the wall in the shop today) it's now the smallest, oiliest prata in Singapore. The rest of the shops that are serving prata are 'okay' but still nothing to write home about but they ARE better than Thasavi. In fact, when I was living in the camp, I used to go out to the Kopitiam (when it was still outside of the gate/bus parking lot where the express runs today) every Sunday for breakfast, 2 prata (1 telur, 1 kosong) & a couple cups of teh tarik) and the Sunday Straits Times. It was in a prata discussion on another board around 15 years ago where I created my nick which I've been using every since on a number of boards - sundaymorningstaple.
sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

_maarten_

Post by _maarten_ » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 11:29 pm

Hi all.

New here, I saw the post and thought I'll try.
I am soon to be relocated to Singapore, probably October-November, and wanted to ask the same question as everybody does :)
So hope you have any suggestions based on my answers below.

Much appreciated!
Maarten

Priorities:
- your budget (approx range) 2000-3000
- your workplace/s (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood) between Outram and Downtown Core
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc) at least 60 sqm, up till 75sqm, 1 or 2 bedrooms (actual BEDroom :)), basic facilities like washing machine and maybe storage space, balcony optimal.
- will you have a car here? no, but possibly a bicycle
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). MRT-subway/buses walking distance of 10-15 mins
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? No
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) No
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? Maybe
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? Not really. Belgian and lived in Dublin, Barcelona, Copenhagen
- have you identified any such schools yet? No need, I'm old enough, or maybe too old

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? 10-15 mins walk
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? not particularly
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? No
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) Oh No :)

- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? currently I bike for 30 mins or take equivalent on train/bus + 10mins
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? 60sqm, 1 bedroom, 1 living room, open kitchen, bathroom with washing machine
- what are any current commute times like? 30-40 mins

Jothr

Post by Jothr » Tue, 14 Nov 2017 10:09 am

hi, thanks for this thread! I found a very well located place and I really enjoy my time in Singapore

prateekcool007

Post by prateekcool007 » Fri, 08 Dec 2017 3:32 am

Hello Everyone
Please advise for my requirements:
Priorities:
- your budget (approx range) - below SGD1300
- your workplace/s - Changi Business Park
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking - Studio/Master Room
- proximity to transport required - MRT & Buses - I can walk up to 1KM

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? Hawker Center for Indian Vegetarian food, Supermarket or Budget grocery shops

Please advice which area's I should target and share (if any) contacts/references.
Thanks in advance.

akps

Post by akps » Wed, 20 Dec 2017 5:42 am

Hi Everyone

I got a job offer and will be moving to Singapore from India in Feb 2018. I am married and will be moving in with my spouse. I was hoping if someone can help me in deciding location, and which type of property should I go for renting?

Priorities:
- your budget (approx range) : 1000 - 1800
- your workplace/s (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood) Chai Chee Road
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc)
- will you have a car here? Studio / 1BR apartment
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). 10 min walking
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s?: No
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) : No
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? : No

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? : Yes, 20 min
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? : GYM
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? : No
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) : No

PhamHammer

Post by PhamHammer » Sat, 16 Jun 2018 10:28 am

your budget (approx range) $500-$800
- your workplace/s (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood) CBD
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc) 1 bedroom, gym would be nice.
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). subway/bus
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? No
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) No
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? Canadian
- have you identified any such schools yet? No

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? market/restaurants
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? Gym would be nice
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? No

- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? I would like to live close to work but rent near CBD is expensive.
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home?
- what are any current commute times like?

Gwyn265

Post by Gwyn265 » Mon, 23 Jul 2018 8:35 pm

Hi there,

We (me, my wife and our 2 year old daughter) are moving to Singapore with my work and we're looking for advice on the best area to live. We've looked at lots of articles online but am hoping for more of a local insight.

We're coming out in a months time for a bit of a recce prior to moving so any advice on how to get a good feel for an area while we are over would also be appreciated.

Priorities:
- your budget - 5,000 SGD
- your workplace/s - CBD/Chinatown
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc) 2 to 3 bed, gym, pool, lift if a high rise
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). MRT 10-15 min walk away
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? 2 year old daughter, will attend nursery
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) all nursery options
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? 'out of pocket'
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? No
- have you identified any such schools yet? No

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? walking distance to shops, market, coffee shop would be nice
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? places to run, restaurants/bar walking distance would be nice

- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? Currently live in a town but have lived in a city, would like some space nearby for our daughter (i.e. green space)
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? 3 bed town house
- what are any current commute times like? 30-45 mins

Thanks

SuF1x

Post by SuF1x » Fri, 10 Aug 2018 6:38 pm

Priorities:
- your budget (approx range) -2500-4500
- your workplace/s (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood) - Downtown Core
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc) - We are a young couple - 1 Bedroom apartment would be ok. If possible with separate office ace to have - GYM/Swimming pool
- will you have a car here? eed[/b]
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). - ideally within 30 minutes to Downtown Core area for work. not worried about others for now. .
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? no
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) N/A
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? N/A
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? N/a
- have you identified any such schools yet? N/A

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? happy to walk 15-20 min to shops
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? N/A
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) Unlikely. only maybe for a short holiday

- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? Currently live in central London. happy with hustle and bustle :)
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? small studio - would love to have separate room for office
- what are any current commute times like? travel time now 40min

I am about to start a well paid job in singapore and would like to up my life standards. Would love some advice on this. also some recommendations for agents.