Singapore Expats

GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Ozziemum

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by Ozziemum » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 5:54 am

Pal wrote:
Thu, 03 Oct 2019 10:42 pm
Hi, do you want us to recommend an agent for your house hunting?

Our panel of agents are very experience with good reviews and records.
Yes please

Search By

rossb9

Post by rossb9 » Tue, 27 Oct 2020 5:24 pm

Priorities:
- your budget (approx range) - 2000-3500k
- your workplace/s (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood) - One North MRT area
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking (#bedrooms, on-site facilities etc)
- will you have a car here? Would love high rise, 1 or 2 bed
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). within 5-10 mins to mrt
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? - no
- are you looking at private (international/fee-paying, or local schools?) no
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? out of pocket
- is remaining within a national curriculum important; if so what nationality are you? no
- have you identified any such schools yet? no

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? would love to be near good restaurants/hawker (big foodies), history and central to most things of interest (visiting guests)
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? no
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? no
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) no

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? I like the urban life style
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? 2 bed apartment
- what are any current commute times like? 15 mins by car

Thanks for the help guys.

If the price range is out please let me know if i should expect to pay more!

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 27 Oct 2020 7:14 pm

You can actually look in the One North area itself. There are some pretty nice condos there. One stop further away on the MRT will take you to Holland Village which will also have some choices for you. If you don't mind taking the bus (still should be less than 15 mins commute), then you could look at The Anchorage at Alexandra Road or even The Interlace (cool architecture but the price point may be slightly higher for a 2-bedder.)
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Bcfcjake

Post by Bcfcjake » Sat, 31 Oct 2020 6:19 am

Hi, new here seeking some advice please! Context- I'm a 28 year old British, due to be moving to SG in the next 2/3months. Averagely sociable, would like to save a bit of money each month but nothing too much maybe 800$ or so. Like to play football/soccer, not into the gym too much.

Priorities:
- your budget ----- $1000-2000 ish
- your workplace/s -----downtown core
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking -----1 bedroom, kitchen, bathroom
- will you have a car here? -----no
- proximity to transport? -----proximity to MRT (10mins or so) is preferred
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? ----no
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? ---employer will fund relocation and agent fees

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on?---easy access to shops and cafes preferable. Proximity to bars would be nice but not essential. I would only drink maybe once every 2 weeks.
High-rise view would interest me, however again, not essential as this is likely to come with a premium(?)

- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities?----not a top priority

- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? ----no

- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?)-----no

- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet?----- used to city dwelling
- what are any current commute times like? Around 20mins

Thank you!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 31 Oct 2020 10:26 am

Bcfcjake, your spec fits many place in Singapore. Where is your work place located?

Bcfcjake

Post by Bcfcjake » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 6:38 am

Thanks for getting back to me! My job is in the CBD (Marina One)!

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by TropicalExpat » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 7:58 am

Bcfcjake wrote:
Sat, 31 Oct 2020 6:19 am
Hi, new here seeking some advice please! Context- I'm a 28 year old British, due to be moving to SG in the next 2/3months. Averagely sociable, would like to save a bit of money each month but nothing too much maybe 800$ or so. Like to play football/soccer, not into the gym too much.

Priorities:
- your budget ----- $1000-2000 ish
- your workplace/s -----downtown core
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking -----1 bedroom, kitchen, bathroom
- will you have a car here? -----no
- proximity to transport? -----proximity to MRT (10mins or so) is preferred
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? ----no
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? ---employer will fund relocation and agent fees

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on?---easy access to shops and cafes preferable. Proximity to bars would be nice but not essential. I would only drink maybe once every 2 weeks.
High-rise view would interest me, however again, not essential as this is likely to come with a premium(?)

- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities?----not a top priority

- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? ----no

- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?)-----no

- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet?----- used to city dwelling
- what are any current commute times like? Around 20mins

Thank you!!
I would recommend taking a look at expat enclaves, like Holland Village and maybe around Robertson Quay area. If you've not lived in Asia before, this might be a good way to ease yourself into it. Get a one year contract and if you find you want more of a "local" experience, that first year will give you some exploring time.
I personally like the condos with facilities, BBQ, pool, gym, so it's all on site for the evening/morning work out/ weekend party.
Holland V is a bit out of your way ... another 10-15mins on public transport, but quite a few expats just take Grab (local version of Uber) and it's usually around 20mins.
Just don't choose somewhere too far east or west to begin with.

One final point, as you're coming from the UK. Remember, this is Singapore. Read up on the COVID rules here. Masks in public is a requirement (except when exercising) and there is a limit to the number of people who can meet. This is not the UK, where one could blag your way out of it. If you get caught breaking the rules, you butt will be fined and shipped back to that green and pleasant land (never to be allowed to work in Singapore ever again). Don't assume that other expats know the rules either. There have been several incidents of this.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 11:34 am

TropicalExpat wrote:
Mon, 02 Nov 2020 7:58 am

One final point, as you're coming from the UK. Remember, this is Singapore. Read up on the COVID rules here. Masks in public is a requirement (except when exercising) and there is a limit to the number of people who can meet. This is not the UK, where one could blag your way out of it. If you get caught breaking the rules, you butt will be fined and shipped back to that green and pleasant land (never to be allowed to work in Singapore ever again). Don't assume that other expats know the rules either. There have been several incidents of this.

THIS^^^^^
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 1:47 pm

Bcfcjake wrote:
Mon, 02 Nov 2020 6:38 am
Thanks for getting back to me! My job is in the CBD (Marina One)!
The lower side of the budget will not allow anything but a room pretty much independent of the location.
In the nearby area (Marina Bay) there is a number of very nice condos but I doubt 2k would be sufficient for an independent unit.

A bit further I think Tanjong Pagar and even more likely Tion Bahru should fit your budget and there are some high rise condos there as well as Pinnacle@Duxton, an HDB so no facilities but again high rise with very nice views, a standard better than ordinary HDB.

Robertson Quay and further up the Singapore River, also a number of nice condos locations but could be pricey,

Bcfcjake

Re: GUIDE: Where should I/we consider livingtmt? [Suggested v1.0]

Post by Bcfcjake » Tue, 03 Nov 2020 5:26 am

Thanks guys, that's really useful. Never been in Asia longer than 7/8months of travel which is obviously very different! Leaning towards the Tiong Bahru area based on what most are saying, however it's still early days and I have time left to contemplate!

Also, the advice re: Covid and the strict implementation is well received and I'll definitely be obeying the rules as if my Visa depends on it haha!