Singapore Expats

How to keep young boys entertained in Singapore

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
momofboys

How to keep young boys entertained in Singapore

Post by momofboys » Sat, 17 May 2014 9:08 pm

We are considering a move to Singapore. I have two young high-energy boys. Wondering how to keep them entertained/allow them places to play and be active in hot, humid climate.

Also looking for schools for them. My 5 year old has a hard time adjusting to new schools/ new classrooms. Any suggestions on how to help him? Are there particular schools we should look at?

Thankful for any advice you can give!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 May 2014 10:49 pm

Send 'em to OT for the evening sounds just about right.

Young high-energy boys? Check.

keep them entertained and allow them to play in a hot, humid climate? Check.

And they will learn a thing or two! Check.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 18 May 2014 1:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Send 'em to OT for the evening sounds just about right.

Young high-energy boys? Check.

keep them entertained and allow them to play in a hot, humid climate? Check.

And they will learn a thing or two! Check.
I clicked this thread to basically come say the same thing.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 May 2014 3:23 pm

:lol:

Great minds think alike! ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: How to keep young boys entertained in Singapore

Post by JR8 » Sun, 18 May 2014 6:48 pm

momofboys wrote:We are considering a move to Singapore. I have two young high-energy boys. Wondering how to keep them entertained/allow them places to play and be active in hot, humid climate.

Also looking for schools for them. My 5 year old has a hard time adjusting to new schools/ new classrooms. Any suggestions on how to help him? Are there particular schools we should look at?

Thankful for any advice you can give!
If you rent a condo, it should come with facilities, incl probably a pool. This seems to be quite a common place for young children to be encouraged to burn off their energy.

#2 can't be answered without knowing where you might choose to live, budget etc., as you won't want them commuting x-island twice a day.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sun, 18 May 2014 9:27 pm

SMS & Co,

Forgive my ignorance, but what is OT? I know you're not referring to overtime or "off topic."

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Sun, 18 May 2014 10:14 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:SMS & Co,

Forgive my ignorance, but what is OT? I know you're not referring to overtime or "off topic."
in this case, ignorance is bliss... OT = orchard towers

Dert42
Regular
Regular

Post by Dert42 » Mon, 19 May 2014 7:36 am

We have a high energy 6yr old boy.

Despite people recommending against it, we chose a condo with a nice big pool.
The idea is you don't use the pool often enough to warrent the extra expense or whatever. We go swimming 2-3 times a week or more. On the weekends we can easily spend 6 hours out there. So it's worth it to us.
We also chose a condo right next to the park connector. Another good activity is to ride bike to East Coast Park(ECP).
There is a nice big park at Pasir Ris with a sweet playground.
We haven't been here all that long and are still finding stuff.

It is hot and humid, but you kind of get used to it..Be prepared to sweat.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Mon, 19 May 2014 10:58 am

Momofboys,

I see you're new to this forum. Please ignore the sarcasm by Sundaymorningstaple and zzm. Generally they can provide useful information, but not on this post. Orchard Towers (OT) is mainly an area for prostitution. Not a place for young children to hang out.

A condo complex with a pool and playground is always nice for young kids. Sme indoor playgrounds are nice, but can be expensive.

What area of singapore were you planning on staying? Would your company be paying for school or would you pay out of pocket?

As far as schools go, here's what I did with my 2-year-old (although this might or might not work for a 5-year-old): When I visited to get enrollment info, I was told I could bring him to the school during morning outdoor play time a few times to get him used to the atmosphere. During this time, I was also able to talk to other parents about the school because it was when other kids were being dropped off. The school isn't perfect (no school is) but seems to be working out well, except for the fact he's been sick a few times. He still gets upset at drop-off but he's always as happy as a lark when I pick him up.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 19 May 2014 11:42 am

latest edition of playboy maybe?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 19 May 2014 12:51 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:Momofboys,

I see you're new to this forum. Please ignore the sarcasm by Sundaymorningstaple and zzm. Generally they can provide useful information, but not on this post. Orchard Towers (OT) is mainly an area for prostitution. Not a place for young children to hang out.
She said Young Boys, not children :)

And don't forget Orchard Tower is directly across the street from Forum Mall, which is all children's stores. Including one of the few Toys'R'Us in Singapore. Definitely is a place for Children :)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 19 May 2014 1:43 pm

Oh gawd this is too funny...

BedokAmerican and Dert42 gave good suggestions. Another way to keep them occupied and entertained is to sign up for zoo membership that gives unlimited visits all year round. Kids will love that.

Or check out playgroups in this forum. You will many parents who gather with their children to let them make friends and play together.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 May 2014 1:43 pm

Children of all ages. :cool:

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 19 May 2014 1:48 pm

zzm9980 wrote:

And don't forget Orchard Tower is directly across the street from Forum Mall, which is all children's stores. Including one of the few Toys'R'Us in Singapore. Definitely is a place for Children :)
what toys are we talking about here? :-|
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 19 May 2014 11:00 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

what toys are we talking about here? :-|
They will definitely have a lot of inflatables that will float in the condo pools suggested by Dert and BedokAmerican. They come in pairs too, which will be great since OP has two boys as long as they know how to share.