Singapore Expats

Donated Money

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Donated Money

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 15 May 2014 1:37 am

You can't throw good money at a bad problem and hope it will go away. Zuckerberg had good intention in trying to fix the education system and maybe he got an education himself. He might have better luck if he had approached the teachers and students and asked them directly what they need, bypassing the bureaucracy and the top-down approach.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mark-zuck ... 00933.html

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Donated Money

Post by JR8 » Thu, 15 May 2014 8:11 am

---------------
It's like there being famine in Ethiopia, you make a charity record, have a concert, raise millions, then dump 100,000 tones of grain in a warehouse on Djibouti docks, from where much of it was stolen.
---------------

Reminds me of a season long stint I did on expedition in a remote and deeper part of the Amazon - ah ... 25 years ago now.

We made our own encampment and had very limited fridge space (a couple of propane fuelled fridges!), they were reserved for our limited fresh meat supply, plus zoological samples. We had two photographers (me being one of them), and we had to regularly fight to get our film in the fridges, and staying there. Fresh milk daily for 40pax? Don't think so ...

So no fresh milk. But we had powdered milk, bought from the nearest town (c80 miles away). It was from USAID. It came in khaki cardboard boxes, the size of shoe-boxes. On the front was the US flag and the image of two hands shaking. Then some text 'Gift of the US people' etc.

That's the only source of milk we had, but we certainly weren't the intended recipients. I still have one of the empty boxes back home, as I found the situation so unexpected, and curious, it made an interesting memento for me.
Last edited by JR8 on Thu, 15 May 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 15 May 2014 10:08 am

Zuckerberg really needs to be learning from Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, or rather the two of them should be reaching out to him.

Zuck can still have his own preferential causes, like Gates' is Malaria in Africa for example, but rather than throw money away willy-nilly for the tax write-off, actually do something meaningful with it.....if that really is his driving force.

Love him or loath him, I believe Bill Gates is a geek on a mission. He does live the life of a billionaire to a lesser extent but gets out there and does the work. Zuckerberg is another 'Love him or Loath him' character but is one that's got himself into a position where he can and should actually start making a difference for good. Fingers crossed he learns from this, and avoids politicians in the future.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 15 May 2014 10:25 am

Bill Gates will leave a legacy that will probably outshine any other US plagarist I mean philanthropist.

Zuckerberg will leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth once we have fought a revolution against our masters.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Sat, 17 May 2014 12:24 pm

watched that movie The Interns although it's probably exaggerated, there's a big lesson about life experiences being as important as your IQ. I feel that if Zuckerberg had more life experience he would be able to make the donation more effective than just handing it out and expecting his money will fix it. He could have offered subsidized tuition, constructed new classrooms, get more facilities.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 17 May 2014 12:59 pm

In the fall of 2010, Mark Zuckerberg announced on Oprah that he'd be making a generous gift to Newark, New Jersey.
It was all a publicity stunt anyway. The sole intention was to deflect the bad press from the movie "The Social Network" which came out at the same time. And it worked, no one seems to recall the movie.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 31 May 2014 1:02 am

http://news.yahoo.com/zuckerberg-wife-g ... nance.html

"I think one of the things that we took away from this is that we wanted to do our next set of work in a place where we can engage more directly with the community and a place that we care about a lot. "