Orchard Road non-food Shopping Action.....

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Post Reply
User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8782
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Sinkapore

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 15 May 2014 4:10 pm

If I can't ride my motorbike up the sidewalk to the front of the shop, walk inside and grab what I need I'm not really interested in using the business. The old shop houses around Little India / Arab St are perfect for this. Even the HDB style shops are ok.

Screw the mall owners.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5281
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 15 May 2014 4:17 pm

JR8 wrote:Hahaha ^

Yeah, my wife doesn't mind getting lost in a mall for half a day.
LOL, if men can be very capable in navigating while driving and reading maps, surely trivial stuff like mall layouts wouldn't confuse them?

Having said that, I'm good with malls too, but only because I want to be able to go from entrance A to shop B, right into aisle C and cashier D, and back to entrance A, using minimum effort and with least amount of stress.

User avatar
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:37 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Darkest Telok Blangah

Post by Addadude » Thu, 15 May 2014 6:04 pm

the lynx wrote:Having said that, I'm good with malls too, but only because I want to be able to go from entrance A to shop B, right into aisle C and cashier D, and back to entrance A, using minimum effort and with least amount of stress.
But if somebody were to ask you how they get to say Serangoon Road from Tanjong Pagar, might you have some difficulty giving them directions? (Telling them to take a cab is not permitted!)
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11504
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 15 May 2014 11:51 pm

PNGMK wrote:If I can't ride my motorbike up the sidewalk to the front of the shop, walk inside and grab what I need I'm not really interested in using the business. The old shop houses around Little India / Arab St are perfect for this. Even the HDB style shops are ok.

Screw the mall owners.
Even worse are the malls that won't let motorbikes use the carpark.

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8782
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Sinkapore

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 16 May 2014 1:57 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
PNGMK wrote:If I can't ride my motorbike up the sidewalk to the front of the shop, walk inside and grab what I need I'm not really interested in using the business. The old shop houses around Little India / Arab St are perfect for this. Even the HDB style shops are ok.

Screw the mall owners.
Even worse are the malls that won't let motorbikes use the carpark.
...and then have security chase the sidewalk parkers away.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5281
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 16 May 2014 8:30 am

Addadude wrote:
the lynx wrote:Having said that, I'm good with malls too, but only because I want to be able to go from entrance A to shop B, right into aisle C and cashier D, and back to entrance A, using minimum effort and with least amount of stress.
But if somebody were to ask you how they get to say Serangoon Road from Tanjong Pagar, might you have some difficulty giving them directions? (Telling them to take a cab is not permitted!)
Hoo-boy, Tanjong Pagar MRT station itself is already a labyrinth of exits. Even a well-acquainted commuter will have hard time giving directions.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16522
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 16 May 2014 8:45 am

the lynx wrote:
JR8 wrote:Hahaha ^

Yeah, my wife doesn't mind getting lost in a mall for half a day.
LOL, if men can be very capable in navigating while driving and reading maps, surely trivial stuff like mall layouts wouldn't confuse them?

Having said that, I'm good with malls too, but only because I want to be able to go from entrance A to shop B, right into aisle C and cashier D, and back to entrance A, using minimum effort and with least amount of stress.
Naaah, there's a big difference.
Maps are 2D, malls are 3D. Plus there aren't 'navigational maps' to malls (oh how I wish Ion had something like it).
Map-navigation is simpler. Follow the map, the road-signs, as a worst case, note the position of the sun to maintain a bearing. Ion... has intentionally confusing floorplans and it doesn't even have external windows, you wouldn't know -like a casino- whether it's day or night.

Good on you for being a stealth-shopper. I seem to have only got as far as mastering that in the local NTUC!

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:58 am
Location: Singapore

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 16 May 2014 12:38 pm

Indoor location using your mobile phone :-)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8358
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 May 2014 3:42 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Indoor location using your mobile phone :-)
https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/1685827?hl=en

  • 313@somerset
    Century Square
    Hougang Mall
    ION
    Liang Court
    Mandarin Gallery
    Marina Bay Sands
    Metro (Department store)
    Ngee Ann City
    Orchard Central
    Paragon
    Parkway Parade
    Scotts Square
    Suntec City
    Takashimaya (Department store)
    Tampines 1
    The Centrepoint
    Tiong Bahru Plaza
    Triple one
    Wheelock Place
    White Sands
    AMK Hub
    Bukit Panjang Plaza
    City Square Mall
    Clementi Mall
    Forum The Shopping Mall
    Funan DigitaLife Mall
    Great World city
    Heartland Mall-Kovan
    Jurong point
    Marina Square
    Milenia
    nex
    OG Albert Complex
    OG Orchard
    OG People Park
    Palais Renaissance
    Park Mall
    Quayside Isle
    Raffles City
    Sim Lim Square
    Square 2
    Tanglin Mall
    Tanglin place
    The Central - Clarque Quay
    United Square Shopping Mall
    Velocity Novena Square
    West coast Plaza
    Wisma Atria
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39773
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 May 2014 4:05 pm

Nice one, Nak! :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8358
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 May 2014 4:15 pm

Definitely on Android; not sure about iOS.

When you're in the building, leave wifi on (because GPS won't work indoors). Keep zooming until the floor plan appears. There will also be buttons to switch between floors.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39773
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 May 2014 4:35 pm

Played with it on my SII using Maps and NEX. as I zoomed in on NEX the floor plan came into view. Once that happened the floor selection showed up on the right side of the page. Pretty neat. Defo can become a stealth shopper for sure. Straight in and to the nearest hardware shop, if any. If none, forgeddit. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16522
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 16 May 2014 6:07 pm

nakatago wrote:Definitely on Android; not sure about iOS.

When you're in the building, leave wifi on (because GPS won't work indoors). Keep zooming until the floor plan appears. There will also be buttons to switch between floors.

Ooh, interesting. That was unexpected, thanks!

p.s. I look forward to telling the missus that her 'far cooler' iPhone can't get mall floorplans :lol:

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 751
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Tropical cosmopolitan island

Post by maneo » Fri, 16 May 2014 11:36 pm

nakatago wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Indoor location using your mobile phone :-)
https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/1685827?hl=en
Interesting.
Thank you!

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 17 May 2014 1:14 pm

JR8 wrote:
p.s. I look forward to telling the missus that her 'far cooler' iPhone can't get mall floorplans :lol:
Then you'll be eating crow when she shows you it works almost identically on Google Maps for iOS. Nak just said he didn't know as he hadn't tried it, not that it didn't work. In fact, Google Maps is pretty much 100% feature completely and identical on both platforms now.

Image

Unless the Android version has Singapore's number one mall, just west of palais renaissance.... :cool:

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests