Singapore Expats

Youth football (soccer)

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
anon123

Youth football (soccer)

Post by anon123 » Tue, 13 May 2014 11:59 pm

We are moving from the US to Singapore this summer. We have an 8-year old son who is playing select soccer here. He really enjoys the competitive league he is currently in and we would like to find something similar in Singapore. From the information I can gather on the internet, youth soccer works differently in Singapore than in the U.S. It appears that we will have to sign him up for an academy rather than a league. Is this correct? Can anyone recommend a good academy that is fun, but also competitive. I have found the following ESPZEN, Cosmo Unitied, Football Passion, and Little League, International Soccer Academy, Turf City FC. Comments on any of these?

jk21
Regular
Regular

Post by jk21 » Wed, 14 May 2014 9:17 am

Yes, soccer here is different and the level of play and the emphasis on winning is much higher. The footwork of the 6 year olds blows me away.

Well have a select girl footballer so at her level and age, JSSL-Arsenal was the one option. Other clubs are fielding serious boy teams.

Once you are here, you can come to a trial session, you see the level of play and coaching style. They see your son and give you an idea of what team/practice time slots they would suggest.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 14 May 2014 10:05 am

Since teams are based all over the island it might be a good idea to see where you live as well, then pick any of the AC Milan, Chelsea, Liverpool, Cosmo type academies that best suits your location and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Football tends to start either very early in the morning or later in the afternoon as nobody wants the younger kids to play when it's 35-Degrees with no shade.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE