Singapore Expats

Buy a van for domestic driving?

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
zonemelt

Buy a van for domestic driving?

Post by zonemelt » Tue, 13 May 2014 9:42 pm

I'd like to get a 7-8 year old car for my commute to work in Jurong. Used to drive a diesel, though it's not really possible to buy one this age in SG.

Been thinking is it possible to buy a van like a Opel Combo for domestic use? Example would be http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info ... 95&DL=1445

Not trying to advertise the car in particular, but in terms of price / COE remaining it's cheaper than a domestic car so wondering if there are legislative blockers already in place and if I shouldn't even consider it?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 May 2014 10:37 pm

Commercial plate only, you would have to have a registered business in order to purchase.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 13 May 2014 11:41 pm

In addition to being registered to a business, the reason the commercial vehicle is cheaper is because there is no PARF rebate when the vehicle is scrapped.

If a car is not quite 10 years old at the time it is scrapped (9 years, 11 months, 20 days :D ) you are entitled to a refund of 50% of the original additional registration fee paid.

Once you factor this in, you'll see that commercial vehicles are priced in line with private vehicles and you really won't save any money.

And given today's high COE renewal prices, you'd need to be insane to keep a car past 10 years.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... bates.html

zonemelt

Post by zonemelt » Wed, 14 May 2014 11:08 am

Fair enough, and good to know about the lack of PARF rebate, thanks guys

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 14 May 2014 11:29 am

if you know your cars (mechanically), have the patience to put up with the car being away a few days for repair every now and then (or more often), COE cars with a few years left can some times be value buys.

there are a few bullet proof (relative to their age) models out there.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

zonemelt

Post by zonemelt » Wed, 14 May 2014 1:40 pm

taxico wrote:if you know your cars (mechanically), have the patience to put up with the car being away a few days for repair every now and then (or more often), COE cars with a few years left can some times be value buys.

there are a few bullet proof (relative to their age) models out there.
yep, that's the plan!