Singapore Expats

A Doctors Precription for a F&#* up

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

A Doctors Precription for a F&#* up

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 12 May 2014 4:38 pm

So here is the deal if you are having unprotected sex the night before and you need an emergency contraceptive pill also known as the Morning After Pill. So you walk up to a pharmacy and ask for one and they won't give you one over the counter :???:
Apparently this needs a doctors prescription :o , so I had to take the gf down to the doctor and answer a few questions and got a note for a dose of levonorgestrel.
Now, this is not an anti abortion drug or whatever but it seems a bit of a hassle really to get down to the doctor to get a prescription for this and pay 56$ for a stupid pill + unwanted consultation charges + 1 hour wait.

note to self: bring some from my next trip to India where they give these things away like candy for free.

Moral of the Story: A condom on time is Sublime
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Re: A Doctors Precription for a F&#* up

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 12 May 2014 4:57 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:So here is the deal if you are having unprotected sex the night before and you need an emergency contraceptive pill also known as the Morning After Pill. So you walk up to a pharmacy and ask for one and they won't give you one over the counter :???:
Apparently this needs a doctors prescription :o , so I had to take the gf down to the doctor and answer a few questions and got a note for a dose of levonorgestrel.
Now, this is not an anti abortion drug or whatever but it seems a bit of a hassle really to get down to the doctor to get a prescription for this and pay 56$ for a stupid pill + unwanted consultation charges + 1 hour wait.

note to self: bring some from my next trip to India where they give these things away like candy for free.

Well I for one completely agree it should need a doctor's visit.... Putting all the moral issues to the side, purely to make people take safe sex seriously, not just having this easy / get-out-of-jail Morning After solution (and which will not protect against all the STD's either).

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: A Doctors Precription for a F&#* up

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 12 May 2014 5:33 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:So here is the deal if you are having unprotected sex the night before and you need an emergency contraceptive pill also known as the Morning After Pill. So you walk up to a pharmacy and ask for one and they won't give you one over the counter :???:

Nah! Focus, concentration and timing is sublime :P

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 12 May 2014 7:22 pm

You can do a home made day after with standard BC pills. I can't remember the number or combination but an ex googled and did it a few years ago and it worked.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 12 May 2014 11:35 pm

PNGMK wrote:You can do a home made day after with standard BC pills. I can't remember the number or combination but an ex googled and did it a few years ago and it worked.
But do you really know if if worked? The chances of conceiving are not that high in the first place

ali-sha

Post by ali-sha » Mon, 12 May 2014 11:47 pm

I agree with the BC pills. I did it numerous times in the Middle East, although there I didn't need a prescription for the pills, I could get them over the counter.
Sydney - London - Abu Dhabi - Sydney - Melbourne - Singapore - Where to next?

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Tue, 13 May 2014 1:34 am

Why not just put her on regular BC pills from now onwards? Nice & simple.

Sure beats condoms (never, ever even try those Durex Performa ones...), stocking up on "day after pills" or trying to make a homemade version of one using BC pills... which need a prescription anyway. :)

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 13 May 2014 3:24 am

Put her on? Are you kidding? Hell, why not just spay her?

I think as a dr visit prevents overuse or prescription to the wrong person it's in the woman's best interest.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 13 May 2014 3:29 am

^^^^^^

I knew that would be coming... and if not from Hannieroo, then someone else.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 13 May 2014 9:45 am

Those morning after pills are some heavy stuff, and can have some pretty noticeable side effects. It's for a reason they are not sold the same way as aspirin.

I don't know how it is so difficult to get a condom (just stock a few, or get a 7/11), or get the pill prescribed.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 13 May 2014 10:11 am

For a person who cares about her health, morning after pill is not the preferred method of birth control lah.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 13 May 2014 10:19 am

Lol at some of the posts here.. Ok! We decided to not use condoms even thought they were lying around... Feels better without anything right? :lol:
Anyway we got the pills, she asked her mom who's a doctor and she said not to take the pills as they can cause some heavy bleeding, plus side effects so I'm sitting here on my thumb hoping she won't get pregnant..
my gut feeling says it should be alright if she doesn't have periods in the next 2-3 days I'm gonna be a real worried man.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 13 May 2014 10:31 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Lol at some of the posts here.. Ok! We decided to not use condoms even thought they were lying around... Feels better without anything right? :lol:
Anyway we got the pills, she asked her mom who's a doctor and she said not to take the pills as they can cause some heavy bleeding, plus side effects so I'm sitting here on my thumb hoping she won't get pregnant..
my gut feeling says it should be alright if she doesn't have periods in the next 2-3 days I'm gonna be a real worried man.
It's a shame she's putting you through this: Is she not responsible enough to plan her own contraception (by what ever means)?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 13 May 2014 10:38 am

JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Lol at some of the posts here.. Ok! We decided to not use condoms even thought they were lying around... Feels better without anything right? :lol:
It's a shame she's putting you through this: Is she not responsible enough to plan her own contraception (by what ever means)?
its not her fault, she has other medical issues that can get complicated by taking this pill. So I can understand her fear of taking these pills, but not to worry I wanted to get her these pills just to reassure her, I think i am safe. In other news all our parents are extremely overjoyed at the prospect of a new baby lmao

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 13 May 2014 12:14 pm

That's kind of the point of the dr visit, right?

Really, how is contraception only a woman's responsibilty? Joint sex, joint decision.

As much as I am cringing writing this, I cannot take any form of hormonal bc but I can use a mirena iud and have done since I was 22 with breaks for children. They last 5 years and your periods stop. Tell her to ask her mum.