Singapore Expats

Sun Umbrellas for very fair skin

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
f_anderson

Sun Umbrellas for very fair skin

Post by f_anderson » Sat, 10 May 2014 6:00 pm

I just moved to Singapore and am trying to get used to the heat/ sun. I have INCREDIBLY fair skin and I burn very easily. I have face makeup with SPF 30, and I apply sunscreen every day, but I still worry what this constant sun exposure is doing to my skin (like premature aging!).

I've seen Singaporean women walking around with parasols/ sun umbrellas on really sunny days, to protect their skin from the sun.

Would I get odd looks if I picked up the habit and got myself a sun umbrella? Do other Western women carry unbrellas on sunny days? I haven't seen any, and I wonder if it may be deemed socially unacceptable for me to purchase one.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 May 2014 6:57 pm

Whatever floats yer boat. The locals wont give a hoot. Neither will anybody else. Don't worry about it. :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Sun Umbrellas for very fair skin

Post by JR8 » Sat, 10 May 2014 7:47 pm

f_anderson wrote:Would I get odd looks if I picked up the habit and got myself a sun umbrella? Do other Western women carry unbrellas on sunny days? I haven't seen any, and I wonder if it may be deemed socially unacceptable for me to purchase one.
I've seen it a couple of times, but to be honest it's usually too hot/bright to be lingering in the sun for long.

Socially acceptable? Like they'll think you're nuts or something? :) On the contrary, you're simply doing what many of them do. You wish to do it, so when you get sun, you can do it in a measured and controlled way. They do it because they believe having a tan is 'low class' (like you've been digging rice in the fields all day like a peasant).

A pale complexion is a thing to be highly envied here (by many, just look at all the ads for skin whitening cream), so have no fear about protecting it.

p.s. IME the signs of ageing come from dealing with the locals, rather than getting a bit of sun [/jk] :wink:

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sun, 11 May 2014 1:02 pm

I think people are accustomed to seeing others walking around with umbrellas to block the sun. As to whether it's socially acceptable to carry an umbrella, everyone has their own opinion but I doubt most people care one way or the other.

I'm a "western woman" and personally, I don't use one because it's just something extra to carry and I don't want the hassle. If you apply sunscreen about 20-30 minutes before going outside, the sunscreen will have time to absorb and be more effective.

As JR8 mentioned, whitening creams are sold here. People are nuts over that stuff. I never recall seeing any product like that in the USA (although it might be available) and found that kind of humorous.

Strange story: Shortly after I got to Singapore, I was shopping at the condo convenience store and when I got to the register I realized I forgot to pick up a bar of soap. I then saw some brands of soap stacked up behind the counter and asked the cashier how much they cost and she said "$4.75" and picked up one and said "this type is really good." More than I wanted to pay but I didn't want to hold up the line/queue and said, "ok, I'll take it." When I got back to the condo and unloaded the bags. I realized the soap said it was for "skin whitening." I was confused as to why the cashier was trying to sell a white lady soap to whiten her skin. Anyways, I used the soap because I'd already purchased it. It was a nice soap but I don't think it made me whiter.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 11 May 2014 1:48 pm

http://th106136660.trustpass.alibaba.co ... r_gel.html

When we first got here and needed supplies ASAP we got one of the above. 'Skin whitening shower soap'. I renamed it the 'shakuhatchi' soap, which in JPnese is the established term for fellatio :)

The promise of your skin being whitened by a suspiciously pearlescent shower soap is either alarming or amusing. Either way the girl pictured on the wrapper is certainly smiling demurely.

... The refill bags we got featured a head-on picture of a cow on the side. But I swore it's eyes followed me around the shower cubicle. So we only ever got one of those, before reverting to bars of soap again.

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Mon, 12 May 2014 10:49 pm

I'm really wary about "skin whitening" products and have never used one. Quite a few contain ingredients that can cause skin damage over a period of time.

Give me sunscreen and an umbrella any day!
Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are. (Tupac)

AC expat

Post by AC expat » Mon, 07 Jul 2014 12:48 pm

I just use a lot of sunscreen every day, I find it a hassle to carry an umbrella.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 07 Jul 2014 1:15 pm

AC expat wrote:I just use a lot of sunscreen every day, I find it a hassle to carry an umbrella.
Now we look on with high expectations as to what the 6th newbie post of these 10 minutes will bring...

summer4ever

Post by summer4ever » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 3:30 am

f_anderson wrote:I just moved to Singapore and am trying to get used to the heat/ sun. I have INCREDIBLY fair skin and I burn very easily. I have face makeup with SPF 30, and I apply sunscreen every day, but I still worry what this constant sun exposure is doing to my skin (like premature aging!).

I've seen Singaporean women walking around with parasols/ sun umbrellas on really sunny days, to protect their skin from the sun.

Would I get odd looks if I picked up the habit and got myself a sun umbrella? Do other Western women carry unbrellas on sunny days? I haven't seen any, and I wonder if it may be deemed socially unacceptable for me to purchase one.
Hi, it seems that we are in a similar situation. I have just moved to Singapore and am trying my best to adjust to the humidity and sunlight. I have fair skin and in order to protect it from the blazing sun, I adopted the local way of using an umbrella. This method has several health benefits and I highly recommend it to you. Regardless of others/ society's view of western women carrying umbrellas, they are of no concern for me nor do they have any impact on my personal preference. Ultimately, its my health and thats all I care about. How about trying my method for a couple of days ? It will enhances your confidence and soon you will be carrying an umbrella with style ! Cheers ! :D

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 5:25 am

There's this conical looking farmers hat, sort of gives a hands free option.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

yukiko84

Post by yukiko84 » Wed, 12 Apr 2017 1:07 pm

I am moving to Singapore from Northern country and very worried about the UV :oops: so I want to bring lots of suncream.

Does any one recommend the minimum strength sun protection for Singapore? I know the strongest is around SPF50 but my skin is sensitive...

Thank you

Mila Smith

Post by Mila Smith » Wed, 19 Apr 2017 6:55 pm

Of course buy one if you feel you need, there is nothing judgmental to protect your skin and use an umbrella against sun, you know, I didn’t care about my skin much few years back when I just moved to Southeast Asia, now I do! For example when I worked in Vietnam and had to drive a scooter for like 20 minutes around lunch time, I closed all: my arms, shoulders, legs, neck, face (with a mask), some expats were shocked to see this, were saing that I look like a Vietnamese lady from market, but who cares, I didn’t, I don’t need more freckles and birthmarks on my skin, an umbrella is such a small thing compared to the way I dressed in Vietnam :D You are just new, in fact expats/locals don’t care much, don’t worry without a reason. Skin protection is very important in SG.
Life is short, paddle harder!