Singapore Expats

GEMS World Academy Singapore

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
ginger_bread

GEMS World Academy Singapore

Post by ginger_bread » Sat, 10 May 2014 12:36 pm

Has anyone considered this new school GEMS World Academy for their children? They run a lot of schools globally. Does anyone know how their reputation is generally? Many thanks.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Wed, 14 May 2014 9:59 pm

They will open in September 2014 and are new to Singapore. No one on this site will have experience with the local school. The building will be new and if you like GEMS this may be worth a shot. They will be trying very hard to impress in order to fill the new campus.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 14 May 2014 10:12 pm

The only thing I have heard is it has under 100 children at present. Substantially under. The location would put me off but it depends where you work.

ginger_bread

Post by ginger_bread » Thu, 15 May 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I know it is a new school in Singapore, so nobody will have any experience with the teachers, facilities, etc. However, GEMS runs many other schools in the world, especially quite a good number in the middle east like Dubai. I am wondering how GEMS' reputation is like in these other schools. I do not know much about this company.

It is very expensive - nearly 40K per year. Even with discount it is still one of the most expensive schools in Singapore.

Yes, I feel they are trying very hard to impress, riding on the fame of Tony Blair, Bill Clinton, etc. to promote the school. I don't buy these, but it could still be a good school. I want to find out more about GEMS.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Thu, 15 May 2014 3:26 pm

Yes, they should prove themselves just as any other school. Average fees are just over $30k - pretty much the same as other large International Schools in Singapore. They do offer sibling discounts which is uncommon here.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 15 May 2014 4:09 pm

That school has been doing some serious marketing stints. Recently I took part in Meta Sprints Series and GEMS offered full scholarships to top three participants from junior categories (girls and boys).

migratingbird

Post by migratingbird » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:53 am

I know GEMS schools in other parts of the world. I'd imagine the school will be very well resourced. From experience, I find GEMS know the Middle Eastern market well, but can fall down when they try to apply things that work their in other countries. They don't properly research the country properly and assume because something is successful in Dubai, it will also be successful somewhere else, and that's why I would be wary.

LanaFlana

Re: GEMS World Academy Singapore

Post by LanaFlana » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 6:14 pm

Hello everyone,

We plan to move to Singapore this summer and enrol our 9 years old son to GEMS World Academy.
Could you please share your recent experience about this school and maybe can give me some suggestions about the place to live as we are not very familiar with this area.

How do you find academical support in this school?
Do you find teachers professional?
Do you enjoy after school activities offered by the school?
Can it be a reliable school in a long run?

Which are the areas Gems families mostly live in as Id like to be a part of the community?

Thank you. Any tips will be very much appreciated.

megawaty.s

Post by megawaty.s » Thu, 08 Dec 2016 4:26 pm

My experience with GWAS thus far was great! :D

When I first joined, I was worried that my son wouldn’t do well in the school since he had always been a quiet boy.

However, the teachers and kids there are really friendly and supportive.

When he first started his school term, they had this Experiential Learning Programme, where they bought him to outdoor park to "learn through experience”…

He had a lot of fun and was really happy cause he managed to made a few friends at the end of the day.

The academic support there is great and the teachers there are awesome. The way they handle the students is very professional.

Instead of being authoritative, they are firm and treated the students with respect, which I really like it.

You should hear how the students greet Mr White during Thursday morning assembly. So loud and with energy!

GWAS has their own Parent Association, known as GWAPA, which you can email them at [email protected].

They are quite active and together with Judy, the Parent Relations Executive, they organise monthly events for us.

I guess if you want to be part of the community, you can call Judy at 6808 7322 and ask her.

I personally trust that this school is here to stay since they are part of the GEMS Education (Been around for many years and financially strong, thus I doubt that GWAS will close down anytime soon).

My tip for you is to make good use of their ManageBac system, so you can log in to see what your children are doing at school daily, even the homeworks and exams. O:)

Sensei Michael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sensei Michael » Fri, 09 Dec 2016 9:17 am

megawaty.s wrote:M
I personally trust that this school is here to stay since they are part of the GEMS Education (Been around for many years and financially strong, thus I doubt that GWAS will close down anytime soon).
I know of GEMS. I nearly joined the group. They have good philosophies and fundamentals behind their 40+ schools.
In the field of education since 1999. Principal: Frankel Tutors Pte Ltd

arvindergujral

Post by arvindergujral » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 5:46 pm

LanaFlana wrote:Hello everyone,

We plan to move to Singapore this summer and enrol our 9 years old son to GEMS World Academy.
Could you please share your recent experience about this school and maybe can give me some suggestions about the place to live as we are not very familiar with this area.

How do you find academical support in this school?
Do you find teachers professional?
Do you enjoy after school activities offered by the school?
Can it be a reliable school in a long run?

Which are the areas Gems families mostly live in as Id like to be a part of the community?

Thank you. Any tips will be very much appreciated.
Hey Lana did you get any reply on areas where GEMS families mostly stay. I too am looking at this school for Aug 2017 session