Singapore Expats

Tricky situation.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 14 May 2014 2:56 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote:I think people hiring are suspicious of applicants willing to take a pay cut. 'Are they desperate to stay on here? Will they quit the moment they get something scarcer, but more to their experience and pay level?'... and so on.
then again, from my experience, when unemployed and you ask the same pay as last drawn, most recruitment consultants go ... 'being unemployed you should lower your expectations ... and be ready for a cut in lieu of being unemployed .... '

and then the consultants may be asked by the employer why the candidate is willing to work for lower pay ... which the consultant will not tell the candidate as a possible reason for rejection .....

though in SME environment, in two interviews, I was offered a basic of about 50% of my last drawn, and the bosses insisted the offers were best in view of my predicament .... no qualms there on screwing a desperate guy ....
I think this is the modern job market, both employers and employees are more fleetfooted and short-term thinking. As per the earlier linkedin article and comments about employers keeping their options open, and still pursuing other candidates despite being keen on someone. I agree it is a turn off, but then surely the same is true of many job-seekers, who will continue looking for something better even as they sign the contract and in the first months of a new job. It's not like it used to be where people have a job-for life and only change jobs on average 3-5 times in their entire career !

The killer to me seems to be the slow pace that employers move here. It really squeezes unemployed candidates, as compared to their employed competitor candidates who can play it much more calmly as they continue to draw a paycheck while searching. It's like the property market too. So many sellers just "testing the market", but very few "serious" or "motivated" sellers who actually need to transact and prepared to consider market reality.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 14 May 2014 2:59 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Whitefield traffic was terrible, but Electronic city hasn't been bad my past few visits. They actually opened that flyover finally.
ha! traffic pile up from e-city to bangalore city was quite the norm on any given day, I found that the best time to escape from that hell was to leave at 5pm sharp, if i did that it was a 50 min ride back home. if it was 6pm it was a 1.5 hours and if it was 7pm then i reached at 9pm.
and if it rained god help you, it sucked the lifeblood out of me, I am forever thankful to Singapore's mrt/bus system
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 14 May 2014 3:03 pm

JR8, fully agree with you that employers look suspiciously at people who want to go down in the their salary.
Last edited by Wd40 on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 14 May 2014 3:51 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Whitefield traffic was terrible, but Electronic city hasn't been bad my past few visits. They actually opened that flyover finally.
ha! traffic pile up from e-city to bangalore city was quite the norm on any given day, I found that the best time to escape from that hell was to leave at 5pm sharp, if i did that it was a 50 min ride back home. if it was 6pm it was a 1.5 hours and if it was 7pm then i reached at 9pm.
and if it rained god help you, it sucked the lifeblood out of me, I am forever thankful to Singapore's mrt/bus system
Most the companies I am interviewing are either in marathahalli or whitefield. My house is in Hebbal(north Bangalore). Its gonna take 1.5 hours one way for sure, but I don't mind it as much as some others do, as I love driving. Turn on the AC, lift the windows up and drive. I keep telling my wife, if I was an illiterate, I would have chosen the profession of a driver :D

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Wed, 14 May 2014 5:58 pm

JR8 wrote:I think people hiring are suspicious of applicants willing to take a pay cut. 'Are they desperate to stay on here? Will they quit the moment they get something scarcer, but more to their experience and pay level?'... and so on.
There's no hard and fast rules, in my opinion. These things are subjective and influenced by who you're talking to, the organisation, the skill set you offer etc. I work in a niche area and managed to negotiate a pay hike with my new organisation (had been unemployed for 3 weeks at the time- I quit without having another job at hand). But I will say it had a lot to do with the Hiring Manager's mind set- he was focussed on what I could deliver as opposed to my employment situation.

But I do believe that one should not be too eager in offering to accept a lower pay.
Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are. (Tupac)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 15 May 2014 9:19 am

Wd40 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Most the companies I am interviewing are either in marathahalli or whitefield. My house is in Hebbal(north Bangalore). Its gonna take 1.5 hours one way for sure, but I don't mind it as much as some others do, as I love driving. Turn on the AC, lift the windows up and drive. I keep telling my wife, if I was an illiterate, I would have chosen the profession of a driver :D
Hebbal! you might want to consider Companies in Manyata Tech Park instead. well at least you are close to the airport.
I'm in West Bangalore near Bangalore University, really green place with lots of trees and parks I am going back for a visit soon.
on the driver bit, are you sure you don't mind buying a tata indica and driving around blasting bollywood music ?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 15 May 2014 5:33 pm

Hey Guys,

Gr8 news! I got this offer from the Singapore company that I had interviewed yesterday :D Salary matches my current and its a one year contract. I just cant tell you how happy I am.
Last edited by Wd40 on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 May 2014 5:36 pm

One hurdle at a time. And keep the faith. If your current employer can see their way to short your notice and you short your vacation maybe you can pull it off starting in one or two weeks (EP willing). Little prayer for you..... [-o<
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 15 May 2014 6:08 pm

thats good news WD40! keep your hopes up :wink:

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 15 May 2014 6:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:One hurdle at a time. And keep the faith. If your current employer can see their way to short your notice and you short your vacation maybe you can pull it off starting in one or two weeks (EP willing). Little prayer for you..... [-o<
Thanks guys for your support. This forum has been a great blessing for me :)
Last edited by Wd40 on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 15 May 2014 7:30 pm

Wd40 wrote:.

good it worked out fine anyway

use this opportunity to hunt for a cheaper apartment ... as that topped my list of to-do-things, when i got my marching orders ,...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 16 May 2014 2:10 am

Wd40 wrote:Hey Guys,

Gr8 news! I got this offer from the Singapore company that I had interviewed yesterday :D Salary matches my current and its a one year contract. I just cant tell you how happy I am. This is exactly what I was gambling for, i.e. waiting until my current company terminates me and then getting another offer. I almost lost all hope and in the nick of time I got this.
Congrats!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 16 May 2014 8:47 am

Nice one. Happy for you!

So for your new apartment, will you be staying in that same area again or will you be going for different location this time?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 16 May 2014 8:49 am

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:.

good it worked out fine anyway

use this opportunity to hunt for a cheaper apartment ... as that topped my list of to-do-things, when i got my marching orders ,...
Thanks. I thought about this long and hard. My current place is 3 Bed HDB and price is 2.4k. No agent fee.

I understand the current market is really bad and the owners haven't found a replacement yet. My guess is the rents have gone down.

Also its a great opportunity, in that my joining date is exactly 1 month later, so if I tell the owner I want to stay in the current place, I will have to pay the rent for the 1 month for which I wont be in town. Anyways I have told them that I am leaving and they will keep the deposit, since now there is a gap in tenancy and they need to subtract the owner's portion of the residual agent fee.

So I am planning to keep most of my stuff packed in my friends house and then come back one month later with my family, stay in a hotel(hotel room rents are actually same as the house rent :o ) and then look for a new house. We are ok with a 2 bedroom house this time, if we can get it for 2k. But my worry is, the market might suddenly pickup and we wont get a house for that price especially in the same area and immediately.

One more big positive of this approach is we will take all our important things with us to India. In case, God forbid, something goes wrong with the new offer, then I don't need to come again to Singapore to close things. We are kind of closing things now and it will be a new start with my new job and a new 1 yr house contract that ties with my new job contract.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 16 May 2014 9:16 am

Good stuff WD, well done! Maaaahn, are you going to enjoy that holiday :cool: :)