Singapore Expats

Join NLP Training?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 21 May 2014 10:36 pm

Brah wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:And this is why I would question NLP. The essence is you do this once (or for however many weeks) and the job is done. You now have the "bag of tricks" at your disposal. Cognitive behavioral therapy has a lot more research behind it, and I'd put more stock in it than NLP.
Not sure how much you've read into NLP, I understand it to be a kind of Cognitive behavioral therapy, and it's is something to practice rather than a once time thing.

That said, there are different things under the umbrella of NLP - BoC, you seem to be a proponent and well-versed on this, can you add to this?
Yes I think there's a fair overlap between CBT and NLP. Nowadays mindfulness and meditation are in vogue. NLP is very practical, pragmatic and based on what works rather than what can be theoretically proven. In that sense it's very flexible. Some aspects are mainstream such as visualization and self-talk. A lot of the sports psychology used by pro athletes will originate from or be consistent with NLP. The persuasion / sleight of mouth are also widely used by advertisers. sales, speech writers etc. I can barely listen to an Obama speech without being distracted by these hidden commands ... "I know that you, like me, will be excited to ....". Body language is another key area that is well known. Personally I am more interested in the insights into how the mind works, limiting beliefs, and treatment of mental illness.

But sadly NLP has not done a great job of defining itself and has left itself wide open to criticism.

Strong Eagle, as a rational person with a healthy skepticism I think you will be an interesting test case. Would you be willing to buy a copy of the book I mentioned earlier "NLP : the new technology of achievement" and take the time to read it? Afterwards if you still think it's baloney and you got nothing useful out if it, then I cannot give you the time back but I'd happily reimburse you the cost of the book.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 21 May 2014 11:49 pm

Beeroclock wrote:Strong Eagle, as a rational person with a healthy skepticism I think you will be an interesting test case. Would you be willing to buy a copy of the book I mentioned earlier "NLP : the new technology of achievement" and take the time to read it? Afterwards if you still think it's baloney and you got nothing useful out if it, then I cannot give you the time back but I'd happily reimburse you the cost of the book.
Well that's the first book I read years ago and I have yet to make it work for me. Too many exercises that felt like they should be taught by the right person and drilled.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 22 May 2014 12:00 am

Beeroclock wrote:
Brah wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:And this is why I would question NLP. The essence is you do this once (or for however many weeks) and the job is done. You now have the "bag of tricks" at your disposal. Cognitive behavioral therapy has a lot more research behind it, and I'd put more stock in it than NLP.
Not sure how much you've read into NLP, I understand it to be a kind of Cognitive behavioral therapy, and it's is something to practice rather than a once time thing.

That said, there are different things under the umbrella of NLP - BoC, you seem to be a proponent and well-versed on this, can you add to this?
Yes I think there's a fair overlap between CBT and NLP. Nowadays mindfulness and meditation are in vogue. NLP is very practical, pragmatic and based on what works rather than what can be theoretically proven. In that sense it's very flexible. Some aspects are mainstream such as visualization and self-talk. A lot of the sports psychology used by pro athletes will originate from or be consistent with NLP. The persuasion / sleight of mouth are also widely used by advertisers. sales, speech writers etc. I can barely listen to an Obama speech without being distracted by these hidden commands ... "I know that you, like me, will be excited to ....". Body language is another key area that is well known. Personally I am more interested in the insights into how the mind works, limiting beliefs, and treatment of mental illness.

But sadly NLP has not done a great job of defining itself and has left itself wide open to criticism.

Strong Eagle, as a rational person with a healthy skepticism I think you will be an interesting test case. Would you be willing to buy a copy of the book I mentioned earlier "NLP : the new technology of achievement" and take the time to read it? Afterwards if you still think it's baloney and you got nothing useful out if it, then I cannot give you the time back but I'd happily reimburse you the cost of the book.
This one? I'll try anything once.

http://www.amazon.com/NLP-The-New-Techn ... chievement

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 22 May 2014 12:02 am

Brah wrote:
Beeroclock wrote:Strong Eagle, as a rational person with a healthy skepticism I think you will be an interesting test case. Would you be willing to buy a copy of the book I mentioned earlier "NLP : the new technology of achievement" and take the time to read it? Afterwards if you still think it's baloney and you got nothing useful out if it, then I cannot give you the time back but I'd happily reimburse you the cost of the book.
Well that's the first book I read years ago and I have yet to make it work for me. Too many exercises that felt like they should be taught by the right person and drilled.
Is this a NLP trick to get me to pay you the cost of the book ? Afraid that offer was exclusive to Strong Eagle :P

Your earlier post re: phobia and addiction cures. One interesting thing in NLP is the belief the person is not broken or in need of fixing, they are just making the best choice based on the options perceived available to them. So the cures are about creating more options and "better" choices. NLP also believes the behavior, no matter how bizarre or self-defeating, is positively intended. So for the cure to be lasting, you need to figure out what need/desire is being fulfilled (or what threat/risk is being avoided) by this behavior, and help the person resolve this. It is a much different approach to traditional psychiatry or psychology where you kind of assume something is wrong, or some wires got crossed upstairs, and it needs to be "fixed" with medication and/or hour upon hour lying on the coach (while paying an hourly rate).

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 22 May 2014 12:08 am

Strong Eagle wrote: This one? I'll try anything once.

http://www.amazon.com/NLP-The-New-Techn ... chievement
Yes that's it. Great! will be interested to hear what you think after reading it.