Singapore Expats

Lost EP IC Card - Travel out of and into Singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Lost EP IC Card - Travel out of and into Singapore

Post by brian_singapore » Thu, 08 May 2014 12:15 pm

Hi,

So this morning I was preparing for a trip out of Singapore and realized my Employment pass card wasn't in my wallet. Will this cause problems travelling into and out of Singapore?

I'm getting differing opinions from my colleagues, some of whom are now PRs and so experiences with this kind of things are out of date by 4-5 years.

Could anyone advise if this is a problem and what I can take / do in place of the IC card? I do have a photo copy....

Right now I don't foresee being able to replace it by Tomorrow noon...

Brian

gailwynand
Regular
Regular

Re: Lost EP IC Card - Travel out of and into Singapore

Post by gailwynand » Thu, 08 May 2014 12:47 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Hi,

So this morning I was preparing for a trip out of Singapore and realized my Employment pass card wasn't in my wallet. Will this cause problems travelling into and out of Singapore?

I'm getting differing opinions from my colleagues, some of whom are now PRs and so experiences with this kind of things are out of date by 4-5 years.

Could anyone advise if this is a problem and what I can take / do in place of the IC card? I do have a photo copy....

Brian
Are you traveling by land or by air?
If by land, they will expect to see it.
If by air, you can use the automated gates, but if they don't register your fingerprint properly then you will have to talk to a person who will expect to see it.

Have no idea what happens if you say "sorry I lost it but I'm getting it replaced" but I doubt the consequences are that severe.

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by singapore eagle » Thu, 08 May 2014 1:36 pm

I inadvertently left my green embarkation/disembarkation card at home when I went to Batam last year. All that happened was that the ICA officer referred me to his supervisor. I had to go to a separate desk, confirm my identity and answer a few questions. And then I was let through.

So leave 5-10 minutes earlier, but don't expect any problems.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Lost EP IC Card - Travel out of and into Singapore

Post by the lynx » Thu, 08 May 2014 1:43 pm

gailwynand wrote:

Brian
Are you traveling by land or by air?
If by land, they will expect to see it.
If by air, you can use the automated gates, but if they don't register your fingerprint properly then you will have to talk to a person who will expect to see it.

Have no idea what happens if you say "sorry I lost it but I'm getting it replaced" but I doubt the consequences are that severe.
They also have automated system by Woodlands and Tuas checkpoint. Not sure about Tanah Merah and Harbourfront ferry terminal though.

Automated system will be good for your case but remember that your destination country's immigration might want to see proof of your residential status in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 May 2014 1:58 pm

Yeah, like returning to the US and trying to come back without a return ticket. Oops. It can post problems and some additional costs.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Thu, 08 May 2014 4:26 pm

I'm flying, so sounds like not a big deal other than planning for a bit of a delay returning.

Brian

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Thu, 08 May 2014 11:32 pm

You might get out of Singapore but how will you come back in?

In most cases the country of departure wants to see a proof of visa for the country you are travelling to.

It might be possible to avoid issues if you hold a passport of a country entitled to visa on arrival in Singapore as you can tell the airline it it's what you plan to do.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 09 May 2014 5:52 am

Hi,

I have a passport that allows visa on arrival so don't foresee any issues departing for Singapore. From the notes above it sounds like Sing immigration won't present a serious issue.

Brian

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Fri, 09 May 2014 1:44 pm

I have a passport that allows visa on arrival so don't foresee any issues departing for Singapore. From the notes above it sounds like Sing immigration won't present a serious issue.

Brian
Some airlines might demand a return flight since you are travelling on a visit visa.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 09 May 2014 5:32 pm

I did this once on a trip to the Philippines a couple of months ago.

No problem getting out of Singapore on my passport and thumb print. When returning Singapore Airlines at Manila did not have a problem allowing me to fly with no proof of residence in Singapore but I did have my wife and daughter with me and they had their ID cards. It also happened that I was travelling 2 weeks later to the UK so effectively had an onward flight ticket, but they didn't ask to see it.

As has been said above getting out is OK getting back my be tricky if you are unlucky.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 09 May 2014 5:33 pm

Turn out to be a non-issue. I found my EP card about 2 hours before departure, much to my relief.

I didn't want to have to take time off work to get it replaced.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 09 May 2014 6:06 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Turn out to be a non-issue. I found my EP card about 2 hours before departure, much to my relief.

I didn't want to have to take time off work to get it replaced.
\:D/

Excellent, happy for you

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 May 2014 6:50 pm

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. Leave on a full stomach. Have a good trip with a bit less stress. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers