Singapore Expats

new coca cola ad featuring Sg migrant workers + cool drone

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

new coca cola ad featuring Sg migrant workers + cool drone

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 08 May 2014 9:21 am

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 May 2014 10:02 am

^^This! \:D/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 08 May 2014 10:30 am

Wow!... that is unexpected. Nice one :)

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 08 May 2014 10:47 am

Awesome!

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Thu, 08 May 2014 10:58 am

Just brilliant!! In your face to the xenophobic part of Singaporeans. Lovely idea....

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 08 May 2014 10:59 am

Nice one!

Although I must say the prominent coke advertising detracted slightly from the experience for me. Similar to when you notice advertising in a movie, e.g.the close-up/focus shot on a Rolex watch or Sony laptop, etc. Maybe I'm just too cynical, but such distractions take me out of the enjoyment of the film itself and questioning the genuineness. Coming next, pepsi drones delivering cans to lucky plaza on sunday?!?

Anyway with the cynical comment aside, it is definitely pleasing and welcome to see a gesture of gratitude for the FW contributions in SG. Thanks for sharing!

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Addadude » Thu, 08 May 2014 11:22 am

Sorry to be cynical but it's advertising awards season at the moment with entry deadlines for Cannes, One Show and D&AD imminent.

Videos like this are required for entries under ambient media and/or guerrilla marketing categories.

I'm pretty sure this was a one off event and Coca Cola may not even be fully aware that this exercise happened.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Agency-A ... 7673024901
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 08 May 2014 11:42 am

Addadude wrote:Sorry to be cynical but it's advertising awards season at the moment with entry deadlines for Cannes, One Show and D&AD imminent.

Videos like this are required for entries under ambient media and/or guerrilla marketing categories.

I'm pretty sure this was a one off event and Coca Cola may not even be fully aware that this exercise happened.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Agency-A ... 7673024901
I wasn't as cynical as Addadude at first, but the linked article is pretty spot on. For those that don't want to open Facebook:
This is a disingenuous and cheap attempt to create a feel good moment of happiness. It is fake, like most Singaporean's concern for foreign workers. No offense, Singapore. Like so many 'viral' campaigns today it is a contrived behind the scenes film that is effectively the making of a 'moment'. How often does the original 'moment' reach only a tiny proportion of people in such stunts? Almost 100% of the time. We have to rely on YouTube for anyone to ever see it. How long did the actual exercise of 'refreshing' the workers last? It lasted precisely as long as Ogilvy's crew took to shoot enough footage of some Bangladeshi workmen. Then someone cried, 'CUT'. The interviews were vomit inducing. Exactly, how many ordinary people were involved and in turn made aware of the plight of the workers? I didn't see any of the true issues faced by foreign workers there. This piece of theater is a 'look at us, we're so creative' wank from Ogilvy Singapore - and Agency Asia take particular exception to this because it is such a serious issue that Ogilvy/Coke have trivialized for their own ends. Singapore, you want to thank the foreign workers? Pay them more than a few dollars a day!! There is no reach or frequency in this idea, unless it gets a shitload of hits on YouTube. Let me give you an example of a valuable public service campaign. Most people are well aware of maid abuse being such a huge issue in that country. Sponsor a massive Coke outreach program and make it easier for people to report abuse via an app - or God knows what clever idea that will actually make a small difference. Give 5 cents from each sale to a new hospice for badly abused maids - and some legal assistance. As if this will happen, of course. You know how many maids 'accidentally' fall to their death in Singapore each year? What would Ogilvy's solution be to assist these waifs? Can you see the difference between a genuine public service campaign versus the patter they claim is an idea? What benefit whatsoever has that stunt brought these indentured workers? And don't insult our collective intelligence claiming that it has done anything to improve their station in life among the locals. Phua! These are people that begrudge giving their maid a day off once a month, house them in a closet and feed them on scraps. Fact. A real public service campaign of any value would focus on how it is that workers are allowed to live in shipping containers with no proper ventilation, without aircon. By all means defend or denigrate this campaign. You know how we feel.
Reminds me of this:
http://dissolve.com/showreels/this-is-a ... rand-video

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Addadude » Thu, 08 May 2014 12:01 pm

Another article on the subject (it WAS done for an award entry):

http://mumbrella.asia/2014/05/cokes-dro ... -rodeo-pr/

Plus, from the same site, a reveal about the lengths agencies will go to to win awards:

http://mumbrella.asia/2013/08/confessio ... am-artist/
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 08 May 2014 12:59 pm

The hypocrisy wants to make me puke.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 08 May 2014 1:46 pm

:-|

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 08 May 2014 1:49 pm

you guys are ruining it..tsk tsk! this should be a drone thread.. oh wait theres a drone of some different sorts going on here..
But yes this wont fix a single thing about the mistreatment and the conditions of labor for these guys.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 08 May 2014 1:53 pm

So maybe I should upgrade the cautious cynicism of my earlier post to outright cynicism :lol:

I guess I am still glad coke and the ad companies made this, even if their motives are questionable, the outcome was good and at least for a moment generated some appreciation/gratitude, soon to be followed by cynicism and angst!

Would have been much better if coke had obscured their product logo and privately funded the film, then it will be more of a genuine altruistic act, not just another part of their marketing program and a footnote to add in the annual CSR report.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 May 2014 2:08 pm

They are not ruining it, sour grapes of others are trying to ruin it. The campaign apparently WAS a reality and while it may have been a vehicle for an Ad Agency, the momentum behind it seems valid.

http://kindness.sg/blog/2014/05/07/sing ... the-skies/

Back in the day, I kind of liked this but after 40 years of it, it got old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2KECJv9XrQ
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Thu, 08 May 2014 2:09 pm

At least it means someone somewhere is considering these workers. Perhaps a few will start thinking differently from viewing it. A good message can never be repeated to often - especially if it is done to promote something else. How many celebs gives fortunes away because they want to - or because it looks good and is good PR?