Singapore Expats

new coca cola ad featuring Sg migrant workers + cool drone

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 12 May 2014 2:32 pm

Hi Beeroclock. I very much doubt that this 'ad' originated as a brief from the client.

It is far more likely to have been an 'agency initiative' whereby they approached their client with this idea - and probably even offered to pay for the entire exercise.

While, on the surface there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this and the concept itself dovetails perfectly with Coke's happiness message, you do have to question the agency's motivation.

Does this one-off exercise genuinely help foreign workers? Doubtful to say the least.

Will it help towards the agency's awards tally? Probably. We'll see in the coming months as it is entered into the Cannes advertising festival.

And yes, the larger international agencies do have significant budgets set aside to invest in these 'initiatives' and enter them into awards.

Now imagine if the agency in question cut it's awards budget by half and invested that money in real, sustained (and sustainable) campaign that seriously attempted to address and resolve this issue.

Far from being a cynic, I believe that great creative ideas can have a profound impact and make a huge difference to causes like this. If they are serious and committed to the cause and not to gaining awards. The awards WILL come if the work is genuinely good but the focus should be on the issue itself.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 12 May 2014 3:35 pm

^this

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 13 May 2014 11:07 am

Back-patting article in the bird cage liner on this today

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Tue, 13 May 2014 8:19 pm

Addadude wrote:Hi Beeroclock. I very much doubt that this 'ad' originated as a brief from the client.

It is far more likely to have been an 'agency initiative' whereby they approached their client with this idea - and probably even offered to pay for the entire exercise.

While, on the surface there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this and the concept itself dovetails perfectly with Coke's happiness message, you do have to question the agency's motivation.

Does this one-off exercise genuinely help foreign workers? Doubtful to say the least.

Will it help towards the agency's awards tally? Probably. We'll see in the coming months as it is entered into the Cannes advertising festival.

And yes, the larger international agencies do have significant budgets set aside to invest in these 'initiatives' and enter them into awards.

Now imagine if the agency in question cut it's awards budget by half and invested that money in real, sustained (and sustainable) campaign that seriously attempted to address and resolve this issue.

Far from being a cynic, I believe that great creative ideas can have a profound impact and make a huge difference to causes like this. If they are serious and committed to the cause and not to gaining awards. The awards WILL come if the work is genuinely good but the focus should be on the issue itself.
I totally agree. Google the Trial by Timeline campaign that a NZ agency did for Amnesty International. Fantastic work, and genuine. Puts this nonsense to shame.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 24 May 2014 1:54 pm

Here is another one coke did, this time for migrant workers in Dubai
same bullshit
a coke cap for a three minute phone call..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=63 ... =2&theater
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

mecjohn

Re: new coca cola ad featuring Sg migrant workers + cool drone

Post by mecjohn » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:41 am

Wow!
Great One
mypepsico

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:56 am

7 years on. Thanks to what looks like a spammer bumping up this post, I looked in at the original YouTube video to see how many people have viewed it. After all, it's impact would be judged on that basis. Less views = less impact and would validate the skepticism by some in this post. Turns out that the video is "private" whatever that means. I cannot view it and most likely most folks will never be able to view it either. So not a whole lot of reach. Safe to conclude that it was for some d*** to win some award.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 2:06 am

Doubt thats the case, more likely that the video was private after some time. In the original post, the replies after that were all in response to the video, so I’m sure it was up at some point.