Singapore Expats

audiophile equipment

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 8:22 am

RE the BS around cables, I agree the really expensive stuff is snake oil material, but the really cheap stuff is nasty, not so much in the way they sound but the quality of its manufacture.

I bought really cheap HDMI cables for a 15m runs within the walls and had to re do the whole lot when the cables failed, the "realistic" priced stuff from monoprice for example worked a treat and could handle being pulled and tugged through walls and conduits.

So it worth paying a bit extra if you want the cables to last.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 11:51 am

^^I have exactly the same experience. A 15m cheap HDMI cable after some time started to misbehave. It appeared as a pinkish mask in anything on the TV screen. Clearly the level of the signal controlling the hue (or related) dropped for some reason below what was accepted by my TV.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 3:52 pm

Talking about DSP compensation for room modes, does anyone think its silly not to compensate for our own hearing deficiencies? Our ears or rather perception of sound is probably not linear, and the high-end 15khz > falls off with age.

If you're a fan of the flat is good crowd, then the equalizer should also compensate for our own hearing non-linearities.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 4:25 pm

Sporkin wrote:Talking about DSP compensation for room modes, does anyone think its silly not to compensate for our own hearing deficiencies? Our ears or rather perception of sound is probably not linear, and the high-end 15khz > falls off with age.

If you're a fan of the flat is good crowd, then the equalizer should also compensate for our own hearing non-linearities.
Why do you assume there is one correct frequency characteristics and why is it the one of a young person? If any, probably intended one is of the composer/performer/director.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 4:38 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
BillyB wrote:
I've also found that people don't always listen to music in FLAC or lossless format - which, itself, can make a huge difference to the type of and the quality of the sound.
Years ago I returned my first set of $300+ headphones (hardly considered 'audiophile') because I realized all of my mp3s were only ripped at 192k. I could very clearly hear the difference between those and the 320kb ones, or lossless copies.

Later after replacing everything with better rips, I now buy better headphones again.
you listen to music on mp3's ? tsk tsk..
lol@192kbps compression.
I have most of my music on cd's and I like to listen to them that way, I also have mp3's but my primary preference has always been to pop in a cd and listen to it.
I have a Denon RCD N7 and while the output is not so great, it supports LAN,wifi, airplay, music server, napster, last.fm and cd
quite an intelligent device but low on output

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 4:53 pm

I think the correct representation would be to reproduce as close as possible what the recording engineer mastered. Therefore a flat-frequency response would be needed for that--room mode aside.
x9200 wrote:
Sporkin wrote:Talking about DSP compensation for room modes, does anyone think its silly not to compensate for our own hearing deficiencies? Our ears or rather perception of sound is probably not linear, and the high-end 15khz > falls off with age.

Why do you assume there is one correct frequency characteristics and why is it the one of a young person? If any, probably intended one is of the composer/performer/director.

Lawrence01

Re: audiophile equipment

Post by Lawrence01 » Wed, 17 Oct 2018 7:07 pm

Hi Guys,do you know where I can buy used hifi in lot/bundles ?

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”