Singapore Expats

Question on what happens after work permit is cancelled

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ktjl1988

Question on what happens after work permit is cancelled

Post by ktjl1988 » Tue, 06 May 2014 1:00 am

Hi guys,

Here to ask a question on behalf of my friend who is currently working in Singapore with a Work Permit.
She is thinking of quitting her current job and hope to be able to stay in Singapore to find another job. So she is wondering if she will be able to do that.

So, the questions are:

1. What happens once the WP is cancelled, does she have to leave Singapore immediately? Does her status be automatically converted to a short term visit pass and allowed to stay in Singapore for another 14/30 days?

2. If the answer to the second part of qns 1 is "no", can she apply for a short term visit pass to stay in the Singapore right after her WP is cancelled?

3. Is she able to travel out of Singapore, let's say Bali for a short hol (5-7 days etc), apply a tourist visa back to Singapore after that?

Thank you very much for your time in reading this!
Greatly appreciate the help!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 06 May 2014 1:46 am

As I understand it #1 is correct, She gets a maximum 30 day SVP which is considered time enough to pack up and leave.

Can't help on the others.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Question on what happens after work permit is cancelled

Post by the lynx » Tue, 06 May 2014 8:32 am

ktjl1988 wrote:Hi guys,

Here to ask a question on behalf of my friend who is currently working in Singapore with a Work Permit.
She is thinking of quitting her current job and hope to be able to stay in Singapore to find another job. So she is wondering if she will be able to do that.

So, the questions are:

1. What happens once the WP is cancelled, does she have to leave Singapore immediately? Does her status be automatically converted to a short term visit pass and allowed to stay in Singapore for another 14/30 days?

2. If the answer to the second part of qns 1 is "no", can she apply for a short term visit pass to stay in the Singapore right after her WP is cancelled?

3. Is she able to travel out of Singapore, let's say Bali for a short hol (5-7 days etc), apply a tourist visa back to Singapore after that?

Thank you very much for your time in reading this!
Greatly appreciate the help!
To add to what JR8 said, she will get the bog standard 30-day SVP which is not extendible.

Regarding the Bali trip, what nationality she is? There is a chance that she might or might not be able to return to Singapore after she exhausts that 30-day SVP AND go out for a short trip before returning to Singapore again.

ktjl1988

Post by ktjl1988 » Tue, 06 May 2014 11:08 am

understood! thanks so much for the information guys!

have a good day ahead!

ktjl1988

Post by ktjl1988 » Tue, 06 May 2014 11:10 am

@lynx: she's from china, so i guess it can be difficult to get her back to singapore after the expiry. haha

ktjl1988

Post by ktjl1988 » Tue, 06 May 2014 11:15 am

oh im sorry but i have another question.

is there a rule saying that if your work permit is expired and you have to leave singapore, you cannot come back again to singapore for at least a few months?

hendra_ahg

Post by hendra_ahg » Thu, 15 May 2014 12:05 pm

ktjl1988 wrote:oh im sorry but i have another question.

is there a rule saying that if your work permit is expired and you have to leave singapore, you cannot come back again to singapore for at least a few months?
not few months, few days also enough.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 May 2014 12:38 pm

depends on how often you come back to Singapore and how long you are away for. Also depends on which country is home. Lot's of different dynamics in play here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 15 May 2014 5:38 pm

ktjl1988 wrote:oh im sorry but i have another question.

that rule of not being able to work for a year applies only to WP for entertainment staff

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 May 2014 7:31 pm

Don't know how it is today, but we've always been told, as employers, that we have to buy them a ticket to their home of origin and we have to make sure that they go through immigration (WPs from anywhere except Malaysia). This means they have to go home first. But again, if the employer doesn't care that they are breaking the law (MOM's law) then I guess the employee can take the chance if they want. We don't give them the chance. We've had runners before. Once burned, twice shy.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

darrellpearce

Post by darrellpearce » Sun, 22 Apr 2018 2:48 pm

Once a work permit has expired & is cancelled. She will be issued a special pass allowing her to stay in Singapore for 14 days. After that she has to leave Singapore for China. Go to www.singapore ministry of manpower & go to the work permit section.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 22 Apr 2018 4:20 pm

darrellpearce wrote:Once a work permit has expired & is cancelled. She will be issued a special pass allowing her to stay in Singapore for 14 days. After that she has to leave Singapore for China. Go to http://www.singapore ministry of manpower & go to the work permit section.
You are replying to a message that is 4 years old !

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Apr 2018 5:15 pm

With an NZ IP addy no less! :P