Singapore Expats

E-Cigs banned?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 06 May 2014 11:35 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:someone needs to start rolling out some fat blunts and handing it out to people here, they can sure use some chilling around over here big time!
I hope you're joking. Singapore had enough mental illness without the wholescale mental illnesses brought on by long term drug use.
Cough* Colorado Cough*
crime rates actually gone down in that US state since they legalized Marijuana.
I was obviously joking about its usage here, but I would more be an advocate for its legalization worldwide.
Don't give him much heed. He's a living, breathing, and forum-posting caricature of the super-hypocritical born-again Christian. "Taliban for Jesus", if it were a real thing.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 06 May 2014 11:39 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
PNGMK wrote: I hope you're joking. Singapore had enough mental illness without the wholescale mental illnesses brought on by long term drug use.
Cough* Colorado Cough*
I was obviously joking about its usage here, but I would more be an advocate for its legalization worldwide.
Don't give him much heed. He's a living, breathing, and forum-posting caricature of the super-hypocritical born-again Christian. "Taliban for Jesus", if it were a real thing.
He doesn't bother me, although I do have to say the effect of marijuana is far lesser compared to other drugs. I find it quite amusing it needs to be that tightly controlled in several countries in this region.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 07 May 2014 12:02 am

Well Jesus did have a thing about turning water into wine, and then serving it to all followers in church.

Sound like a bunch of alcies to me, wine on a Sunday morning, that's pretty hard core.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 07 May 2014 12:37 am

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: Cough* Colorado Cough*
He doesn't bother me, although I do have to say the effect of marijuana is far lesser compared to other drugs. I find it quite amusing it needs to be that tightly controlled in several countries in this region.
Doesn't bother me either, I like pngmk. But I do love pointing out the hypocrisy in his "Love Jesus" but "Hate Fags and Potheads" comments.

lenneyjackson

Re: E-Cigs banned?

Post by lenneyjackson » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 6:59 pm

But I think it is absolutely false that in Singapore E-Cigs are banned many of them are using them.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 8:18 pm

Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) in Singapore

"The Ministry of Health takes a serious view of the importation of these products into the country, including online purchases and hand-carrying into Singapore. The import, distribution and sale of ENDS, including e-cigarettes are currently prohibited under the Tobacco (Control of Advertisements and Sale) Act," the MOH said.

"ENDS, including e-cigarettes, that claim to be smoking cessation products to help smokers quit tobacco use should demonstrate their safety and effectiveness with the same level of scientific rigour required for approved Nicotine-Replacement Therapies under the Medicines Act.

"As yet, there have been no applications to register ENDS as smoking cessation therapies. As the WHO report indicates, there is as yet no conclusive evidence that supports the registration of ENDS for this purpose."

Last updated on 27 Aug 2014

https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/ ... eport.html
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 8:44 pm

Nicotine gum/lozenges cost at least double here what they cost in 'the west'. You'd almost think they'd prefer smokers to keep smoking cigarettes and paying the associated taxes, than using almost harmless alternatives whilst trying to quit.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 9:04 pm

JR8 wrote:Nicotine gum/lozenges cost at least double here what they cost in 'the west'. You'd almost think they'd prefer smokers to keep smoking cigarettes and paying the associated taxes, than using almost harmless alternatives whilst trying to quit.
And i saw today UK has allowed advertising e cigarettes on TV

The health risks of e cigarettes are still debatable ...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 9:07 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote:Nicotine gum/lozenges cost at least double here what they cost in 'the west'. You'd almost think they'd prefer smokers to keep smoking cigarettes and paying the associated taxes, than using almost harmless alternatives whilst trying to quit.

Yes of course, and Nicotine Replacement Therapy which you can get a doctor to prescribe you on the NHS for peanuts (maybe £10 a month). Anything is thought to be preferable to smoking.

The net virtues of e-cigs might still be debatable, I don't know; but the hazards of real smoking are not.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 11:07 pm

ecureilx wrote:

Anything and everything is debatable, but that doesn't mean that one side is a completely wrong. See "climate change".

In all of the studies and political debate I have read the only sides lobbying against ecigarettes are those who would suffer financially. Tobacco and healthcare industries (the latter in the US)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 8:27 am

zzm9980 wrote: In all of the studies and political debate I have read the only sides lobbying against ecigarettes are those who would suffer financially. Tobacco and healthcare industries (the latter in the US)
in Singapore context, considering the E-Cigs I have seen in the nearby countries all come from China, with God-Only-knows what chemicals used in their production, I would rather trust a tobacco smoke than a possibly deadly cocktail called E-Cigarettes

After all, we know what goes into a Marlboro, and I don't think we can say the same for the numerous brands of E-Cigs

That's my 2 cents.

And the healthcare sector is not convinced E-Cigs are safe !!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 8:34 am

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: In all of the studies and political debate I have read the only sides lobbying against ecigarettes are those who would suffer financially. Tobacco and healthcare industries (the latter in the US)
in Singapore context, considering the E-Cigs I have seen in the nearby countries all come from China, with God-Only-knows what chemicals used in their production, I would rather trust a tobacco smoke than a possibly deadly cocktail called E-Cigarettes

After all, we know what goes into a Marlboro, and I don't think we can say the same for the numerous brands of E-Cigs

That's my 2 cents.

And the healthcare sector is not convinced E-Cigs are safe !!
So you're justifying your position by ignorance? Thanks! You just made my analogy to Global Warming *that* much more appropriate.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 9:21 am

zzm9980 wrote:So you're justifying your position by ignorance? Thanks! You just made my analogy to Global Warming *that* much more appropriate.
Ignorance ?

No, I am not gonna risk my own health by trusting some chemical in the E-Cigs !!

that's what I meant. And unlike Global Warming, this is my personal view, not fear mongering or anything !!!

And I am sure you know how much fake stuff comes out of the World's manufacturer, including fake Eggs, contaminated Milk !!!

I did see a few E-Cigs in PH, an all of them were made in China

If there was something made in US or certified in US or UK or someplace like that, I may have been tempted to say a few nice things about E-Cigs

PS, about Global Warning again, I believe nobody want to talk much about China, who has started implementing large scale Fracking and Shale Gas collection, which I believe is adding many times to the Global warming, but then who wants to pick a fight with China ?? None I guess !

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 10:03 am

ecureilx wrote: PS, about Global Warning again, I believe nobody want to talk much about China, who has started implementing large scale Fracking and Shale Gas collection, which I believe is adding many times to the Global warming, but then who wants to pick a fight with China ?? None I guess !
It's everybody else's way of cutting China down to size--have them decimate their own population.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 12:53 pm

ecureilx wrote:in Singapore context, considering the E-Cigs I have seen in the nearby countries all come from China,
So therefore by extrapolation you're suggesting that in SG the product is from China too, and ergo dangerous, and er... hence smoking is safer than 'vaping' e-cigs?

At least I think that's what you're saying. Perhaps use of this icon should be controlled and/or taxed :cool: - :lol:

p.s.
Might interest you...
'“There’s no question that a puff on an e-cigarette is less toxic than a puff on a regular cigarette,” says Stanton Glantz, director of the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education at the University of California, San Francisco. But few studies have looked at the toxicity of their vapors. As a result, scientists have been circumspect about describing e-cigarettes as safe.'
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/hea ... tes-emerge