Singapore Expats Forum

Internet restrictions?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon, 05 May 2014

Internet restrictions?

Postby AuntieMabel » Mon, 05 May 2014 5:00 am

I'm considering a move to Singapore, and this site's been really helpful at answering the (many) questions I have about practicalities. Thanks!

But I have one fairly specific question. My husband is a journalist working in the 'lifestyle sector'. This means that he often has to write about adult topics like sex and drugs, and needs to be able to access material many would consider dodgy online.

I'm aware Singapore is quite an authoritarian country in many respects so lots of things are banned. Does that extend to internet access?

Posts: 63
Joined: Fri, 18 Apr 2014

Postby Nihility » Mon, 05 May 2014 7:46 am

I'm not currently based in Singapore but am aware that the government do censor some websites, mainly pornography (and possible internet news sources from Malaysia) although the latter is speculative and may only apply to newspapers.

If your husband is concerned about accessing such material, I'd advise him to look into a Virtual Private Network or VPN. These are commonly used throughout the world and provide a level of privacy when browsing. I am currently based in China and with the heavy censorship that occurs here, my VPN has been a wonderfully affordable way to circumvent the internet restrictions.

With regards to VPNs and their legality in Singapore, those who live there will better be able to provide information.


User avatar
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 05 May 2014 8:07 am

There is a symbolic list of 100 sites that are blocked. Playboy and some of the various porn *tubes are on it. So is Ashley Madison. You can google a bit for discussions about the list. You can also get a VPN service. Not illegal here.

User avatar
Posts: 2810
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 05 May 2014 8:35 am

Note the use of the word symbolic here.. You can get around to watching porn using proxies etc.. However I don't think the content restriction is that strong so as to shut down a large portion of categories op just alluded to.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Mon, 05 May 2014 3:21 pm

Yes, the way to get through it is using a proxy if he requires access to the sites that are blocked, they tend to be pornography more than anything else.

Is your husband moving to Singapore for his work? If so then it's probably fine, but, if he is continuing "freelance" journalism for foreign press and being paid elsewhere, he may have some issue with taxes and visas. Just a thought, look into it more if he falls into the latter case.


Posts: 31
Joined: Mon, 05 May 2014

Postby AuntieMabel » Mon, 05 May 2014 4:49 pm

Thanks all - I'll look into proxies as it is largely pornographic material he needs to access.

We're moving with my work (much less interesting: banking). Husband works freelance for magazines and newspapers in the UK, which he would continue to do through his own UK company. I started another thread under moving about the visa issue, but any info you have would be helpful.

We're looking now at me moving full time and him travelling between the two, so he can keep his freelance work in the UK. It's theoretically possible for him to work out of Singapore, but need to work through issues like Internet access, visas, tax, etc. So this thread is really to work out how feasible it is for him to do his existing freelance work there.

As much of the material he works on is probably not approved of in Singapore it might prove easier all round for him to work in the UK and be a house husband when he comes over.

User avatar
the lynx
Posts: 5251
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Mon, 05 May 2014 4:52 pm

Like what some poster advised here, you can apply for Dependent Pass for him, linked to your Employment Pass, so that he can come whenever he wants. As long as his work is in UK and he is paid in UK, it shouldn't be illegal.

  • Similar Topics
    Last post
  • New Car Financing Restrictions Imposed by MAS
    by colio » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 9:26 pm » in Cars & Motorcycles
    by zzm9980 View the latest post
    Tue, 26 Mar 2013 8:26 am
  • Any restrictions on Game Console/Computers?
    by camberiu » Mon, 08 May 2017 3:51 am » in Relocating, Moving to Singapore
    by Reyon View the latest post
    Wed, 17 May 2017 9:59 am
  • Internet Connection
    by chronoel » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:08 am » in Staying, Living in Singapore
    by sundaymorningstaple View the latest post
    Sat, 16 Mar 2013 6:54 am
  • Advice for Internet
    by tws » Wed, 19 Jun 2013 4:58 pm » in Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics
    by stiwi View the latest post
    Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:07 am
  • Singtel Vs Starhub (TV & Internet)
    by Gokap » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 5:29 pm » in Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics
    by zzm9980 View the latest post
    Sat, 29 Jun 2013 5:03 pm

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests