Singapore Expats Forum

Rental Discrimination

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Rental Discrimination

Postby Travailes » Fri, 02 May 2014 2:17 pm

Breaking news from the Beeb here but not news here I guess !

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26832115

Will be interesting to hear the 'official' response as we all know how they can't take any criticism ?
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 02 May 2014 2:42 pm

Wonderful 'why-oh-why/let's all self-flagellate in hideously white middle-class guilt' news-fodder for and from the BBC.

Where of course you have to be a darkie or a poof (or preferably both, or better 4-5 minority lables) to have any hope of getting on with one's career.

Oh, you mean you didn't know that they practise 'positive discrimination'?

p.s. This might be somewhat lost on some readers, especially if they have only ever seen the BBC abroad/BBC24 etc. Back home, it's completely different, 'Do up your bargain house' daytime TV followed by weepy 'confessional-TV' followed by a puke of PC lies come the news.

The bitch is that to use a TV in the UK you have to by law pay for this circus.

.... anywayz... I'm off to buy an ice-cream maker. I'm thinking lemongrass, ginger, choco-chip and vodka. We'll see ;)

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 02 May 2014 2:42 pm

The response was already in the original article.....

In a statement, the CEA and the Ministry of National Development said: "We do not condone racial discrimination. There are advertising guidelines in place.

The statement added: "The Government will continue educational efforts on the importance of mutual respect to preserve ethnic harmony."
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Travailes » Fri, 02 May 2014 3:02 pm

JR8 wrote:
Where of course you have to be a darkie or a poof (or preferably both, or better 4-5 minority lables) to have any hope of getting on with one's career.

Don't think you need to preach this sort of prejudice :(

Oh, you mean you didn't know that they practise 'positive discrimination'?
It's called irony !

The bitch is that to use a TV in the UK you have to by law pay for this circus.
Incorrect - only 'Live' or 'Nearly Live' TV. Many people don't as they use I-player just to watch the stuff they want not all the other rubbish you correctly alluded to.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 02 May 2014 3:53 pm

It's not prejudice. It's a pastiche of the cosy metropolitan foolishness, that presents itself as modern respectability and the currently fashionable 'progressiveness'.

I've have 3 friends who have worked at the BBC. Believe me, I have heard first-hand of the diktats, and the Orwellian world that they seem to have to suffer.

Travailes wrote:Incorrect - only 'Live' or 'Nearly Live' TV. Many people don't as they use I-player just to watch the stuff they want not all the other rubbish you correctly alluded to.

Incorrect. Any household equipped to receive TV broadcasts, requires a licence. Don't get one (and I've done it before) and expect your life to be made hell with bailiffs calling every other day, and so on.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Travailes » Fri, 02 May 2014 4:55 pm

JR8 wrote:
Incorrect. Any household equipped to receive TV broadcasts, requires a licence. Don't get one (and I've done it before) and expect your life to be made hell with bailiffs calling every other day, and so on.

Sorry not sure where you are getting your information but this is wrong. You only need a TV license if you watch live or nearly live on a television 'set' (or programs recorded when they were broadcast). Include in this definition computers, mobiles etc. If you own a TV and use it solely for gaming, watching DVDs etc you can declare that you do not require a license. That will probably interest the revenue guys to pay a visit but it is true. That's why nearly 0.5M households in the UK have 'declared' they do not need a license.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 02 May 2014 5:15 pm

You want to get a TV, and then you pretend you don't watch it live? Up to you.

Like I said, invite the swarm, if you wish :)

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Fri, 02 May 2014 7:19 pm

If your tv can run on an independent power source (as in batteries) then apparently it does not require a tv license. Or at least this used to be the case before the tablet age...

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Beeroclock » Fri, 02 May 2014 7:48 pm

Yeah while it's not need here it's sad to read it

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 03 May 2014 12:30 am

You won't be laughing when the TV License guys are banging on your door.

Ha, for the sake of £100.... hahaha....

p.s. They know you haven't a license. And they've been standing on the street watching the TV images reflecting around your front room. What's the line for 'Thug + co' .... oh no really, I'm being completely honest, when I say I haven't a TV set'

hehehehe ....

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Max Headroom » Sat, 03 May 2014 1:19 pm

I'm no techie but I doubt they spy for a tv by the way a tv emits flashing light. Rather, I think tv's give off a kind of radiation that they can detect with their detecto-meter thingy-bob I think it's called.

PNGMK
Director
Director

Postby PNGMK » Sat, 03 May 2014 6:10 pm

Max Headroom wrote:I'm no techie but I doubt they spy for a tv by the way a tv emits flashing light. Rather, I think tv's give off a kind of radiation that they can detect with their detecto-meter thingy-bob I think it's called.

They used to have a detector that looked for the IF (intermediate frequency) transmissions that all TV's gave off (parasitic noise as part of the superheterodyne circuitry). However I suspect that is much harder with a TV tuner etc all in a single IC now.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 03 May 2014 7:19 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Max Headroom wrote:I'm no techie but I doubt they spy for a tv by the way a tv emits flashing light. Rather, I think tv's give off a kind of radiation that they can detect with their detecto-meter thingy-bob I think it's called.

They used to have a detector that looked for the IF (intermediate frequency) transmissions that all TV's gave off (parasitic noise as part of the superheterodyne circuitry). However I suspect that is much harder with a TV tuner etc all in a single IC now.

@ PNG/MH

The first vid below was one of the regular old TV ads, that helped create the touted myth. That was back before the likes of the internet and hence the man on the street now being better informed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NmdUcmLFkw
'TV Detector Van Licensing Propaganda'

This will give you an idea of what it's like when they're on to you ... you can expect this kind of thing to be going on all day every day *even when you do not have a TV*.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfHRhXW1hno
'HOW TO DEAL WITH TV LICENCE GOONS! '
- [Note the householder 'losing it' at c4.45+ lol :-O]

I think it works like this: maybe 95% of households have a TV, so if you haven't a TV license then you identify yourself as a target. The TV license people are nothing more than debt-collectors. I'm sure they're on commission (just as debt collectors are), and so they can willingly 'get creative' to prove their suspicions. You could say they are the ultimate 'clipboard nazis'.

This is the law:
- http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one
Naturally they aren't as specific about the Grounds for owning a TV, and not requiring a license.