Singapore Expats

Need Accommodation for a Month

Events and gatherings of MBA - Members Of Bhartiya Association
expatexpat

Need Accommodation for a Month

Post by expatexpat » Fri, 02 May 2014 2:07 pm

Hi,

I am planning to come to Singapore for Job Search. I need a room to stay. Any one willing to let a room, pls respond. I know rental under 6 months in not allowed.

Thanks.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 02 May 2014 2:19 pm

So how long are you intending on renting for?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 May 2014 3:05 pm

Really doesn't matter. What he is suggesting is illegal.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 02 May 2014 4:13 pm

Slowly slowly catchee monkee!!

expatexpat

Post by expatexpat » Fri, 02 May 2014 6:12 pm

JR8 wrote:Slowly slowly catchee monkee!!
What do you mean by this, you trying to belittle my query or just acting over smart, just because you've been posting enough. Any which way its not amusing, I am looking for directions here in this forum, and not wasting my precious time.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 May 2014 8:01 pm

expatexpat,

For the record, we do NOT recommend anything illegal on this board. We are constantly monitored by several government ministries (for a good reasons, not bad - in fact this site is listed on the MOM site several times as a good external links for information on a wide range of subjects. Therefore, you can understand our reluctance and also why there has been negligible response to your query. Hope you can understand. We worked hard to get a reputation that flies by the book but will give you the straight skinny however brutal it might be. We are honest here and don't tend to blow smoke. I'm probably the hardest of the lot, but a couple of us here have been here since it's inception (give or take a couple of months).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

expatexpat

Post by expatexpat » Fri, 02 May 2014 8:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:expatexpat,

For the record, we do NOT recommend anything illegal on this board. We are constantly monitored by several government ministries (for a good reasons, not bad - in fact this site is listed on the MOM site several times as a good external links for information on a wide range of subjects. Therefore, you can understand our reluctance and also why there has been negligible response to your query. Hope you can understand. We worked hard to get a reputation that flies by the book but will give you the straight skinny however brutal it might be. We are honest here and don't tend to blow smoke. I'm probably the hardest of the lot, but a couple of us here have been here since it's inception (give or take a couple of months).
I get that and completely understand and appreciate. But a newbie always initiates a discussion with an option, looking for further inputs on alternatives. If I had known all the options, I may not have come here at all.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 May 2014 9:02 pm

Hostel. You best bet, or you can rent a room on long term rates probably in the neighbourhood of 1000~1200/mo in places like Hotel 81, or Fragrance Hotels, etc. These aren't quite 3 star hotels but are serviceable in a pinch and are a darn site cheaper than Serviced Apartments which will set you back between 3~5K/mo.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 02 May 2014 9:37 pm

You could always try couchsurfing.org, depends on your budget on other options.

Serviced apartments/hotels/hostels are the only legal options, for someone to sub let a room without you having a visa is illegal for both you and for them.

How long are you setting yourself? 1 month is not long enough to get from initiation to job in Singapore generally, depends on the job level/industry and where you come from.
nutnut

expatexpat

Post by expatexpat » Sat, 03 May 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks for inputs. I am in talks with several MNCs, response is encouraging, will come only post scheduling handful of interviews. I won't spend more than a month. I am okay with cheap hotels, overall budget is 3k.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 03 May 2014 8:29 pm

expatexpat wrote:Thanks for inputs. I am in talks with several MNCs, response is encouraging, will come only post scheduling handful of interviews. I won't spend more than a month. I am okay with cheap hotels, overall budget is 3k.
You could stay somewhere in the region, and visit for windows of 'scheduled interviews'. Budget flights are superb these days.

Go to Phuket, Langkawi, Tioman, Penang, or Bali etc. Make use of the time, learn to SCUBA dive or something.*

It surely has to beat sitting in some $flea-pit hotel in SG waiting for the next ring of the phone.

*another bonus would be that your thus laid-back demeanour would project confidence :)

expatexpat

Post by expatexpat » Sun, 04 May 2014 1:25 am

Thanks all for your responses, was really helpful.