Singapore Expats

Why are Washing Machines more expensive than TV's here?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Why are Washing Machines more expensive than TV's here?

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 8:02 pm

In my investigation I have found that a decent washing machine can cost 3 times as much as a decent TV.
This inequality in pricing seems bizarre, does it mean that people watch TV more than wanting clean clothes?

All this started when the washing machine I had broke down and I had to buy a new one and the pricing for for these products were astonishing.
Normally washing machines are cheaper than TV's in most countries.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 8:51 pm

Washing machines cost between 500-2000 here. A decent TV will cost upwards of 4-5k. Doesn't seem like an anomaly at all, but then we all define quality in different ways

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:14 pm

Side-loaded washing machines (with glass door) are more expensive than TVs, because they clean the laundry AND provide a more interesting programme to watch than Singapore TV stations!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:35 pm

^^This! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:16 pm

@Beppi Rofl!

the cheapest side loader that I saw was about 380 upwards , a decent 32 inch LED costs about 400+ thats ok, but say you want a nice side loader it will cost somwhere like 1300-2500 its bizarre because those same side loaders cost much lesser in other countries, this is what is confusing.

some weird maths this is
from the courts ad on newspaper:
bosch 8 kg side loader = 1800
50inch fully HD LED toshiba TV = 1300
cheapest LED TV = 265 $

1 bosch 8kg side loader worth 1800 = 6 Cheap LED TV's?
food for thought :???:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 01 May 2014 12:12 am

By weight and size, a washing machine is much much larger and more expensive to ship. I've always assumed a large reason for the high costs of so many things in Singapore is shipping costs: small market, low demand, bad economies of scale.

That said, TVs cost less than washing machines in the US also.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 01 May 2014 12:21 am

Anyway, since there is such a price range in TVs and washing machines, it's hard to really give you a good comparison. Who is to say X size TV is comparable to Y model of washer?

Anyway, I went to Bestbuy.com (rough US equivalent of Courts or something, good variety, average prices) and compared washers to LED TVs. If I look at Washers, sort by Best-Selling, and the look for the cheapest side-loading, I see a Whirlpool for $629 US. If I do the same for LED TVs, there is a 32" LED TVs for $179 US.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 01 May 2014 12:49 am

zzm you explanation is plausible, maybe the trend nowadays is to watch stuff on classy TV's and have a shitty washing machine 8-) :o

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 01 May 2014 11:47 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:zzm you explanation is plausible, maybe the trend nowadays is to watch stuff on classy TV's and have a shitty washing machine 8-) :o
why buy washing machine? got maid kena handwash leh

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 01 May 2014 2:56 pm

In the 2nd hand market its opposite. Washing machines are dirt cheap you can get top loading Samsung 7 kgs for $50 where as TVs hold their value pretty well.

I guess the fact that transportation of the washing machine is a pain, causes its value to plummet. I would never buy a new washing machine in Singapore, rather buy a cheap hardly used one.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 01 May 2014 3:17 pm

your comments are right about 2nd hand washing machines, its a buyers market out there, and then after buying a brand new one I noticed a place which sold old ones by the dozens and I went to check the place out of curiousity and found that I could buy a fairly decent one around 180+ but then again some were in pretty disgusting condition, but if you do look hard enough you can get a really nice one.
I might consider a 2nd hand dryer though.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 01 May 2014 3:18 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:zzm you explanation is plausible, maybe the trend nowadays is to watch stuff on classy TV's and have a shitty washing machine 8-) :o
why buy washing machine? got maid kena handwash leh
maid run off with bangla boy leh

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 01 May 2014 11:25 pm

Wd40 wrote:In the 2nd hand market its opposite. Washing machines are dirt cheap you can get top loading Samsung 7 kgs for $50 where as TVs hold their value pretty well.

I guess the fact that transportation of the washing machine is a pain, causes its value to plummet. I would never buy a new washing machine in Singapore, rather buy a cheap hardly used one.
Electronics (circuits and such) generally do not break over time. Mechanical moving pieces do. A TV is composed primarily of the former, a washing machine the latter. Most people recognize this, thus the depreciation.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 01 May 2014 11:29 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:your comments are right about 2nd hand washing machines, its a buyers market out there, and then after buying a brand new one I noticed a place which sold old ones by the dozens and I went to check the place out of curiousity and found that I could buy a fairly decent one around 180+ but then again some were in pretty disgusting condition, but if you do look hard enough you can get a really nice one.
How do you know what's decent and what isn't? By how shiny the outside is, or how clean the lint filter is? Or are you actually opening it up and looking at the motor, belts, springs, etc and inspecting them for fatigue?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 01 May 2014 11:39 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:your comments are right about 2nd hand washing machines, its a buyers market out there, and then after buying a brand new one I noticed a place which sold old ones by the dozens and I went to check the place out of curiousity and found that I could buy a fairly decent one around 180+ but then again some were in pretty disgusting condition, but if you do look hard enough you can get a really nice one.
How do you know what's decent and what isn't? By how shiny the outside is, or how clean the lint filter is? Or are you actually opening it up and looking at the motor, belts, springs, etc and inspecting them for fatigue?
Most people aren't going to let you take their washing machine apart to check it out. What matters is age and rust. Nothing older than 3 years, 2 is better. Signs of rust anywhere means there will be rust everywhere.

I successfully bought used washing machines for two places... both were still running when I left.