Singapore Expats

GESS (German European School) questions pls

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Ellmeg

GESS (German European School) questions pls

Post by Ellmeg » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 7:53 pm

Hi all!

We are likely to relocate to Singapore next yr (Summer 2015). We live in Switzerland and are considering the German section of German school (GESS) for our then 4 and 7 YO.

I have found some older posts on this so would like to ask newly, what is the general feedback about the school?

We will both be working so also using their bus service.

Also, I have 2 specific questions:
1) Do you know if for German section for 2nd year of Kindergarten and 1st year Primary we should expect to have trouble at enrollement? (i.e. not enough place etc?)
2) Do German nationals have priority over others for enrollement?

My work is likely to be in Buona Vista and hubby not sure yet, so where would be a good place to live to ensure kids are not longer than 30 mins each way on the bus?

Thanks for help!

E

Ellmeg

Post by Ellmeg » Mon, 05 May 2014 1:48 am

No one to share their experience please?

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Thu, 08 May 2014 12:37 pm

Reportedly they are not full. Demand is stronger on the English side than the German side. Possible exception for grade 8/9 when the Swiss School program ends and most of their students head for GESS.

Ellmeg

Post by Ellmeg » Thu, 08 May 2014 2:49 pm

scarbowl wrote:Reportedly they are not full. Demand is stronger on the English side than the German side. Possible exception for grade 8/9 when the Swiss School program ends and most of their students head for GESS.
Thanks! Helpful :)

I also heard they are relocating in 2017 but to area close by, anyone knows anything about this rumour?

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sat, 10 May 2014 10:57 am

Yes, they are combining two locations into one somewhere off Dairy Farm. I heard they were leasing out their current location near the Swiss Club to another school but do not know which one.

gmburgers

Re: GESS (German European School) questions pls

Post by gmburgers » Thu, 28 May 2015 5:00 am

I will be coming to Singapore, with the kids going to GESS from August onwards. I am looking for suitable accommodation in close proximity to GESS. 2 adults and 2 kids. with an expected substantial amount of visitors in the future...
Can anybody recommend a condo close by (walking distance to school)

Thanks

whoisit

Re: GESS (German European School) questions pls

Post by whoisit » Fri, 29 May 2015 2:57 pm

I pass by the route and there are quite a few condos around that area. Look at the Jalan Jurong Kechil stretch between Bukit Timah Community Center and Old Jurong Road for places within walking distance. Park Natura is smack bang opposite GESS and there are others such as Signature Park, Terrene etc., You can even look at the Upper Bukit Timah Stretch close to the old fire station Springdale, South Haven, Bukit View etc.,