Singapore Expats

Relocating from US to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
pharmer_pk

Post by pharmer_pk » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 1:03 pm

rdueej wrote: AFAIK, the student pass tax relief works when you are leaving at the end of your study. You are allowed to claim refund of GST for goods bought up to 4 months before your pass expiry (as long as you do not plan on returning within the subsequent 12 months).

During the initial transfer to Singapore, I think that all long-term pass holders are treated the same and the standard tax relief/rates would apply. You can see details here: [ http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/uploade ... forder.pdf ]

I am curious, do you really need so much stuff when moving here (or perhaps you are not moving alone) ? When I was shifting for school here, I just packed two bags and got on a plane.
Hmm, I thought the relief is when the shipment comes in. I gotta research on that more.

LOL. I guess I'm a pack rat, but I'm not shipping furniture or anything. I wish I can just get on a plane without too much baggage, but I can't this time around.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 4:15 pm

pharmer_pk wrote:LOL. I guess I'm a pack rat, but I'm not shipping furniture or anything. I wish I can just get on a plane without too much baggage, but I can't this time around.
Are you aware of the size of student hostel and sublet rooms in Singapore (Hint: This is Asia, not USA!), or do you have the financial means for renting a whole apartment (S$2500/month or more)?
In addition, basically everything you could ever want is available in Singapore.
I think you should reconsider the amount you bring!
Last edited by beppi on Wed, 30 Apr 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 4:19 pm

When I moved to Singapore as a fresh graduate, I packed my entire world into my two 30-kilogramme bags.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 4:27 pm

I had a 20kg suitcase, a box of books in the mail and max'ed out hand luggage. Eight years, several jobs and one marriage later I moved back with half a container load. Now it's more than a container ...

pharmer_pk

Post by pharmer_pk » Thu, 01 May 2014 4:33 am

beppi wrote: Are you aware of the size of student hostel and sublet rooms in Singapore (Hint: This is Asia, not USA!), or do you have the financial means for renting a whole apartment (S$2500/month or more)?
In addition, basically everything you could ever want is available in Singapore.
I think you should reconsider the amount you bring!
The last time I went to SG a few years back for a few months, I only packed a carry-on. :D I appreciate the advise, but I can't this time around for various reasons. Luckily I'm not staying at a hostel, but with a relative, and they have storage space.

Anyway, I just want to go back to my questions. Any feedback of moving companies that any of you have used/experienced with? Plus the tax thing. Any insights are appreciated. :)

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 01 May 2014 5:03 am

When moving to Singapore, personal effects are exempted from import taxes and GST. The moving company will have the necessary forms and can explain the procedure.
I have used KC Dat - best service, highest price.

pharmer_pk

Post by pharmer_pk » Mon, 05 May 2014 1:41 pm

Just another thought, do you guys recommend an actual mover, or just a door-to-door shipping company? I have kinda packed my stuff into my own boxes already, so I wonder if going with a mover is not cost efficient (ie. I'm not getting my money's worth).

So far, the common theme is Crown or Allied. I'll be paying from my own pocket, so I'm not sure how those top companies are price wise. Also, anybody used scan-shipping before (scan-shipping.com)?

Any thoughts on different companies would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

timothychua

Post by timothychua » Sat, 07 Jun 2014 3:22 pm

One of my client's shared the same experience with you and i think he went with the Big Shipping, but it all boils down to your budget though.. whatever works for the money! =D

Cheers!

No advertisements

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 07 Jun 2014 4:09 pm

What a useful, informative, and enlightening post

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Jun 2014 5:03 pm

timothychua,

Three strikes and you're out! You've been benched.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 07 Jun 2014 6:17 pm

I PM'ed him earlier.The deal is, one more post with his business signature and he is out. Please, feel free if I am not around.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Jun 2014 7:10 pm

Okay, I'll unlock him and just.......

tic...toc...tic...toc....

one more foul ball and that's all she wrote!

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 07 Jun 2014 11:03 pm

why don't you just ban him for banality?

pharmer_pk

Post by pharmer_pk » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 8:21 am

*sigh I was hoping for more insights.
I have contacted various companies, but looks like none of them can be bothered as they probably don't care about doing business with an individual.

DHL, TNT, etc: They don't offer door to door ocean freight shipping for individuals.

Crown: A rep called saying she would follow up, but that's about it. Silent.

Scan-shipping: responded at first, but then silent. When queried, turned 180 degrees saying they don't offer the service from a residence, only businesses.

Astro worldwidemovers: Replied thinking I'm going from SG to US, but I explained it's the other way around, silent.

DSV: No response

Unigroup: no response

I'm hoping for Allied to come through, but looks like they are staying silent too, probably thinking I'm not worth their time.

So basically nobody offers such service to an individual, apparently. This is troublesome as I have less and less time to set this up. You would think at this globalization era, there are more services like this, but seems like they all are only going after relocation contracts with big companies. Yes, I'm getting frustrated now.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:37 am

You've packed your own, (presumably few) boxes already. That suggests there is little or nothing in it for them to be bothered dealing with, since they'll expect you to be unpacking them at this end too.

Have you considered freighting them directly, perhaps not quite simply posting them, but a step down from full service international relocation companies?