Singapore Expats

The Gahmen's Job Bank is up!

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

The Gahmen's Job Bank is up!

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:51 pm

Was searching for jobs as usual using Indeed.com.sg and came across a job ad which happens to be the gahmen's job banks. Apparently its live since 25th April.Very interesting!

This seems to be the old jobs bank which will be retired, I didn't even know it existed
https://pes.wda.gov.sg/jbs/Logon/index.aspx

This seems to be the new jobs bank
https://www.jobsbank.gov.sg/

Good news for PRs! You guys are allowed to register :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 11:32 pm

'Welcome to Jobs Bank, the public platform to facilitate job matching between local individuals and employers.'

-------------

And thus, all is revealed.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 12:15 am

And the government's own job bank site demonstrates that locals aren't qualified, at least IT jobs :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 12:22 am

2 jobs in 'Banking + Finance'

- a clerk in some industrial company in Jurong
- a book-keeper at the YMCA

I'm not sure the launch is quite as successful as hoped for,

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 12:26 am

They've actually "fixed" the certificate since I posted that. I'm betting they have mixed and matched certs on different systems behind a load balancer? (The first one was self-signed)

but now the site is only rendering half-way...

Obvious pros at work running this!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 12:31 am

Mebbe cos it jus proob too pobular ah, dat eberybun rush to use leh?

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 3:38 am

http://careers-gov-search.jobstreet.com ... pening.php
Really?! I went to a specific gahmen department to apply for their post, but was directed to this site though.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 6:43 am

JR8 wrote:'Welcome to Jobs Bank, the public platform to facilitate job matching between local individuals and employers.'

-------------

And thus, all is revealed.
Why "thus, all is revealed."? That is exactly what is was supposed to be from the beginning. It's was the reason it was created, to employ locals and give them a leg up first. The fact that it's not going to work is another story.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 9:09 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Why "thus, all is revealed."? That is exactly what is was supposed to be from the beginning. It's was the reason it was created, to employ locals and give them a leg up first. The fact that it's not going to work is another story.
Ah, I thought it was perhaps intended to bring transparency to the market, for all. But I see you need to have a Singpass to logon so ... :roll:

Nanana makes a good point. Why aren't government jobs listed on the site. Are they open to foreigners?

p.s. Three of the six 'Medical/etc' postings are for masseuse.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 9:27 am

It's... er, unexpected how when I mouse over the home-page the job categories start reshuffling into random order. By the time I get the mouse pointer to where I was headed, the category I was after has shot over to the other side of the page.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of test of skill and perseverance.

p.s. It's quite good fun... if you mouse around in circles... it's like an ever changing 'kaleidoscope of opportunities'...

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 9:44 am

JR8 wrote:
Nanana makes a good point. Why aren't government jobs listed on the site. Are they open to foreigners?
As an employer, if you want to hire only locals/PRs then you don't have to advertise in the jobs bank. You could use any of the existing modes of recruitment.

Its only when you think you are unlikely to get a local/PR, you "must" place an ad in the job bank and if you can't get anyone you will be allowed to apply for an EP.

It will be interesting to see, whether this job bank will go the Seek.com.au way of just posting fake ads to "show" that they have tried finding a local, before being allowed to apply for an EP.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:03 am

Something's broken... advertises "more than 6632 jobs available" yet when you look at the detailed listings by category, it doesn't add up to more than a couple of hundred. What's with that?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 11:56 am

Maybe, some job postings hire whole teams or platoons? That way it may be 6632.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 12:32 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Maybe, some job postings hire whole teams or platoons? That way it may be 6632.
1116 ads vs 6632 'Jobs Available' ... hmmm = 6 vacancies per ad. Not likely to be high level 'niche skill' jobs then eh?

Actually having had a brief browse through it, can anyone find what looks like a P1/P2 type job ... I couldn't.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 12:43 pm

There was a page link to about 6 or 8 Foster Wheeler jobs. Any/all of them could have been P1 positions. (Foster Wheeler in a main contractor for the O&G/Petrochem/Pharm construction complex)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers