Singapore Expats

Converting foreign driving licence for SG PR

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
alioshalxx

Re: Converting foreign driving licence for SG PR

Post by alioshalxx » Thu, 24 May 2018 1:31 pm

After reading this post, and I found that I have a bit different situation. I converted my license to Singapore DL under my EP. Now I obtainted PR, do I need to convert my DL again? As the DL No. is the same as my EP No., and EP had been taken in the PR formalities process.....

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 24 May 2018 1:42 pm

New PRs who already have a 5-year Singapore driving licence will have to replace it with a lifetime driving licence that reflects their new NRIC number. Replacement of licence can be done at a fee of $25 at the Traffic Police at 10 Ubi Ave 3 Singapore 408865.

From this link https://www.police.gov.sg/resources/tra ... -a-licence

alioshalxx

Post by alioshalxx » Thu, 24 May 2018 1:44 pm

bgd wrote:New PRs who already have a 5-year Singapore driving licence will have to replace it with a lifetime driving licence that reflects their new NRIC number. Replacement of licence can be done at a fee of $25 at the Traffic Police at 10 Ubi Ave 3 Singapore 408865.

From this link https://www.police.gov.sg/resources/tra ... -a-licence
Thank you very much, it is very helpful and quick.

chalkyboard

Post by chalkyboard » Sat, 11 Aug 2018 3:24 pm

PNGMK wrote:
alexeyy wrote:
x9200 wrote:I know people who converted their DL after 5-7 years in Singapore with no questions asked. Besides, the police is neither able to verify whether somebody drives occasionally abroad nor if s/he drove at all after passing the original test XXy earlier. This, even for converting the DL within the 12m period.
I converted my US driver license a couple of years back, two years after arriving in Singapore. Didn't have any troubles with that. They did ask me to surrender my US license, which I made fuss about but eventually gave up ](*,)
You're kdding? Thats ridiculous. I was not asked to do that nor was my American wife.
Is the Singapore Police or whoever the agency is still requiring the surrender of US driver license in order to convert to a local license? I sent an enquiry to the SPF in hopes of getting a concrete answer. Losing US license would be a major pain in the ass....

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 11 Aug 2018 9:38 pm

You do not have to surrender any existing license in order to obtain you Singapore license. I retained my Texas license both on EP and as PR.

chalkyboard

Post by chalkyboard » Sun, 12 Aug 2018 1:51 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:You do not have to surrender any existing license in order to obtain you Singapore license. I retained my Texas license both on EP and as PR.
Ah ok, that's good to hear. Thank you for that!