Singapore Expats

Converting foreign driving licence for SG PR

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 8:30 pm

Now with your post, it's pretty evident that something has changed in their policy/approach to the motorcycle DL conversion.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 9:55 pm

Curious if there is any link between this and the quota cut down by half not so long time ago.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:16 pm

Emergency123 wrote:
x9200 wrote:Now with your post, it's pretty evident that something has changed in their policy/approach to the motorcycle DL conversion.
Yes,I was informed immediately that the motorcycle license was not available on the conversion even though the license was almost 10 years old ( and I have been driving for almost 16 + years ) The lady at the counter did not even want to look at previous bike ownership papers :( . I did not argue although I found it weird that they would give me a full car license but not the basic bike one.

Will somehow have to find the time to attend all the theory and practical lessons as I really wanted that license ( my wife has the car license :D )
My questions are:

Did your license explicitly state that you were motorcycle endorsed as well, (and not simply the moped license one is granted in the UK along with a driving license)? You must have a separate test (road/written) for a motorcycle license in order to convert.

Does your license contain the date of licensing for your motorcycle, and if not, did you provide an official copy of a document that does show the date you received your motorcycle license? You must have proof of the date of motorcycle endorsement.

Which driving center did you attempt your conversion? I found that BBDC seemed very laid back... quite a few years ago, though.

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Converting foreign driving licence for SG PR

Post by GSM8 » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 12:19 am

Would anyone on the forum know if a China license can be converted to Singapore license in the same way as most other country's licenses? (the doubt arose because a person with a Singapore license is not automatically allowed to drive while visiting China even if the have an international driver permit, since China is not a signatory to the relevant convention)

Secondly, suppose a Chinese person got their China license back in say 2006 while still living there, with a 20 year validity, then moved to Singapore in say 2010 on an EP, subsequently becoming a PR and citizen, without ever converting it to a Singapore license because they never thought they'd need to drive in Singapore. Now, several months after becoming a citizen, they realize that they do - can such a person still convert their China license to Singapore by passing BTT, other would they need to start from scratch because of how long its been since they moved to Singapore?

(I searched this forum but couldn't find the answer this specific question, so appreciate input from anyone who might know)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 7:10 am

GSM8 wrote:Would anyone on the forum know if a China license can be converted to Singapore license in the same way as most other country's licenses? (the doubt arose because a person with a Singapore license is not automatically allowed to drive while visiting China even if the have an international driver permit, since China is not a signatory to the relevant convention)

Secondly, suppose a Chinese person got their China license back in say 2006 while still living there, with a 20 year validity, then moved to Singapore in say 2010 on an EP, subsequently becoming a PR and citizen, without ever converting it to a Singapore license because they never thought they'd need to drive in Singapore. Now, several months after becoming a citizen, they realize that they do - can such a person still convert their China license to Singapore by passing BTT, other would they need to start from scratch because of how long its been since they moved to Singapore?

(I searched this forum but couldn't find the answer this specific question, so appreciate input from anyone who might know)
I suspect start from scratch. No specific rules to cite but my general understanding is a conversion is needed within 12 months of PR.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 12:18 pm

I don't know the rules around conversion of a Chinese license but you can convert a license years after arriving in Sg. You just can't drive if you exceed 1 year of residency without conversion.

I think if you scroll back through this thread I mention a specific example of a friend who did just that, converted many years after arriving here.

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks. I (rather my wife) will try that. She found out from another person that a Chinese license can indeed be converted to Singapore license with an official English translation (that person had done it within a few months of moving to Singapore). I couldn't find bgd's post earlier in this thread but we'll try to convert with the explanation that she hadn't been planning on driving in Singapore until now.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 28 Feb 2017 3:40 pm

Chinese DL can be converted passing the 12 months mark or at least this was the case some years ago.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 4:08 am

I know of people able to convert licenses as long as two years after they were supposed to. However, it looks more like seven years since this person drove, and I suspect the authorities will conclude that they have 'forgotten' how to drive.
GSM8 wrote:Would anyone on the forum know if a China license can be converted to Singapore license in the same way as most other country's licenses? (the doubt arose because a person with a Singapore license is not automatically allowed to drive while visiting China even if the have an international driver permit, since China is not a signatory to the relevant convention)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 6:54 am

I know people who converted their DL after 5-7 years in Singapore with no questions asked. Besides, the police is neither able to verify whether somebody drives occasionally abroad nor if s/he drove at all after passing the original test XXy earlier. This, even for converting the DL within the 12m period.

alexeyy

Post by alexeyy » Tue, 18 Apr 2017 10:24 am

x9200 wrote:I know people who converted their DL after 5-7 years in Singapore with no questions asked. Besides, the police is neither able to verify whether somebody drives occasionally abroad nor if s/he drove at all after passing the original test XXy earlier. This, even for converting the DL within the 12m period.
I converted my US driver license a couple of years back, two years after arriving in Singapore. Didn't have any troubles with that. They did ask me to surrender my US license, which I made fuss about but eventually gave up ](*,)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 18 Apr 2017 12:22 pm

alexeyy wrote:
x9200 wrote:I know people who converted their DL after 5-7 years in Singapore with no questions asked. Besides, the police is neither able to verify whether somebody drives occasionally abroad nor if s/he drove at all after passing the original test XXy earlier. This, even for converting the DL within the 12m period.
I converted my US driver license a couple of years back, two years after arriving in Singapore. Didn't have any troubles with that. They did ask me to surrender my US license, which I made fuss about but eventually gave up ](*,)
You're kdding? Thats ridiculous. I was not asked to do that nor was my American wife.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Thu, 07 Dec 2017 4:15 am

Hi All,

I finally decided to convert my US licence. I have a bit of a unique situation. I came to SG as an EP back in 2014... I have had 1 state's drivers license since I turned 18 (20+ years ago), but I moved my tax residence in the US to another state in 2015, at which time I also switched my driver license to the new state. I then flew straight to Singapore after the license conversion in the US, to resume working, at the same time, my EP was converted to a PEP.

Now it's 2017 and I got my PR about 9 months back. I am looking to take the BTT and convert my US license. Any chance I'll face issues? I only ask because I saw this online on the SG Police site:

"Application for conversion of foreign driving licence for Singaporeans and PR are not normally granted unless:

1. they have stayed in the foreign country continuously for at least six months after the date of first issue of their foreign driving licence
2. the foreign driving licence at the time of application for conversion must have been issued for a period of six months or more
3. for PRs, the driving licence was obtained before the applicant became a PR.
"
For Singaporeans and PR employed overseas for one year or more, please produce Income Tax Returns or supporting documents from employers and the relevant employment visa in the passport.
"

Will I need to bring some kind of substantiation as above? Or typically would I just get approved?

Also how long does it take to receive the license once you pass the BTT?

Cheers all,

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 07 Dec 2017 11:25 am

Take everything. If you have difficulty make an appointment with the TP, hopefully they will understand.

Assuming the process hasn't changed, once you pass the BTT you can convert straightaway. Queues can take hours though. Going early on a weekend might save you time.

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Wed, 20 Dec 2017 9:35 pm

bgd wrote:Take everything. If you have difficulty make an appointment with the TP, hopefully they will understand.

Assuming the process hasn't changed, once you pass the BTT you can convert straightaway. Queues can take hours though. Going early on a weekend might save you time.

This is really useful. Thanks a lot. Will bring all the relevant DMV reports from both states that I can download