Singapore Expats

Converting foreign driving licence for SG PR

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 4:34 pm

Emergency123 wrote:
x9200 wrote:It just means by default you get very often 2B even if your foreign license is unrestricted.
If I am given a 2B license , do I need to buy and drive a 2B vehicle and only then apply for a 2A ? or may I just keep the license and apply for a higher class after the required period of time ?

The link above might help. There is a practical riding test to upgrade to each new class. I doubt you have to actually own a bike but you will probably need some riding practise to pass the tests.

Edit: The link is broken. I Googled "Singapore motorcycle driving test" and chose the eCitizen site.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 4:52 pm

On a positive side, even if it comes to the worst, the 2A and 2 courses are relatively short and painless.
2B is longer and much more tedious.
Just enroll and you may have some fun. I kind of liked it. Good for local intergration too.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 5:16 pm

Emergency123 wrote: had wanted this.. http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes ... iple-r-abs
Very nice. Would cost a lot more here though. Triumph seemed overpriced when I was looking (at the Tiger 800XC)

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 7:56 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Example: Texas has no classes of motorcycle license. Picture of bike and MSF certificate got me my class 2.
Similar here, I didn't even need a picture of a bike. I showed them the 'M1' on my California license and just said "That means any bike". They gave me class 2, 2a, and 2b.
I am due for the BTT on the 23rd at Woodlands. I ride a 250cc motorcycle back home and have been riding for 10 years now. My licence does not mention any category, I am allowed to ride a motorcycle of any capacity that is sold legally in my country, as per the issuing authority. Would be great if you could provide inputs on the following -

1) Will I be issued a 2A category licence if I provide proof of ownership of my vehicle, like the Registration Certificate/Insurance?

2) I am not carrying the licence on me currently but I will have it by next month. Can I give the BTT on the 23rd July as per schedule, and then, post clearing the test, have my licence converted on a later date?

Thanks in advance!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:19 pm

kurtrules wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Example: Texas has no classes of motorcycle license. Picture of bike and MSF certificate got me my class 2.
Similar here, I didn't even need a picture of a bike. I showed them the 'M1' on my California license and just said "That means any bike". They gave me class 2, 2a, and 2b.
I am due for the BTT on the 23rd at Woodlands. I ride a 250cc motorcycle back home and have been riding for 10 years now. My licence does not mention any category, I am allowed to ride a motorcycle of any capacity that is sold legally in my country, as per the issuing authority. Would be great if you could provide inputs on the following -
If you are allowed to ride a bike of any capacity, you should obtain documentation to that effect to prove up that you are licensed for unlimited bikes. There is an exception to this: If you come from a country where the bike license was issued automatically with your car license (ie, no test), you won't be granted a bike license.
1) Will I be issued a 2A category licence if I provide proof of ownership of my vehicle, like the Registration Certificate/Insurance?
Probably - but why do that when you can get a class 2 unlimited. If you go the route you propose and wanted something bigger than 400 cc, you'd have to do bike school... and from what I know, you'd fail miserably, not having done the 2b and 2a training.
2) I am not carrying the licence on me currently but I will have it by next month. Can I give the BTT on the 23rd July as per schedule, and then, post clearing the test, have my licence converted on a later date?

Thanks in advance!
I've not seen this done but I don't know why you couldn't delay. BTT tests are done on a computer at a driving center. Within 5 minutes of the end of the test, you get your pass/fail slip. Most people walk immediately over to the SPF booth and proceed with next steps in licensing.

Note that unlimited class is not necessarily granted automatically. Also, your license must show that you've been riding for at least a year. If not, you'll need to provide additional information, for example, I had to provide a driving history to show that I'd been on a bike for a long time.

Without knowing what their criteria are, I'd say if you are older, had a bike license for some time, and can demonstrate some training, you'll get an unlimited with no issue. OTOH, if you're 18, 6 months experience, and just bought a liter bike... hmmmm.

More info: http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... ation.html

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 17 Jul 2014 8:10 am

kurtrules wrote:2) I am not carrying the licence on me currently but I will have it by next month. Can I give the BTT on the 23rd July as per schedule, and then, post clearing the test, have my licence converted on a later date?
I don't see any reason why the license has to be converted immediately after passing the test. Unless something has changed more recently BTT is an independent test qualifying also for a regular car driving during the standard courses. It is not only for the conversion.

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Thu, 17 Jul 2014 9:40 am

Thank you for your replies.

@Strong Eagle -

I hold an Indian license issued to me when I obtained the legal driving age, issued from Delhi. It is valid from 2003 to 2023. I have been riding and driving since 2004, and have owned 2 motorcycles since 2007. I have valid proof of ownership of both the vehicles. But yes, my licence was issued without a motorcycle riding test; i just gave a driving test. Back then, the authorities did not need to examine both your driving and riding skills for licence issuance. Strange, but true. Things might have changed in the 12 years now, but not that I am aware off.

Nonetheless, I pen down my travels. So I have quite a few blogs and in-numerous pics that can prove that I have been riding for a long time, if that could make a difference.

It would be great if I can obtain the Class 2 licence as I am looking forward to invest in a liter class this year. However, my concerns are, that since I have been riding a motorcycle, which incidentally, falls under the "class 2A" category in Singapore, for which I can provide proof, I thus conclude, that I might be given nothing more than the 2A here. But thank you for enlightening me, that I may also receive a Class 2, if I ask for it.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 17 Jul 2014 11:06 am

I would suspect that if your license doesn't mention anything about motorcycles then you won't get a motorcycle endorsement, regardless of your riding experience.

I'm sure the clerk won't know the vagaries of different country's licence requirements so with no endorsement you will be stuck.

I also suspect that an Indian licence doesn't carry as much weight and that will count against you. Most of my colleagues bought their licenses and have never sat a practical driving test. Sg knows that.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 17 Jul 2014 11:11 am

bgd wrote:I would suspect that if your license doesn't mention anything about motorcycles then you won't get a motorcycle endorsement, regardless of your riding experience.

I'm sure the clerk won't know the vagaries of different country's licence requirements so with no endorsement you will be stuck.

I also suspect that an Indian licence doesn't carry as much weight and that will count against you. Most of my colleagues bought their licenses and have never sat a practical driving test. Sg knows that.
+1. In addition they are pretty harsh on Indian licence holders who become EP/PR converting quickly (as they know a lot of Indian PR run back home and buy a licence and then bring it back to convert).

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Thu, 17 Jul 2014 1:45 pm

bgd wrote:I would suspect that if your license doesn't mention anything about motorcycles then you won't get a motorcycle endorsement, regardless of your riding experience.

Well, the licence does state that I am eligible to ride a Mycl/Sct [Motorcycle and scooter] in addition to the car. So that clears the air a bit.

I guess will just find out after the BTT. Thanks anyways for the input.

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:59 am

Cleared the BTT. Will now go and apply for the licence on Saturday.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 12:23 pm

Go early. I queued for 3 hours for going at the wrong time.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 12:28 pm

Yes avoid the lunch hours...... And make sure you have all the necessary documents. I was missing something (passport I think, which I didn't realize was required as I have NRIC), and needed to make a return visit and queue twice.....

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 2:24 pm

Yes, it is open from 8:30am to 11:30am on Sat. I'll reach by 8:30

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 1:13 pm

Hi all,
Just to update on the info for anyone (particularly PR) who is thinking to convert their foreign licence...

I recently sat for the BTT (and passed! Phew!). I purchased the E-trial tests package which costed $107.65 for 6 x E-trial test, 1x BTT , 1 x BTT official handbook and online access to the learning materials.

The E-trial package include 10 sets of the BTT questions. I was told they picked the 50 questions from these 10 sets. So, if you are able to complete those 10 sets, you are set to go. And true enough, I managed to complete the actual BTT in about 10 minutes.

One important point for PR to apply for conversion, they will need to know when was your foreign licence first issued. If it is before you obtain your PR status, then you will just need to provide your passport, IC, foreign licence, statement about the first issuance date of your licence, passport sized photo, and pay $50 (by NETS or cashcard only).

If it is after, you will need to provide more documents to show what were you doing in foreign land (after obtaining your SG PR).

For my case, my licence was from ViC Road. The driving history that I purchased from their website did not include first issuance date of my licence. So, I had to call them up to request for it (cost about A$8 something).

You will also need to watch a 10-15 minutes video (about road safety, drink driving) before you can proceed for payment of your application.

The video runs every hourly. starting at 9.30am (or 8.30am ...not too sure), then subsequent at 10.30am, 11.30am etc. So, make sure your timing is right when you go there. I reached at 9.30am (just missed the video session). was called to the counter at 9.45am to submit my document. So I had to wait for another 45 minutes for the video.