Singapore Expats

Converting foreign driving licence for SG PR

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Converting foreign driving licence for SG PR

Post by nanana » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 3:24 pm

Just wonder if the process is the same for PR to convert foreign driving licence as those with employment pass?
Any additional documents that are required?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Converting foreign driving licence for SG PR

Post by the lynx » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 3:31 pm

nanana wrote:Just wonder if the process is the same for PR to convert foreign driving licence as those with employment pass?
Any additional documents that are required?
Yes, exactly the same. Just that your driving license has no expiry date like EP holders' driving licenses.

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks lynx for your reply.
But I've arrived SG and acquired PR status way more than a year. My foreign driving licence is still valid. Not sure if I'm still able to convert by just doing the BTT?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 4:14 pm

nanana wrote:Thanks lynx for your reply.
But I've arrived SG and acquired PR status way more than a year. My foreign driving licence is still valid. Not sure if I'm still able to convert by just doing the BTT?
I am not sure but as long as your foreign driving license is valid, it shouldn't be a problem. Ask TP if you need to clarify on this.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 4:55 pm

Yes you can, only need BTT.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 12:05 am

Beeroclock wrote:

Not exactly. You can actually time out if you're not careful - it seems to depend a bit on which country issued your licence.

You may be told (as happened to a Myanmar PR I know) - you should have converted within 12 months of getting PR.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 1:52 am

PNGMK wrote:
Beeroclock wrote:

Not exactly. You can actually time out if you're not careful - it seems to depend a bit on which country issued your licence.

You may be told (as happened to a Myanmar PR I know) - you should have converted within 12 months of getting PR.
I concur. A friend who had not converted in 12 months (more like not in 5 years) was told he could convert only if he could show some evidence, such as a lot of travel, that would keep him from converting promptly. This was for an American.

I suspect, but do not know, that your age and years of driving experience may also be taken into account in deciding to allow you to convert late in the game.

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 3:24 am

Aust licence. Issued in 2003. Recently just renewed for another 10 yrs.
The only reason I didn't convert earlier is because I didn't think I'll need to drive in SG. Stupid I know! Guess I'll just book for the test and go from there.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 7:16 am

nanana wrote:Aust licence. Issued in 2003. Recently just renewed for another 10 yrs.
The only reason I didn't convert earlier is because I didn't think I'll need to drive in SG. Stupid I know! Guess I'll just book for the test and go from there.
Australia is probably ok. The other trip the TP don't like is people going home (after a few years on EP/PR whatever), getting a new class added or a license and then showing up expecting to convert to a Singapore DL without a test. Indian origin citizens seem to like this trick.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:01 am

PNGMK wrote:
nanana wrote:Aust licence. Issued in 2003. Recently just renewed for another 10 yrs.
Australia is probably ok. The other trip the TP don't like is people going home (after a few years on EP/PR whatever), getting a new class added or a license and then showing up expecting to convert to a Singapore DL without a test. Indian origin citizens seem to like this trick.

PR approval letter will state "you are required by law to convert a driving licence ... if you wish to drive or continue driving in Singapore"

Which seems to cause a lot of confusion. Has been debated here in several other threads and I thought the majority conclusion is that clearly you can no longer drive here if you don't convert, but you can still convert at a later time using the same conversion procedure. But I stand corrected if there are examples of exceptions...

I did mine after 3+ years of PR, UK licence, no issues except the 2 month waiting time to take the BTT.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 6:48 pm

Your license is converted with the classes you have. So if you have both car and motorcycle you get both.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 8:52 pm

bgd wrote:Your license is converted with the classes you have. So if you have both car and motorcycle you get both.

Unless your license specifically states that you can ride large displacement bikes, you will get a class 2b license, 200 cc and under, unless you can demonstrate you have been riding larger bikes.

Example: Texas has no classes of motorcycle license. Picture of bike and MSF certificate got me my class 2.

I also know a fellow who bought and rode an ST1100 on his classeless MC license for almost a year in Singapore before doing the conversion. He showed them his bike, got his class 2.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 12 Jul 2014 12:50 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
Example: Texas has no classes of motorcycle license. Picture of bike and MSF certificate got me my class 2.
Similar here, I didn't even need a picture of a bike. I showed them the 'M1' on my California license and just said "That means any bike". They gave me class 2, 2a, and 2b.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 12 Jul 2014 7:45 am

It just means by default you get very often 2B even if your foreign license is unrestricted. If you want higher, say class 2, beside of having the foreign driving license you should somehow prove you ride this sort of bike.
If you showed them pictures of you riding, for example, CB600 or a proof of ownership, they may give you the 2 class. If this would be CB400, they will probably give you only class 2a.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 4:32 pm

Emergency123 wrote:
x9200 wrote:It just means by default you get very often 2B even if your foreign license is unrestricted.
If I am given a 2B license , do I need to buy and drive a 2B vehicle and only then apply for a 2A ? or may I just keep the license and apply for a higher class after the required period of time ?
Probably not but you will likely need to take the 2A driving course and pass the relevant practical test.
For a normal work flow (attending the courses from scratch) after obtaining 2B you need to wait for 1 year and only after that time you can enroll for 2A. Nobody checks the ownership at the 2A stage so you may be literally waiting just watching TV.

With the 2B obtained by the conversion it could be different though so you may want to check it with the traffic police and the driving centers.