Singapore Expats

Relocating from US to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
HappyFamily

Relocating from US to Singapore

Post by HappyFamily » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 3:26 pm

My family is relocating to Singapore with my husband's job. This will be the first time we will live life as expats. Mixed feelings of excitement and fear. Singapore is a wonderful place for expats, and also very expensive, we heard. We are inclined to pack all personal belongings from here so that we don't need to buy much when we get to Singapore. Is there anything we shouldn't bring with us? We appreciate any suggestions and advice. Any amount of help would be appreciated.

1. Electrical appliances like TV, stereo system, microwave oven, etc etc. we are aware there's voltage differences. Should we bring US electrical appliances into Singapore?

2. Is there any tax/import duty on personal belongings? If there is, how is it calculated?

3. We will be bringing along our old dog. We are afraid to leave him at the quarantine facility for too long. Should we be concerned?

4. Should we bring our furniture, kitchen things? Will they survive the cargo shipment?

5. Can we bring our plants? We have lots of indoor plants.

6. Can we bring bottles of wine? We have lots too.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Relocating from US to Singapore

Post by taxico » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 11:10 pm

HappyFamily wrote:My family is relocating to Singapore with my husband's job. This will be the first time we will live life as expats. Mixed feelings of excitement and fear. Singapore is a wonderful place for expats, and also very expensive, we heard. We are inclined to pack all personal belongings from here so that we don't need to buy much when we get to Singapore. Is there anything we shouldn't bring with us? We appreciate any suggestions and advice. Any amount of help would be appreciated.

1. Electrical appliances like TV, stereo system, microwave oven, etc etc. we are aware there's voltage differences. Should we bring US electrical appliances into Singapore?

2. Is there any tax/import duty on personal belongings? If there is, how is it calculated?

3. We will be bringing along our old dog. We are afraid to leave him at the quarantine facility for too long. Should we be concerned?

4. Should we bring our furniture, kitchen things? Will they survive the cargo shipment?

5. Can we bring our plants? We have lots of indoor plants.

6. Can we bring bottles of wine? We have lots too.
a quick search will get you answers to most of your questions.

1. probably not, except for stuff that switches voltage.

2. not that i know of/remember. i've and never had the stuff i shipped here taxed (relocation).

3. you can visit him regularly. the facilities are humane and up to standard.

4. hmmm... depends on the voyage and stackers and packers, i'd think...

5. not unnless you have a permit. although i've seen plants being shipped and slipped in before... by accident.

6. you can bring as much wine (and other types of alcohol) so long as you declare them and pay the taxes (well worth it in my opinion and i recommend bringing multiple crates over if you drink it often).

good luck!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sun, 27 Apr 2014 2:36 pm

As far as shipping furniture goes, it'll depend on the packers like the other poster mentioned. The king-sized bed we shipped did just fine. The glassware did fine. The printer did fine, but we had to get a bulky voltage converter (transformer) for it when we got here. The computer monitors/screens did not do so well. Be sure you watch the packers closely when they come to pack up your house. Those packers are lightening fast. I made the mistake of sitting in the kitchen talking to the person packing up there while the man packing the computer equipment was in the living room so I didn't see that he just had just put everything in a box and sealed it and not wrapped up anything individually. Therefore the equipment rubbed against each other. If you're shipping a bed, bring enough bed sheets.

If you're bringing a dog, be sure that breed is allowed in Singapore. Also, pets have to be leashed at all times at most condos and in public parks. (There are probably some exceptions, but I'm just speaking in general terms). Therefore, if your dog is used to running around freely in a yard, it'll have a huge adjustment to make. Also, no pets on buses, MRT trains, etc.

You might want to consider giving your houseplants away to friends/family or on Craigslist. Maybe donate them to a local garden club. Ceilings at many condos are concrete and it's impossible to install things like ceiling hooks for hanging plants. It might be a good idea to start over with native plants when you get here. You can look around your space and see what might fit.

Also, do you know if your place will be furnished or partially furnished? For instance, ours came with a TV, dining table, kitchen oven, refrigerator and a guest room bed. When asking about whether a place is furnished, be sure you find out what furnished means. Everyone has their own definition of furnished. If they say it comes with an oven, make sure they're not talking about a toaster oven. That kind of thing.

Dert42
Regular
Regular

Post by Dert42 » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 8:49 am

1. make sure the volatage can handle either 110 or 220. Things like laptops can. Things (generally with motors) like a fan do not bother.
2. i believe the taxes are waved for your move in.
3. i've said this before and got yelled at, but i would not bring an old dog to Singapore.
4. yes, totally fine to bring furniture BUT! It may not fit in your new living space very well. for example a giant 10 person dining table, or a large sectional couch, california king mattress, etc. may not fit the space well. if it fits at all. otherwise, bring it i say. get extra sheets for your bed. the mattresses are different sizes here.
5. i would think there would be restrictions if not outright bans on bringing in plants. i can't imagine they would even survive the shipping trip well either. easy to acquire beautiful tropical plants here.
6. i was going to bring in a box of rum. the quote i got was several times more then the cost of the rum. i just rely on what liquor i can get from duty free now.

7. we really enjoy Singapore and we're glad we moved.