Singapore Expats

Shoulder surgery: need feedback

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
cheshirecat1

Shoulder surgery: need feedback

Post by cheshirecat1 » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 4:58 pm

Hi,

I am looking for some information and feedback from people on this forum who may have undergone a shoulder surgery (arthroscopic - Bankart or similar) to treat frequent shoulder dislocation.
I have been advised this surgery by my doctor and looking for real life experience on the post operation recovery.

Please PM me if you do not wish to talk about this on a public forum.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 5:48 pm

One of my brother-in-laws when into NUH for rotator cuff surgery two years ago and never left the hospital. Oh, wait. He left, but in a pine box. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 11:54 pm

In all honesty, you'd get better feedback in any one of a zillion shoulder/surgery forums, rather than a bunch of expats.

But, I did have arthroscopic surgery on my shoulder, for an odd/rare form of scarification that caused impingement following a major rebuild of my shoulder (having been broken into 5 pieces in an accident).

I was operated on by Dr Denny Lie at SGH and I can't recommend him highly enough. Having had all sorts of problems *caused* by other doctors (misdiagnosis and treatment) this genius rebuilt me. Having my biceps and pecs chopped through took a long 2yr recovery and physio three times a week but I've gone from 10% usage to about 95% now.

The operation itself was quick and painless as far as operations go, and I was giddy when I woke up with the immediate increase in range of motion.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Shoulder surgery: need feedback

Post by taxico » Thu, 01 May 2014 4:16 pm

cheshirecat1 wrote:...I am looking for some information and feedback from people on this forum who may have undergone a shoulder surgery (arthroscopic - Bankart or similar) to treat frequent shoulder dislocation.
I have been advised this surgery by my doctor and looking for real life experience on the post operation recovery...
have you paid 2 other doctors for a second and third opinion?

recovery isn't the only thing you should think about, but also complications that may arise as a result of surgery (even if it's through athroscopy).
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 12 May 2014 10:09 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:One of my brother-in-laws when into NUH for rotator cuff surgery two years ago and never left the hospital. Oh, wait. He left, but in a pine box. :-|
I do wonder - why???????????

Btw, I had serious chronic (lasted for over 6 months) issues with shoulders recently (due to my workouts) - pain, popping out etc. Nothing helped except resting my shoulders for abt 2 months. Yes, it feels very creepy though when your shoulder pops and cracks, seems like something is permanently torn and the only way to handle it is to surgically reattach... appeared to be not an issue. Tendons and ligaments may become loose for various reasons. Often you can just rest shoulder and it gets back to normal.

Btw, my acromion is reasonably flat, no bone spurs. Ur case may be different.