Singapore Expats Forum

Do's and Don't's...

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

churmie

Do's and Don't's...

Postby churmie » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:34 pm

Hi

I have spent the last 5 (unsuccessful) months trying to find work in Singapore and despite hundreds of applications for job's I could do virtually blind folded, I have come to the conclusion, that I have to dig deep in the pockets and get out there in person and start knocking on some doors.

Which means I will be visiting Singapore for a week (I can't afford to stay any longer). I realise I am being optimistic in only giving myself a week, but I have to give it a shot.

So if anybody could give me any tips on any faux pas' that I should avoid that would be much appreciated. Is it expected that I should wear a tie to interviews despite the climate? I will be wearing a suit, but in the UK it's becoming less and less of a problem wearing a tie.

I have started emailing company's directly and have had a couple of replies inviting me to meet up, but like the websites, a 100 emails, may, if I'm lucky, get me one response. My next step was calling the recruitment agencies and inviting myself round their offices. Do they appreciate the persistence or is that deemed a nuisance?

Any tips would be hugely appreciated.

For info - I am a manager with 17 years experience in Operations and the Supply Chain (you've got to try haven't you!).

Regards

Lee Churm :)

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Do's and Don't's...

Postby taxico » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:54 pm

churmie wrote:...I will be visiting Singapore for a week (I can't afford to stay any longer). I realise I am being optimistic in only giving myself a week, but I have to give it a shot.

So if anybody could give me any tips on any faux pas' that I should avoid that would be much appreciated. Is it expected that I should wear a tie to interviews despite the climate? I will be wearing a suit, but in the UK it's becoming less and less of a problem wearing a tie.

...My next step was calling the recruitment agencies and inviting myself round their offices. Do they appreciate the persistence or is that deemed a nuisance?

i've not been through many job interviews in my life, but i think a tie is appropriate and would more than suffice.

i do not think visiting recruitment offices are a nuisance as they always appreciate having an opportunity to market you and earn a commission from your employer.

however, it would appear that knowing who to send your resume and sending said resume out to such persons before you land would be sufficient for them to find suitable job vacancies for you.

a week is quite short, so being able to line up a bunch of interviews (by yourself or through a recruiter) before you arrive sounds like a smart thing to do.

i wish you nothing but the best of luck.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Director
Director

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 12:39 am

Pull not push.

See my post on "LinkedIn - it works in Singapore"

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Postby uscate » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 9:10 am

Also, be sure to use spell check and watch out for that pesky apostrophe!!

Edited to add that I'm not trying to be snarky - I typically try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I've had hiring managers in the field you're looking at (supply chain guys, engineers, scientists) ask to see cover letters or cover emails and turn a candidate down because of spelling / obvious grammatical errors….and since you're not from here and will be relocating, everything you say / do will be viewed as "why should I rule this guy out?" rather than "why should I rule him in?"

All the best to you -

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Postby uscate » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 9:19 am

Referencing LinkedIn - have you done a search for Supply Chain Managers, or synonyms on LI? If not, then do it now! You should pull up the profiles for the Supply Chain people who use LI in short order. Send them each an InMail with a (very) brief snippet describing your skills, telling them when you're here and linking them to your profile. Remember to make this introduction brief, but enticing….Good luck!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:54 am

A week is not enough unless you already have 3 or 4 interviews per day lined up.

Recruiting agencies are worthless. They'll take your CV, tell you about all the great opportunities and you'll never hear from them again... unless to tell you about jobs for which you are completely unqualified.

UScate and others are correct about researching on Linked In. I might also suggest that you google for a list of companies in Singapore and check each individual website for opportunities.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 3:56 am

In 12 years of working in Singapore, the only people I encountered wearing suit and tie were Japanese - I concluded that they must have some genetic defect to this effect, because nobody in his right mind would wear such inappropriate (for tropical heat and humidity) attire under any circumstanmces.
I managed all my successful Singapore job interviews with black jeans and a short-sleeved shirt (no tie). The interviewers were similarly dressed.

churmie

Postby churmie » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 7:41 am

Thanks guys for your responses. I always find this forum useful. A lot of helpful people.

I have used LinkedIn very frequently and have managed to connect with a few SC professionals, but I have to engage them now and tempt them into meeting me. My CV isn't just Supply Chain, it has a lot of Trading/Retail experience too, so I am hoping to tempt them with a broad range of skills.

I have been warned that it is difficult to get work from where I am based, and that employers will deem it a hassle to hire me rather than just a local, but I just can't accept that. I have to try. It might well inevitably turn out to be the case, but I will have to have the door slammed on my face a few more hundred times yet, before I accept defeat.

Recruiters are my biggest fear. They don't care about the individual as a rule. It's a laborious task emailing companies blind, but I think its my best shot.

Once again thanks for your help and advice. Job or no job, I can think of few better places to come away from empty handed. I will enjoy my trip regardless!! :wink:

Lee

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Beeroclock » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:10 am

churmie wrote:Thanks guys for your responses. I always find this forum useful. A lot of helpful people.

I have used LinkedIn very frequently and have managed to connect with a few SC professionals, but I have to engage them now and tempt them into meeting me. My CV isn't just Supply Chain, it has a lot of Trading/Retail experience too, so I am hoping to tempt them with a broad range of skills.

I have been warned that it is difficult to get work from where I am based, and that employers will deem it a hassle to hire me rather than just a local, but I just can't accept that. I have to try. It might well inevitably turn out to be the case, but I will have to have the door slammed on my face a few more hundred times yet, before I accept defeat.

Recruiters are my biggest fear. They don't care about the individual as a rule. It's a laborious task emailing companies blind, but I think its my best shot.

Once again thanks for your help and advice. Job or no job, I can think of few better places to come away from empty handed. I will enjoy my trip regardless!! :wink:

Lee
Good luck, you seem to have a strong impetus/reason to want to come to Singapore. Not sure what it is, but maybe that is part of the story you need to articulate when selling yourself.

Also : "It's a laborious task emailing companies blind, but I think its my best shot."

I suggest you use the phone too. Everyone's overwhelmed by emails and these are easy to ignore, if someone calls with a brief into and offering to discuss career opportunities over a coffee, IMHO it is more likely to get a yes.

Also agree with other posters, linkedin is worth a try and better to approach companies directly, but don't completely rule out headhunters just select carefully.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby AngMoG » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:14 am

churmie wrote:I have used LinkedIn very frequently and have managed to connect with a few SC professionals, but I have to engage them now and tempt them into meeting me. My CV isn't just Supply Chain, it has a lot of Trading/Retail experience too, so I am hoping to tempt them with a broad range of skills.

If I may give a bit of advice... hiring managers are rarely tempted by a "broad range of skills". Rather, it is good to have a focused resume that goes in a specific direction; for example, target for supply chain (maybe even a specific area of it). Make more resumes if you have more than one area of search. Obviously, your LinkedIn profile will need to combine those areas, but at least in your resumes, be specific.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 2:51 pm

beppi wrote:In 12 years of working in Singapore, the only people I encountered wearing suit and tie were Japanese - I concluded that they must have some genetic defect to this effect, because nobody in his right mind would wear such inappropriate (for tropical heat and humidity) attire under any circumstanmces.
I managed all my successful Singapore job interviews with black jeans and a short-sleeved shirt (no tie). The interviewers were similarly dressed.

Bit of a generalisation there. It depends on the industry and the context of the meeting / interview.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Postby uscate » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 7:19 pm

I agree with BillyB - have fun with the black hipster outfit if you're interviewing in the financial sector or manufacturing (outside of IT, perhaps)….but that may just be my own gross generalizations in effect.

To the OP - Good luck with your search!