Singapore Expats

Long Term Visit Pass application issue

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
IanE

Post by IanE » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 3:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Marriage is an option though.
I don't know whether I would be able entitled to get a dependents' pass for my partner if we were to get married as I already have my Employment Pass.

triste
Regular
Regular

Post by triste » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 4:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It was just a matter of time before the loophole was slammed shut. They don't allow common law marriages for Citizens so they were in an uproar.
They were allowing girlfriends and boyfriends of expats in on the same pass as spouses of SC. The pass for spouse of expat is superior to that for spouse of SC. If it happened in our country there'd be an uproar as well.

nic152

Post by nic152 » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 4:36 pm

Hi IanE, it will definitely be worth speaking with your company. I know that my partner's company said that if we get married in the future (we wanted to settle in Sing before we did this but we may have to change the order of things!) then they will be able to sponsor my dependent pass no problem, so I assume there must be an option to acquire a DP at a separate time to acquiring the EP. Guess your only problem now could be raising alarm bells with the MOM if they have denied your LTVP application. What a nightmare this whole process seems to be.

It may also be worth looking on the Contact Singapore website. You may have already come across them but they are a Sing government department who appear to be primarily set up in order to attract expats to Singapore. I actually went to a meeting back in London where they gave us lots of information about jobs, accommodation and general Singapore living. In fact, I think that will be my next port of call - I don't want to start going through the LTVP process if it's inevitable that it will be declined and then could cause us problems if/when we get married. I will let you know when I hear back.

Does anyone know how long a British national can stay in Singapore without a visa? I heard it was 3 months and as long as I leave the country by this time, I can return and stay another 3 months. Is this true? If so it should be pretty easy as we plan on travelling to other countries at the weekends. My situation is that I want to find a job when I get to Singapore so I only need the LTVP to see me through until I can find a company to sponsor an EP. I am aware the job search isn't always easy for expats but I'm hoping the fact I work in finance will help my search. I assume having an LTVP won't be of any benefit to me in finding a job (as it does not entitle me to work)? But does anyone know if having a DP (if we were to get married) will help make me more attractive to a company? Obviously they won't then have to sponsor my visa as a DP entitles you to work but I have been told that visa sponsorship is a negligible amount and shouldn't put a company off employing you.

triste
Regular
Regular

Post by triste » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 4:43 pm

p.s. 'Marriage is an option', for some people. But for some others that have chosen not to become married, then doing so for a visa is not desirable. Others have chosen not to be married, and won't do so under any circumstances.
If not being married is more important than seeing your partner every day, then that's the choice that party made. Those people can suck it up and follow Singapore's rules in order to be with the person they love or they can be apart. I don't get some of these posts about it being not romantic. What's not romantic would be realizing your intended doesn't love you enough to marry you when that's the only option for being together.

triste
Regular
Regular

Post by triste » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 4:50 pm

But does anyone know if having a DP (if we were to get married) will help make me more attractive to a company? Obviously they won't then have to sponsor my visa as a DP entitles you to work but I have been told that visa sponsorship is a negligible amount and shouldn't put a company off employing you.
If you are applying for jobs that pay below or on the cusp of the requirement for EP, then yes, having that DP will make it infinitely easier for you to get a job. I speak from experience as I've been offered several jobs and had the offer revoked once they realized spouse of citizen doesn't qualify for LOC as spouse of expat does. :roll:

If you're applying for jobs that would pay above that rate anyway, it will make no difference.

IanE

Post by IanE » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 4:59 pm

nic152 wrote:It may also be worth looking on the Contact Singapore website.
That's a great idea, I've not heard of them before, but it has to be worth a go, so I will contact them. Let me know how you get on too.

With regards to getting married, I think that if you get married prior to your partner applying for an Employment Pass then you will be added to the Employment Pass application form as a spouse, so in theory you should be able to get a dependents' pass that way. In my situation, because I already have my Employment Pass, I'm not sure if I would be able to get a dependents' pass for my partner if I was to get married now.

Usually British nationals receive a 90 day stay for a tourist visa. However I am not sure what would happen if (for instance) you were to stay for two and a half months, go across a border and then come back again on multiple occasions as re-entry to Singapore is at the discretion of Singapore Immigration.

As far as I am aware having an LTVP would not put you at an advantage in getting a job compared to someone on a tourist visa.

opinionatedman

Post by opinionatedman » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 5:36 pm

IanE wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Marriage is an option though.
I don't know whether I would be able entitled to get a dependents' pass for my partner if we were to get married as I already have my Employment Pass.

Don't worry, if you are currently on EP and then get married, you can apply for a DP separately.

I have a couple of colleagues who got married, while already working on EP, and then the company separately applied for his spouse's DP.

Whether you want to get married is another point altogether.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 6:10 pm

triste wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:It was just a matter of time before the loophole was slammed shut. They don't allow common law marriages for Citizens so they were in an uproar.
They were allowing girlfriends and boyfriends of expats in on the same pass as spouses of SC. The pass for spouse of expat is superior to that for spouse of SC. If it happened in our country there'd be an uproar as well.
An important difference is that common law marriage is not a recognised relationship in Singapore, i,e, for SGns. Same same with same sex marriage, and so on.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 8:36 am

triste wrote:
That's because those who are in EP or other work pass, are not meant to stay long-term. So they can come with their "unconventional" partners and they are welcomed to leave with them once Singapore is done with them. They are welcomed as long as this is what it takes for the talent to build up in Singapore, and once it is done and milked, off they go.

But "unconventional" partners of Singapore citizens? They will always meant to stay, through thick and thin, and no way, that will ruin the perfect family unit!

Not my words actually, but this is what I would personify what the government's stand is in this.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 8:51 am

I can see the headline now...

'Gay men milked by Singapore'.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:11 am

triste wrote:]

If not being married is more important than seeing your partner every day, then that's the choice that party made. Those people can suck it up and follow Singapore's rules in order to be with the person they love or they can be apart. I don't get some of these posts about it being not romantic. What's not romantic would be realizing your intended doesn't love you enough to marry you when that's the only option for being together.
sometime ago someone ranted that Singapore is being unfair and is breaking up his relationship ... now that was nice ;)

Lynx. you are on the right track, re: standard family unit as per specifications if SG Inc ...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:27 am

ecureilx wrote:Lynx. you are on the right track, re: standard family unit as per specifications if SG Inc ...
Isn't there some politician with a transexual child, and one (or more?) homosexual others too? Who knows. Maybe the policy is despite, or, because of that.

-- Then of course the oft repeated 'Singapore is the gayest country in the world despite it being illegal'.

--- Makes an expat meet up a refreshingly hetero experience, compared to most of the wet flowers I encounter on a day to day basis. Christ not one guy was carrying his wife or girlfriend's handbag... amazing! lol...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:32 am

JR8 wrote:Christ, not one guy was carrying his wife or girlfriend's handbag... amazing! lol...
My pet peeve. The only exception is when she is trying to tie her hair or shoe laces.

Especially when he is holding for her THE WHOLE TIME! Really not attractive (both of them).

opinionatedman

Post by opinionatedman » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:33 am

JR8 wrote: Christ not one guy was carrying his wife or girlfriend's handbag... amazing! lol...

lolz... :D :D :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:41 am

the lynx wrote:
JR8 wrote:Christ, not one guy was carrying his wife or girlfriend's handbag... amazing! lol...
My pet peeve. The only exception is when she is trying to tie her hair or shoe laces.
Especially when he is holding for her THE WHOLE TIME! Really not attractive (both of them).
'I encounter last night ah?' Been a while and I had to laugh. Some young guy with a (presumably fake) Chanel handbag strapped across his body.*

And then his anti-vision of a ya-ya banana girlfriend. Quite the couple.

* In some places this alone would invite you getting stabbed in the head.