Singapore Expats Forum

Has anyone moved to Singapore without securing a job?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

adrianlee
Regular
Regular

Has anyone moved to Singapore without securing a job?

Postby adrianlee » Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:46 am

Has anyone have moved to Spore and begin looking for work there (using their 30 day holiday visa)? Were you successful in securing a job during that time? How did you get the position?

Please share your experiences. I'm planning to do the same as applying for a local Singapore job while in another country is proving quite fruitless...

Thanks,
Adrian

bad move

Postby bad move » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:16 am

Yes, I did it by coming here without a job lined up, spent 7 months searching for one during the height of SARS (bad move on my part), and lost a lot of money in the process. Word to the wise: find a job first before you come out. It's so much easier if you do it this way! But I did it out of love and now after being here two years and finally settled in a job and happy, my love decides to leave me. So in hindsight it wasn't worth it at all. Visa wasn't a problem as I had a three month visa, left for a week then came back in. Good luck to you.

adrianlee
Regular
Regular

Postby adrianlee » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 6:05 pm

Thanks for your advise. But its very hard to get hired when the employer hasnt even seen the candidate in person.... I know that if i was an employer, I'll have doubts hiring someone from overseas.

ad

bad move

Postby bad move » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 8:22 pm

Your right. Most of the expats that are living here are either brought over by their company which has a local office or the companies here seek out those elsewhere. But I will tell you that coming here with no job and hoping to get hired in a short amount of time, is difficult. Plan on at least six months, sometimes less or more, depending on how lucky you get. Also on what career field your currently in. If a company here wants to hire you bad enough, they won't care where in the world you live as they can always fly you here for an interview. It's doable but rough.

stonewall

really?

Postby stonewall » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:11 am

i also wanted to come with no job. also out of love, but i know she won't leave me. what sort of job did you look for? i was hoping that getting a job in finance or consulting would be easy...is this a false assumption?

adrianlee
Regular
Regular

Postby adrianlee » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:15 am

Its unfortunate that the Australian company i'm working for is only Aust based. Otherwise I wouldnt might getting a transfer, even if its not as an expat. Whilst I would love to secure a job in Spore, I still want one that pays to my experience and skills. But if youre not fuss about the money and willing to be paid peanuts, i'm sure your chances would be higher...But then love alone does not feed the tummy...

By the way, anyone looking for an accountant with 7 yrs experience and has worked for large organisations (energy & manufacturing) in Australia. Do email or pm me!

Ad

Francis28

Postby Francis28 » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 6:37 pm

Adrian, care to share more about why you want to come over to SG?

adrianlee
Regular
Regular

Postby adrianlee » Fri, 14 Jan 2005 8:53 am

Francis,

I'm originally from Malaysia, but left my country when I was 13. I've always wanted to experience life in Asia. Now that I've had 7 years of international working experience, I would like to take the opportunity to fulfill my dream and at the same time, develop my career. Singapore is a country with many job prospects and good living conditions. Frankly I think I'll enjoy the fast paced and competitive working conditions there (Aust was very laid back and slow progress...).

Adrian

Francis28

Postby Francis28 » Fri, 14 Jan 2005 2:58 pm

Cool, I'm from Malaysia too! Which part of m'sia did you come from? I came to SG at the age of 15.

Anyway, have you been offered a job here in SG yet?

Cheers

adrianlee
Regular
Regular

Postby adrianlee » Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:29 am

Francis,
Unfortunately, non of the recruitment agents have responded my applications, nor have they even bothered to reply my queries. I guess if the candidate is not in Spore, theyre not really interested. I wrote to them hoping to make contact with some of the agents when I'm in Spore (Mar 05). However no response as yet. Quite discouraging. Maybe I'll just stay in Australia and reap in the $$$.

Ad (Ipoh boy)

ssinsingapore

be prepared to live with lower pay

Postby ssinsingapore » Tue, 18 Jan 2005 3:37 pm

Hi Adrian,

You can come to Singapore on a social visit pass for 30 days AND extend for three months for purpose of seeking employment.

I dont think it will be an issue finding work as an accountant, HOWEVER, be prepared to accept lower pay . After all, this is Singapore where the pay and benefits and work-life balance is not as good as Australia's...

Here I am , wanting to take a more laid back lifestyle, and you are hankering to come to Singapore....grass is always greener on the other side.

Rgs

Rahulunlucky

sailing in the same boat.

Postby Rahulunlucky » Sat, 22 Jan 2005 5:24 pm

hi buddy'
even i ve come frm india ..looking for a job in singapore frm past 2 weeks in sales & marketing...but so far i ve nt got any job...is it tht tough to get a job here??
i ve sent more than 100 application to the employer and recruitment agencies in the past 2 weeks..but till now i ve nt got a single call...Never found an employer who could recruit indian citizen??
im really confused....dont knw wht to do??
plzz help me!!!!!!!!

RAHUL(The most unluckiest guy)

adrianlee
Regular
Regular

Postby adrianlee » Sun, 23 Jan 2005 5:40 pm

RAHUL,
Sales is always a hard job to get. You will need to have a pretty impressive job history to justify your employer hiring you AND sponsoring you to be in Singapore. I believe the cost of sponsoring deters employers from hiring overseas employees. What you could do is op to pay for the sponsor cost...not sure if this is common practice though.

Dont write or email recruitment agents. Be proactive and either call for an appointment or go in person to their office. Afterall, you are in sales...so sell yourself!

ad

RAHUL

thanks adrianlee

Postby RAHUL » Mon, 24 Jan 2005 1:13 pm

hi there,
thnx a lot ...i 'll do wht u ve told me to do...hope this time it works out..if u ve any idea abt the employer who recruits indians ..do let me knw..i 'll be in Singapore till 3rd feb 2005...hope things work out.
thanks.
regards,
RAHUL.