Singapore Expats

Top Stomping - Nice picture though...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Top Stomping - Nice picture though...

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 1:10 pm

Another Ang Moh getting stomped ....

Great pic of dude with middle finger to camera :shock:

Wonder when this kind of crap is gonna stop.

Check out Singapores number one news portal. :roll:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 1:14 pm

Was that the picture of a dude on a bike?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 1:53 pm

This guy in his car ...

Its quality :D

Its story 3 or 4 on Asia One website.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 2:03 pm

What a moron.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 2:43 pm

This is just great! trigger happy smart phone people who need to upload their daily dose of foreign atrocities to an Online Judge Dredd.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 2:57 pm

Seems like everything could be served as fodder for foreign-trashing, whether he is in the right or not. Once again, another "us versus them" magnet.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 9:28 pm

I agree with the Stomper on this one, very poor driving.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 8:35 pm

Welcome the foreigner in (as you need him): Then make him a useful target of hate.

Ah, uniquely Singapore.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:51 pm

No conflict here. The people doing xenophobic stuff is different from the people who encourage foreign talent to work in Singapore.

Gahment wants to attract foreign talent as they have to do long term projection. Need to keep economy competitive and maintain population size at the same time. SG has the lowest birthrate out of 256 countries in the world.

General population does not like the competition from having more foreigners in their midst. Their concerns are short term, daily bread and butter issue. They don't like the changes in social fabric and learning new ways of doing things. Changes are very hard for people. Majority are not flexible enough or ready to change themselves to accept the new status quo. The refusal to change themselves and accept new comers is very common in countries around the world. It is the universal human condition.

Now that they are all in these together, the gahment, the citizens and the newly arrived have to figure out how to make this work in the least painful way possible for everyone involved. Everybody has to do some give and take.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 9:14 am

Then why are the state/(government lol) owned newspapers publishing this stuff? They are one and the same. It was recently some white guy married to Miss Singapore, then Indians hanging out downtown after work, and this week it’s back to bashing another white guy. Who do you think will be the '''Foreign Trashes''' target next? I'm putting my money on Indian workers again, or maybe the Pinays will get a turn. FWIW I think it’s all ‘bread and circuses’, but it’s a dangerous game as it encourages and targets hatred.

Look at how some of the locals drive. It’s quite plausible (IME) that the indignant local deserved a finger. Big deal – but oh no here the government publish it and it, somehow, becomes a national story! I expect the witch-hunt will only grow. The government are not going to make SG seem like a nice place to live, it they go about publishing and sensationalising trivial nonsense like this.

It is no wonder SGns often have to travel abroad in tour-groups with a guide. With their one-dimensional bubble-view of people and the world they can be a danger to themselves.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 9:48 am

how the situation should have been really solved:

get out of the car , call each others mothers the sweetest of names and then get back in the car and drive off casually whistling.
I don't see what the big problem here is , road rage happens, you deal with it and move on with life not throw a hissy tantrum.

I saw the same incident between a taxi driver and a motorbike dude in Serangoon the other day, both locals and the mother cheebais and the father cheebais were in full flow.

:cool:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 9:52 am

Driving in Singapore can be stressful, however the very few times I've felt at risk of road rage have been 8/10 with a white expat male at the wheel of the other car. Incidentally what the man in the picture did is an offense in Singapore (I can't recall the specific charge but people have been charged for making rude gestures before - I imagine the SPF will be visiting him).

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:52 am

I had a look into this, giving the bird is only an offence if done to a lady (outrage of modesty) as far as I could find. Unfortunately for him there was a lady in the passenger seat of the stompers car.

I see he did something wrong, but, frankly, the situation was totally avoidable if the guy in the car had not driven up the side of him and started shouting like a maniac, also, we don't know how close he was following the guy, he could have been tailgating before that point.
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:01 am

I think, but am not sure, that this is a non-seizable offence so the receiver must file civil suit.

PENAL CODE
(CHAPTER 224)
REVISED EDITION 1985
18 of 1998

CHAPTER XXII
CRIMINAL INTIMIDATION, INSULT AND ANNOYANCE

Intentional insult with intent to provoke a breach of the peace.
504. Whoever intentionally insults, and thereby gives provocation to any person, intending or knowing it to be likely that such provocation will cause him to break the public peace, or to commit any other offence, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 2 years, or with fine, or with both.

Word or gesture intended to insult the modesty of a woman.
509. Whoever, intending to insult the modesty of any woman, utters any word, makes any sound or gesture, or exhibits any object, intending that such word or sound shall be heard, or that such gesture or object shall be seen by such woman, or intrudes upon the privacy of such woman, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year, or with fine, or with both.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:12 am

PNGMK wrote:Driving in Singapore can be stressful... Incidentally what the man in the picture did is an offense in Singapore (I can't recall the specific charge but people have been charged for making rude gestures before - I imagine the SPF will be visiting him).

- that's because they're often such bad drivers. For example I live within sight of a car-park. They all reverse park, as they all depend on parking computers. They back-in at about 1" a minute. Then when they're done, they often get out and 'inspect' around the car, how they have parked. Sometimes they get back in and spend another 5 minutes adjusting the car maybe 1-2". - Meanwhile often a queue of cars is stuck waiting hysterically '''horning''' the driver (illegally). It's great fun to watch :)
- Giving a finger/V is an offence? Lol. I'd love to see the Statute on that.
- Some of the things complete strangers say behind your back (locals, thinking you won't understand) is pretty jaw-dropping. I wonder if that is illegal too.

I think the finger/V troubles locals, as they'd rather slag you off behind your back. You're never going to get it 'in your face' from a local, unless he's bonkers or high. So the Finger-giver has by default won.... and they can't accept the internal conflict that little ego-crush causes...