Singapore Expats Forum

IELTS - need advice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:26 am

nanana wrote:thank you all for your input. and thanks to akimbo for your tips. did a few of the practice tests. think I might have problem with the reading section too. gosh! that is just so much to read for such a short time.

wd40: aust/nz company?! I WISH! no...it is only a local company...and get this...the position is kindergarten english teacher. YUP! kindergarten... but i have no choice. Just have to go through this as I have been job hunting for more than a year now. kinda desperate.

anyway, the test is TOMORROW (and friday for speaking test)! wish me luck! will report back to you guys once all is over. definitely need a drink after that. anyone?


Oh, its for an English teaching job, so makes sense. Just relax and write the test, you will do well. Don't worry.

nanana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2008

Postby nanana » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 3:23 pm

hey peeps! managed to survive after killing most of my brain cells in that 3 hours. was so nervous in the morning. arrived at the venue an hour earlier (yeah...picked up some kiasu habit from the locals). but to my surprise, there were even more people arrived earlier than me!

the venue was freezing cold. didnt help much to calm my nerve.
anyway, kinda drifted away during the listening test. so, probably got 5 or so questions wrong. not sure what score will i get for that one.

reading part was probably ok. not sure about the writing section. the question was about the availability of printed reading materials in the future (as most ppl are using internet to search for info). had difficulty in writing the intro part. some sentence structures may be awkward. didnt count the words written. hopefully i met their criteria.
anyway, all is done now. preparing for my speaking test tomorrow (@akimbo, what questions did you get for this part?)


@akimbo n @rajagainstthemachine: DEAL!!! pint of larger and gin n tonic it is. anyone else?
results out in 2 wks time. but dont think i can wait that long! how about tomorrow night for finally completing the exam :wink: :wink: :wink: , and another time after getting the results. :D :D :D

btw, how did you guys insert my message in your post?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34260
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 4:25 pm

See the button in the left top corner of each post just to the right of the user's nick? Says "Quote". Find the post you want to quote and click the quote button in that post. It will open the new post entry box and it will already be quoted in there. Add you text, proofread and hit enter just like any other post. Bob's yer uncle!

moderator

nanana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2008

Postby nanana » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:00 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:See the button in the left top corner of each post just to the right of the user's nick? Says "Quote". Find the post you want to quote and click the quote button in that post. It will open the new post entry box and it will already be quoted in there. Add you text, proofread and hit enter just like any other post. Bob's yer uncle!

moderator


thanks, uncle bob!

sad. abit disappointed with myself for the speaking test. too nervous. mind went blank. couldnt express myself clearly. and used the wrong tense. sigh!
no mood for drink anymore. :(
there goes my job offer.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:30 am

nanana wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:See the button in the left top corner of each post just to the right of the user's nick? Says "Quote". Find the post you want to quote and click the quote button in that post. It will open the new post entry box and it will already be quoted in there. Add you text, proofread and hit enter just like any other post. Bob's yer uncle!

moderator


thanks, uncle bob!

sad. abit disappointed with myself for the speaking test. too nervous. mind went blank. couldnt express myself clearly. and used the wrong tense. sigh!
no mood for drink anymore. :(
there goes my job offer.



what was the speaking test like ? what was the subject about?
don't lose heart, was it really all that bad?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nanana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2008

Postby nanana » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 3:09 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
nanana wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:See the button in the left top corner of each post just to the right of the user's nick? Says "Quote". Find the post you want to quote and click the quote button in that post. It will open the new post entry box and it will already be quoted in there. Add you text, proofread and hit enter just like any other post. Bob's yer uncle!

moderator


thanks, uncle bob!

sad. abit disappointed with myself for the speaking test. too nervous. mind went blank. couldnt express myself clearly. and used the wrong tense. sigh!
no mood for drink anymore. :(
there goes my job offer.



what was the speaking test like ? what was the subject about?
don't lose heart, was it really all that bad?


bad, real bad. :(
topic was about making decision, how to make a decision. i remember the last question he asked, how does one influence a company in decision making (something like that). couldnt remember how i answered. something like one has to do thorough research on the issue... and the way to convey the message to the person in charge..bla bla bla...and he didnt look quite convincing. maybe i didnt express myself clearly enough.
argh! just have to wait 2 more wks for the result.
you will have to pray hard for me to nail it, for your free gin n tonic's sake.

nanana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2008

Postby nanana » Sun, 11 May 2014 2:23 am

Hahahaha! Results are out! I got 7 for both writing and speaking, and 8, 8.5 for listening and reading respectively. Yay!! Now just waiting for the confirmation of my job offer.
Thank you all for the tips!
Drinks anyone? It's on me!

passion09
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 08 Dec 2011

wats your overall score?

Postby passion09 » Mon, 12 May 2014 5:18 pm

[quote="nanana"]Hahahaha! Results are out! I got 7 for both writing and speaking, and 8, 8.5 for listening and reading respectively. Yay!! Now just waiting for the confirmation of my job offer.
Thank you all for the tips!
Drinks anyone? It's on me![/quote]


nananan:
May i know what is your overall score...
I am planning to take the test on 17th May
Do you have any tips to share? Kind a nervous as i am not attending the preparation class too.

Thanks

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 13 May 2014 10:07 am

nanana wrote:Hahahaha! Results are out! I got 7 for both writing and speaking, and 8, 8.5 for listening and reading respectively. Yay!! Now just waiting for the confirmation of my job offer.
Thank you all for the tips!
Drinks anyone? It's on me!


well done!! Drinks also can la!
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nanana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2008

Re: wats your overall score?

Postby nanana » Fri, 23 May 2014 11:27 pm

passion09 wrote:
nanana wrote:Hahahaha! Results are out! I got 7 for both writing and speaking, and 8, 8.5 for listening and reading respectively. Yay!! Now just waiting for the confirmation of my job offer.
Thank you all for the tips!
Drinks anyone? It's on me!



nananan:
May i know what is your overall score...
I am planning to take the test on 17th May
Do you have any tips to share? Kind a nervous as i am not attending the preparation class too.

Thanks


Oh dear! sorry I just saw your post. hope you did well in your IELTS.
my overall score was 7.5.

my tip for future IELTS candidates, I would do Essay 2 first instead of Essay 1, as it worths double the point.

nanana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2008

Postby nanana » Fri, 23 May 2014 11:29 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
nanana wrote:Hahahaha! Results are out! I got 7 for both writing and speaking, and 8, 8.5 for listening and reading respectively. Yay!! Now just waiting for the confirmation of my job offer.
Thank you all for the tips!
Drinks anyone? It's on me!


well done!! Drinks also can la!


let's wait for passion09's result. then we'll have double celebration! :lol:

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 23 May 2014 11:40 pm

nanana wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
nanana wrote:Hahahaha! Results are out! I got 7 for both writing and speaking, and 8, 8.5 for listening and reading respectively. Yay!! Now just waiting for the confirmation of my job offer.
Thank you all for the tips!
Drinks anyone? It's on me!


well done!! Drinks also can la!


let's wait for passion09's result. then we'll have double celebration! :lol:


ok! Sounds good! I'm having a gin and tonic as we speak I'll drink to that
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests