Singapore Expats

Electric Car Rental

Discuss about car leasing and rental in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Electric Car Rental

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 19 Apr 2014 9:07 am

My dissertation supervisor is visiting Singapore next week and is keen to try driving one of the very few electric vehicles around. Does anyone know if they are rented out?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 19 Apr 2014 9:29 am

FYI

SMOVE - car sharing
SMART - some sort of rental company but they don't yet have electric cars.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 20 Apr 2014 5:49 pm

I'm going to give Smove.com.sg a shout out here based on my experience so far. +ve service and they post bill! (They send invoices - can you believe that in Singapore - the country that invented prepaid e-toll?!). Some small issues to work out - they really need a bit more automation but clearly they're working hard on it. Some of their stuff is really smart but the pick up / drop up locations needs expanding badly outside the central area.

Talking to the owner the biggest issue is (surprise surprise) the lack of government regulations in the right direction (lots in the wrong direction). He's saying that HDB/EDB etc are getting on board with LTA for electric car sharing. I think in a decade you could see an electric car sharing lot in most larger HDB MS car parks?!

The biggest bug bear right now is that the current electrical regulations don't allow a user to charge from a standard 13A socket - you need to use the large industrial sockets or 3 round pin aircon socket as a min of 16A is needed and the EDA is not supportive.

IF you need a car on the occasion (or regular occasion) give them a go.

princessb

Re: Electric Car Rental

Post by princessb » Thu, 19 Jul 2018 5:46 pm

is it good to rent electric car?