Singapore Expats Forum

Hello MS & Sunday Morning Staple - Need your advice !

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

star8481
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014

Hello MS & Sunday Morning Staple - Need your advice !

Postby star8481 » Wed, 16 Apr 2014 6:06 am

Hello Mad Scientist & sundaymorningstaple,

i have read through first 11 pages of this thread and both of you are doing great service to genuinely naive people who are stuck in the muck.

Request your inputs in my case -

Both me and my spouse are blue IC Singapore PR and we made a mistake of taking PR for our son as well. Although son does NOT hold blue IC but just a stamp in passport.

We left SG when our son was 6 years old and moved to USA on job. We recently received Green Card here in USA. Now our son is turned 13 just 2 months ago.

Now we are scratching our head what to do - since we do not intend to return back to SG but at the same time do not wish to impact our son's chances of returning back to SG either job or as tourist. And also get our hard earned money maintained in CPF

So wondering what should be the correct way to proceed ??

Option 1) Surrender the PR for all 3 of us right away while in USA ( not sure whether they will create problem because we did not apply EP because our son turned 13 2 months ago )
or
Option 2) Apply for EP as part of procedure first ( because he is 13 years & 2 months ) & then surrender the PR after that. ( not sure if PR surrender will get impacted in any way because we received EP earlier).

Any other step ??

Would really be thankful for your knowledge based inputs.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5421
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 16 Apr 2014 6:45 am

WHY did you leave this so late to deal with? I believe the others will give advice but this is very close to the line.

star8481
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014

Postby star8481 » Thu, 17 Apr 2014 5:13 am

Hello PNGMK,

Yes Sir....it is my bad ...that we are starting this late. But our USA green cards were in process for some time. Probably we could have started this activity 2-3 months before.

But could you clarify and qualify your comment "this is very close to the line".

I am close to which timeline or deadline. If such deadline exists then by what time we need to do what ?? Unfortunately there is no clear laid down policy or procedure for handling this... so the question.

Can you please elaborate.

Thanks.

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:44 am

Why did you keep the PR for 7 years in SG when it is clear you weren't moving back?
nutnut

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Hello MS & Sunday Morning Staple - Need your advice

Postby yogaloungeforever » Sun, 20 Apr 2014 12:42 am

naive?! yeah right. It's peeps like you who spoil the PR apps for the likes of us who have not obtained PR yet


star8481 wrote:Hello Mad Scientist & sundaymorningstaple,

i have read through first 11 pages of this thread and both of you are doing great service to genuinely naive people who are stuck in the muck.

Request your inputs in my case -

Both me and my spouse are blue IC Singapore PR and we made a mistake of taking PR for our son as well. Although son does NOT hold blue IC but just a stamp in passport.

We left SG when our son was 6 years old and moved to USA on job. We recently received Green Card here in USA. Now our son is turned 13 just 2 months ago.

Now we are scratching our head what to do - since we do not intend to return back to SG but at the same time do not wish to impact our son's chances of returning back to SG either job or as tourist. And also get our hard earned money maintained in CPF

So wondering what should be the correct way to proceed ??

Option 1) Surrender the PR for all 3 of us right away while in USA ( not sure whether they will create problem because we did not apply EP because our son turned 13 2 months ago )
or
Option 2) Apply for EP as part of procedure first ( because he is 13 years & 2 months ) & then surrender the PR after that. ( not sure if PR surrender will get impacted in any way because we received EP earlier).

Any other step ??

Would really be thankful for your knowledge based inputs.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks.
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5421
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 20 Apr 2014 9:03 am

star8481 wrote:Hello PNGMK,

Yes Sir....it is my bad ...that we are starting this late. But our USA green cards were in process for some time. Probably we could have started this activity 2-3 months before.

But could you clarify and qualify your comment "this is very close to the line".

I am close to which timeline or deadline. If such deadline exists then by what time we need to do what ?? Unfortunately there is no clear laid down policy or procedure for handling this... so the question.

Can you please elaborate.

Thanks.


Close to the age you can legitimately get your son out of NS, is what I meant.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest