Singapore Expats

Weight Problem

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Weight Problem

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 4:57 am

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 8:10 am

It's due to Asians being skinny naturally, their BMI is naturally lower. It's like a healthy caucasian being rated by local BMI ratings in Singapore and being told to lose weight in schools (like a daughter of a friend of mine).

Hardly news worthy though IMO, imagine if I went to the papers everytime someone told me I had to lose weight.
nutnut

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 8:24 am

At last some sound action from one of the top universities. Such people should be punished and on top of it they should be also taxed.

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 9:32 am

x9200 wrote:At last some sound action from one of the top universities. Such people should be punished and on top of it they should be also taxed.
+1

:twisted: :twisted:
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 9:47 am

Very amusing. I also agree with nutnut that the reverse can happen, and unfortunately, more often.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 10:55 am

Yep, it's sad that someone who is so slim has had this happen, but, realistically, it's something that happens to bigger folk all the time.

It's one of life's horrible facts. Still don't think it's news worthy.
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 10:58 am

Depends on how you look at it. Her education in Yale is threatened because of misdiagnosis of her weight "problem". Any medical professional worth his salt would know that Western and Eastern BMI scales are different.

I think it is news worthy on that matter.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 2:51 pm

I worked in the modeling industry for nearly 10 years and in all that time, just one girl admitted to me that she was bulemic; all others, when it came to meal time they all had "a fast metabolism".

That said, there's no way to justify the presumed guilty till proven innocent approach here of course.

Edit: Typo.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:32 am

They could have worked with her parents to establish her weight pattern as the parents would want intervention if the daughter has a problem. And the irony, in order to comply with the school's requirement, she had to make unhealthy choice..... avoiding exercise by taking the elevator.