Singapore Expats

New - moving with 4 kids

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 7:08 pm

We thought about moving to Sentosa. Then our school bus company informed us that they would charge an extra $700!!! per kid to drive across that stupid bridge. I'm not sure if that's due to the gantry charge or just simple profiteering.

If you don't need busses and don't mind dealing with the bridge - it seems like community. Lots of green space, not too densely populated.

Makingthemove
Regular
Regular

Post by Makingthemove » Thu, 01 May 2014 5:24 pm

Hi and welcome,

Not been on here in a while but interesting to come back and rejoin the general schools chatter. Nothing changes much in terms of questions-and-answers, and the best thing by far is to see if a trip out here can be arranged.

I'd angle the school you want on the re-entry into the future country, so get something lined up as close to the Irish system as poss. Not essential, just an idea.

We are moving to Dulwich this August. There is a wait list, yes, but as this is a brand new school it's only just started up so it won't be as long, I don't think, as the others. Can't advise you on what it's like, of course, but being in regular contact it all seems good so far.

As for location, we are in Holland Village. Recommend making the work commute the longest and the school commute the shortest. School buses are fine. You will prob get a car with four so will prob end up doing the school run yourself.

Good luck! Narrow it all down and then ask more questions, is my final tip.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 01 May 2014 8:56 pm

You will be tired of Sentosa after a week, not to mention feeling isolated and cut off from everything Singapore has to offer.

Look for something by the River, between Robertson Quay and GWC. It won't feel overcrowded and you can even take long walks along the river, all the way to the Esplanade, the Marina Bay Sands, basically a full circle there before heading back through the Fullerton and then home. You won't even have to cross a single road. Plus you have the option of using the river boats as water taxis.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Fri, 02 May 2014 2:46 pm

Although the general sentiment on here seems to suggest avoid Sentosa, there are currently some mega deals to be done as landlords can't get the tenants. I've heard of 4 + 1 bedroom apartments bargained down to 6.5k with sea views / rooftop balconies. Sentosa residents travel for free across the bridge and there is a regular shuttle bus to Vivo. I've never heard of school buses charging extra just based on distance surely ? The new Sentosa Gateway underpass opens soon which will speed you onto the AYE for all the Dover Road area schools - DCPS, Tanglin, UWC etc. Keep it to yourself or everyone will be moving soon Shhhhh.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

International School

Post by joop » Fri, 02 May 2014 3:00 pm

Can visit GEMS World Academy which is opening soon, they are currently opened for enrolment.

http://www.gemsworldacademy-singapore.com/

Others:

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/guides-f ... chools.htm
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

TryingTBBMom

moving to singapore

Post by TryingTBBMom » Fri, 09 May 2014 2:26 pm

Don't forget there are lovely landed houses for larger families off Bukit Timah and Clemente Arcade, Sunset Way and off Ulu Pandan and Holland Village area. All are within a quick bus or taxi to UWC,DOVER, Tanglin, ect… There is also a lovely little school called Avondale. It's NSW curriculum but for little ones it's a gem. Do not not look at avondale because it's off the radar, but visit during school hours and check out how the kids are engaging. That actually should be on your priority at looking at all schools. Especially if your kids are use to a small village school environment.