Singapore Expats

Average Speed Camera

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
bgd
Manager
Manager

Average Speed Camera

Post by bgd » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 12:39 pm

In case anyone missed the newspaper article there are new speed cameras on the Changi Coast Road.

They are set on gantries at either end and time vehicles over a 4km distance. If you arrive too quickly at the second camera expect a fine in the post.

I think this is the first time these cameras have been used in Sg. I guess a taste of things to come.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 12:55 pm

These are common in UK, they tend to pick up those who slow down for the camera and tank it in between without knowledge. Best is to set your cruise control if you have it.
nutnut

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Average Speed Camera

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 2:11 pm

bgd wrote:In case anyone missed the newspaper article there are new speed cameras on the Changi Coast Road.

They are set on gantries at either end and time vehicles over a 4km distance. If you arrive too quickly at the second camera expect a fine in the post.

I think this is the first time these cameras have been used in Sg. I guess a taste of things to come.
Considering that road is the local drag strip I'm not really surprised.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Tue, 01 Apr 2014 1:59 pm

The only surprise is why they haven't combined this with the ERP gantries...instead of investing in number-plate recognition cameras to track vehicles. The IU in each car can already be tracked. Seems like paying twice.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Apr 2014 5:15 pm

I don't think there are any gantries on the airport road nor the Tuas road at the other end of the island. It's a darn good idea though from a cost point of view, using hardware assets already deployed.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers