Singapore Expats

citizenship chances for my mom, an unique case

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
xiaomitty

citizenship chances for my mom, an unique case

Post by xiaomitty » Sun, 30 Mar 2014 10:35 pm

Hi
I am 19yr old gal. My family(parentsand my 13 year old sis) are china citizens who have been pr for more than 13 years. My parents were born in china but my sis was born in singapore while i was born in europe(parents met in europe and worked there at that time). My mom is 1/4 arab, maybe thats why she doesnt have typical China look. But on her IC her race is still chinese though she can be considered eurasian. Both my sister and I look and sound Singaporean. Everyone think my sis and I are Singaporean or Malaysian. I cannot apply on my own as I am below 21 so my mom (46yrs old, degree holder, earn 3.2k a month) is applying. My dad thinks he better not apply as he is unemployed and and 61 years old already, albeit a PHd holder. Actually my family has wanted to apply since years ago but were scared that they would be rejected. My Family has not visited china for many years. I have never lived in China before. My sister has never even visited china before and is nowin an elite girls secondary school. I was from elite schools too but took a hiatus from university to supplement family income. I am doing quite well in sales earning abt 5k a month, but I will take up a parttime degree soon. We live in rented 3 rm flat that cost 1.5k a month. My parents dont want to buy as they say flat prices will drop soon.
I guess our disadvantage is low income and rented flat right? But advantage is long stay and that my sis and I are no different from Singaporeans except in name. What do you think ? Should my dad apply? Should my mom point out she as arab blood? She is not muslim btw but this can make her stand out. We definitely identify as Singaporeans. Moreover i need to be officially singaporean to join miss singapore universe etc, i really wanna do singapore proud. I am definitely more singaporean than so many new citizens. I already joined a pageant last year that accepts PRs and was in top 5.
thank you:)

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 12:18 pm

xiaomitty wrote:Hi
I am 19yr old gal. My family(parentsand my 13 year old sis) are china citizens who have been pr for more than 13 years. My parents were born in china but my sis was born in singapore while i was born in europe(parents met in europe and worked there at that time). My mom is 1/4 arab, maybe thats why she doesnt have typical China look. But on her IC her race is still chinese though she can be considered eurasian. Both my sister and I look and sound Singaporean. Everyone think my sis and I are Singaporean or Malaysian. I cannot apply on my own as I am below 21 so my mom (46yrs old, degree holder, earn 3.2k a month) is applying. My dad thinks he better not apply as he is unemployed and and 61 years old already, albeit a PHd holder. Actually my family has wanted to apply since years ago but were scared that they would be rejected. My Family has not visited china for many years. I have never lived in China before. My sister has never even visited china before and is nowin an elite girls secondary school. I was from elite schools too but took a hiatus from university to supplement family income. I am doing quite well in sales earning abt 5k a month, but I will take up a parttime degree soon. We live in rented 3 rm flat that cost 1.5k a month. My parents dont want to buy as they say flat prices will drop soon.
I guess our disadvantage is low income and rented flat right? But advantage is long stay and that my sis and I are no different from Singaporeans except in name. What do you think ? Should my dad apply? Should my mom point out she as arab blood? She is not muslim btw but this can make her stand out. We definitely identify as Singaporeans. Moreover i need to be officially singaporean to join miss singapore universe etc, i really wanna do singapore proud. I am definitely more singaporean than so many new citizens. I already joined a pageant last year that accepts PRs and was in top 5.
thank you:)
it seems like your family is here to stay and applying as a family (with 2 daughters) seem to be a better idea than anything else right now.

if it fails, you can apply based on your own merits a few years down the road...?

i think being "chinese" is an advantage, so i'm unsure if changing your mom's ethnicity at this time is a good idea. if she wants it changed at a later time (say, for purposes of buying an HDB flat), i'm pretty sure it's still possible with the correct documentation of her ancestry - double-barreled ethnicity is also allowed if i'm not wrong.

good luck with your pageantry and application.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam