Singapore Expats

My child born in Ukraine in need of good advice

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Icyrave

My child born in Ukraine in need of good advice

Post by Icyrave » Sun, 30 Mar 2014 7:44 pm

Hi good evening to all, I am currently in Ukraine and I am a Singapore citizen, my gf is a Ukrainian,

My gf gave birth to my child last month and we are planning to move to Singapore with the child, please note we are not married yet due to religious reasons we are planning to get married after June this year, my child's birth certificate has my name in it and I've translated it officially in Ukraine and also my gf eduction certificates.

We have a desire for my gf to start working in Singapore and we sell our property in Ukraine and buy a house in Singapore with both our names, and wondering how I can get my child and wife a pr or citizenship

The whole idea is for my wife to work in Singapore and us to buy a house together. And start our family in Singapore like every Singaporeans.

I want to be with my family.

Please advice thank you.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 30 Mar 2014 8:03 pm

well, start searching this forum and ask any questions you feel hasn't been answered in all the other threads you have found/will find after the search.

is your child a ukrainian citizen? do you intend to report his/her birth to singapore and claim citizenship? or will he/she be in singapore as a foreigner? remember to plan ahead if NS issues are involved.

do you know what is involved with lodging an LTVP application for your wife? (has to be your wife coz girlfriends don't qualify if i'm not wrong)

is your baby's mom suitably qualified to get a job based on her own merits? (she won't be able to work on the LTVP - she can find out if she qualifies for a work pass at MOM's self assessment web page)

and... after marriage, will you make enough money to support her LTVP/LTVP+/PR application? if you won't, then do you have enough savings to support her and your child?

note that residency and working rights are not guaranteed to a singaporean's non-singaporean spouse. good luck! and congrats on the birth.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 30 Mar 2014 8:05 pm

1. Citizenship of the newborn
Citizenship by descent
—(1) Subject to clauses (2) and (3), a person born outside Singapore after 16th September 1963 shall be a citizen of Singapore by descent if, at the time of his birth —
(a)
where the person is born before the date of commencement of section 7 of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore (Amendment) Act 2004, his father is a citizen of Singapore, by birth or registration; and
(b)
where the person is born on or after the date of commencement of section 7 of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore (Amendment) Act 2004, either his father or mother is a citizen of Singapore, by birth, registration or descent.
(2) A person born outside Singapore shall not be a citizen of Singapore by descent by virtue of clause (1) unless —
(a)
his birth is registered in the prescribed manner at the Registry of Citizens or at a diplomatic or consular mission of Singapore within one year, or such longer period as the Government permits, after its occurrence; and
(b)
he would not acquire the citizenship of the country in which he was born by reason of his birth in that country where —
(i)
in the case of a person born before the date of commencement of section 7 of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore (Amendment) Act 2004, his father is a citizen of Singapore by registration at the time of his birth; or
(ii)
in the case of a person born on or after the date of commencement of section 7 of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore (Amendment) Act 2004, either his father or mother is a citizen of Singapore by registration at the time of his birth.
(3) Without prejudice to clause (2), a person born outside Singapore of a father or mother who is a citizen by descent at the time of his birth shall not be a citizen of Singapore by descent by virtue of clause (1) unless the parent who is the citizen by descent has lawfully resided in Singapore —
(a)
for a period of, or for periods amounting in the aggregate to, not less than 5 years before that person’s birth; or
(b)
for a period of, or for periods amounting in the aggregate to, not less than 2 years during the period of 5 years immediately preceding that person’s birth.
(4) A person who, being a minor, becomes a citizen of Singapore by descent shall cease to be a citizen of Singapore on attaining the age of 22 years unless within 12 months after he attains the age of 21 years he takes the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty in the form set out in the Second Schedule and where the Government so requires divests himself of any foreign citizenship or nationality.
2. Your GF working in Singapore - only by her own merits. She has to get a work pass. Even if you marry her right now she unlikely will be able to work based on this within 1-2 years.

Icyrave

Post by Icyrave » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 12:42 am

And how much will I need to earn to let them allow my family to stay with me. My parents will be helping with money as well

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 6:45 am

The latest figures seem to be in the neighbourhood of $3500~$4000/mo 'basic"salary. Help from parents, etc, not counted. You would have to be able to show a couple of years NOA from IRAS or at least 6 months of Pay Vouchers to be able to show that "YOU" can support her. (Provided which, you are legally married in the first place). Singapore does not support unmarried gf status when it come to one of their own.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 8:50 am

On one hand the policy seems to be to encourage more SC's to give birth and increase the population of the country, but on the other hand it seems to discourage SC's to marry non SC's and have offspring.

Good luck to the OP, I hope you will manage to marry your gf and bring her to Singapore eventually.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 12:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The latest figures seem to be in the neighbourhood of $3500~$4000/mo 'basic"salary. Help from parents, etc, not counted. You would have to be able to show a couple of years NOA from IRAS or at least 6 months of Pay Vouchers to be able to show that "YOU" can support her....
just spitballing here...

would it be possible for the OP to show a bank statement chock full o' cash in lieu of 6 months' pay slips or tax assessments?

how about a sworn statement that the OP's parents have sufficient proven funds/income and can undertake the financial responsibility of their daughter-in-law and grand child?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 12:56 pm

You think, SG government will be more accepting for Ukrainians from now on?

How about: if Russia invades Donetsk and I don't want to take Russian citizenship, can I apply for refuge in Singapore and take SGrean citizenship? :mrgreen:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 1:31 pm

taxico, I reckon if his bank account is stuffed like an Indonesian Tycoon when on a condo purchasing spree here, he could probably pull it off. But letters from others for support? Not sure. Can try, but it wouldn't be something I'd put any odds on. I doubt it on the parents side as well. Again, nothing stopping them from trying, but I sure wouldn't hold my breathe while waiting.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 1:33 pm

Sergei82 wrote:You think, SG government will be more accepting for Ukrainians from now on?

How about: if Russia invades Donetsk and I don't want to take Russian citizenship, can I apply for refuge in Singapore and take SGrean citizenship? :mrgreen:
Considering how they wouldn't even take their Asian neighbours when they were refugees (VN Refugee program) I wouldn't hold your breath. :-|

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 1:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:You think, SG government will be more accepting for Ukrainians from now on?

Considering how they wouldn't even take their Asian neighbours when they were refugees (VN Refugee program) I wouldn't hold your breath. :-|
It was "mostly" joking.
But I'm not talking about being completely jobless refugee. Just wonder will it improve my chances of getting PR/Citizenship considering I already have a well-paying job here and have been living in Singapore for 4,5 years by now. :)

Icyrave

Post by Icyrave » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 2:45 pm

She's really struggling there being alone she has no help and no family there as we'll all of them passed away from a fire accident I just got back to Singapore, I am. to earning 3.5k a math I'm only like 26 haha good game to me. Please advice what my 1st step should be

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 2:55 pm

Once again, why marrying her is not an option?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 3:06 pm

Icyrave wrote:She's really struggling there being alone she has no help and no family there as we'll all of them passed away from a fire accident I just got back to Singapore, I am. to earning 3.5k a math I'm only like 26 haha good game to me. Please advice what my 1st step should be
1. Marry her.

If you want us to assess her chances in getting a work pass you have to provide her education/work profile.

Icyrave

Post by Icyrave » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 3:06 pm

I am going to marry her for sure after June