Singapore Expats Forum

English School for Adults

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Bafana

English School for Adults

Postby Bafana » Sun, 09 Jan 2005 7:44 pm

Hi guys

I am trying to help a friend that wants to bring his girlfriend into Singapore to study English. She is an adult and has only year 9 qualifications.

The secondfold of his plan is to also get her a Student VISA so the school will have to be able to offer both.

Can anyone advise on school nams, phone numbers and likely costs.

Thanxs :wink:

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Mon, 10 Jan 2005 1:39 pm

C'mon guys - We need your help and input here...

Thanxs...

EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 8:08 pm

What you need to do is look at the classifieds section advertising language or computer classes. Lots of private schools offering English and computer courses to foreigners. The student visa is processed through the school, I believe.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:16 pm

Thats a good tip.

I was wondering if anyone had had any direct experience with any schools and once tried is better then the unknown.

(BTW I will buy a newspaper tomorrow and have a look - Which is the better paper for this sort of thing???)

EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:31 pm

Try the Straits Times. Best day is Saturday when the classifieds is packed, though mostly with jobs in the recruit section, but you will see courses offered too in the main classifieds.

I once taught English to foreigners at 2 of these private schools. I know that Coleman has been around and has a few branches. The other one I taught at has closed I think. These schools exist primarily to make money. Your friend's friend will learn some English, but don't expect too much. Most of the older students use these classes as a means to stay on in Singapore for whatever reason and put up with their classes as an inconvenience of sorts!

In fact I remember one cute girl who had a Grade 9 education... but her English was hopeless! But never mind, she had other things to do!

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 8:00 am

You are very insightful.

Point taken and I will warn my friend but I suppose he is smiten enough to take a bit extra stress on that level...

Thanks for the advise 8)