Singapore Expats

Best district for local school

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
Millypede

Best district for local school

Post by Millypede » Sun, 30 Mar 2014 1:21 pm

Hi Everyone!
I hope someone can provide a little guidance on the following;

We are moving to Singapore in July and have not as yet, decided on which area to live. Considering the price of International Schools, we are thinking of sending our Son (6 turning 7) to a local school.

I don't necessarily want a 'popular school' where they will work him too hard and he will not enjoy actually going to school (which he loves now). Are there any other schools that will provide good academic results but where kids actually enjoy going?!? (Or is this too much to ask?! Haha)

He loves structure and makes friends quite easily, so I'm hoping the transition will not be too hard on him... :?

Also, we have a 2 and half year old who we want to send to pre-school... no idea where to even start!

I have looked on the forum, but can't find any (recent) recommendations that are relevant.

Thanks!!

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Best district for local school

Post by BedokAmerican » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 1:29 pm

Millypede wrote:Hi Everyone!
I hope someone can provide a little guidance on the following;

We are moving to Singapore in July and have not as yet, decided on which area to live. Considering the price of International Schools, we are thinking of sending our Son (6 turning 7) to a local school.

I don't necessarily want a 'popular school' where they will work him too hard and he will not enjoy actually going to school (which he loves now). Are there any other schools that will provide good academic results but where kids actually enjoy going?!? (Or is this too much to ask?! Haha)

He loves structure and makes friends quite easily, so I'm hoping the transition will not be too hard on him... :?

Also, we have a 2 and half year old who we want to send to pre-school... no idea where to even start!

I have looked on the forum, but can't find any (recent) recommendations that are relevant.

Thanks!!
In a situation like this, things work differently in Singapore than in other countries. Just because you live at a certain address doesn't mean your child will get into a particular school. Citizens and permanent residents get first and second picks, respectively. Foreigners get last priority. Oftentimes, foreigners can't get their kids into local schools near where they live and have to put their kids on a bus. Therefore, I wouldn't base a decision on where to live on the local school because there's a good chance your child won't be able to get in to that school.

From what I've heard, oftentimes the local schools with openings are in the outlying areas, such as near the airport, Tampines, Pasir Ris, Jurong, etc, but I'm sure there are some exceptions. Keep in mind, though, that living in the outlying areas isn't always convenient if you work downtown.

Also, public doesn't mean free. Foreigners pay about $500 per month per kid for primary school and close to $700 per month for secondary, plus transportation.

This link might be of help:
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissi ... eral-info/

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 4:15 pm

If you or your spouse is not currently a PR or Singapore citizen, you would be under Phase 3 under the registration process:
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissi ... on/phases/

If you have some preferred area (close to office, etc), you can refer to this site to see which school within the preferred area, to identify which school are really popular (i.e. no chance for your kids to go in at all). If there are huge vacancies left at Phase 2C, it is likely that your kid have a chance to get in, under Phase 3 (but its not guaranteed).
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... ng-history

You can also refer to this forum, which talks about Pri 1 Registration for Foreigners & Phase 3
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=150

In addition, you can use this site (Under "Services", select "SchoolQuery")to identify the schools near your new address:
http://www.onemap.sg/index.html

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 4:46 pm

You'll be lucky to get a place at all within reasonable distance much less the place you want.

Millypede

Post by Millypede » Fri, 04 Apr 2014 10:55 am

I did expect that local schools would not be free, but $500 (or thereabouts) per month is much better than $2,500....

Thank you for all your help!