Singapore Expats

Renting a HDB flat - how to & anything to look out for?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
dax123

Renting a HDB flat - how to & anything to look out for?

Post by dax123 » Wed, 26 Mar 2014 9:20 pm

After living in a condo for two years I'm now thinking of moving to a HDB flat. This is mainly to save money as HDB flats are a lot more affordable than condos in the area I'm looking at (Tanjong Pagar / Outram Park).

Just wondering if there are particular things I should look out for. I don't intend to use an agent myself, but are HDBs typically rented out through an owner's agent in the same way that condos are? If not, is there a better way of reaching HDB owners directly? Like through ads in the surounding neighboorhoud or something like that?

My preference is for newer style HDBs. I noticed that the pricing differential between newish HDBs (built in the 2000s) and older HDBs (1970s/1980s) is not really that significant. This surprises me as condos seem to get substantially cheaper as they get older. Any reason why this might be the case?

I'm also aware of the foreigner quotas but these do not affect the particular buildings I'm looking at.

I noted that a lot of HDBs are furnished. I'm guessing I may not like the landlord's taste in furniture. Would it generally be a problem to ask for no furniture?

Thanks for any help!

Search By

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:11 am

I think it is almost the same as renting a condo except the act of subletting it. I think HDB does not allow it as it is illegal. The usual reading the fine prints and ensuring all things are the way it is before you rent the place apply

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Renting a HDB flat - how to & anything to look out f

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:01 am

dax123 wrote: My preference is for newer style HDBs. I noticed that the pricing differential between newish HDBs (built in the 2000s) and older HDBs (1970s/1980s) is not really that significant. This surprises me as condos seem to get substantially cheaper as they get older. Any reason why this might be the case?
Very easy. Older HDB are usually in mature estates. This means better facilities. There are probably MRT stations nearby, good bus links, good infrastructure (town centres with a range of services available, possibly even with a hospital nearby). And for me, SIZE. Older units especially those built in the 80's are good sized. I have a 4 BR 5 room older HDB that has 1305 sqft (121 SqMtr) Compare that with newer 5 room HDB that are only around 96~105 SgMtr in size.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:42 am